DHS Says Grants on the Way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHS Says Grants on the Way.

In past years, Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Program, formerly known as the Firefighter Investment and Response Enhancement (FIRE) Act, began announcing awards to fire departments as early as June. This year, no awards have yet been made and there is a reason according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

After an inquiry from Firehouse.Com News, spokesperson Branda Napper emailed this response. "As required by statute, a notice outlining the FY 2006 program guidelines for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Program must be published in the Federal Register before awards can be made. This notice is expected to post on Wednesday, September 6. Accordingly, DHS will begin the process of making awards immediately following the posting and expects to issue the first FY 2006 AFG awards within approximately four weeks."

Why it took so long to move to publish the guidelines is not answered. In the past, copies of the "Final Rule", a plan outlining the criteria to be used to determine successful grant applications, have appeared in the Federal Register as early as February 27,2002 and March 14, 2003. It is not clear to what guidelines DHS is referring.

When DHS begins to announce the awards, Firehouse.com will post the results.

Answers...Sort of

Seems to me that in typical fashion we get a half a**ed response as to whats going on. Now i wonder how much my original quote has gone up and what I'll have to cut out.

Comment

Some of us remember the bad old days, when these grants were not even a gleam in our eyes. I would rather have them late, and had the foresite to plan on the fact that it may take till December, or even later to get the grant approval, then not to get them at all.

Anyone who is complaining about the cost of the truck going up should have planned beforehand (IMHO) that even if the grants dropped in June, that their approval might still take many months.

Great things are coming folks, griping about the delay ain't going to help, and just increases stress. Aren't we all trying to decrease stress?

Comment

Originally posted by NewAtThisGame
        Seems to me that in typical fashion we get a half a**ed response as to whats going on. Now i wonder how much my original quote has gone up and what I'll have to cut out.
        All I can say is "About time" and "Way to go FH.com for getting some kind of answer!
        As to the price quotes: We just started requesting updated price quotes this week on our pumper specs. The last quotes we had were back in March. So far, the couple we have recieved back are an average of 20K more that what we applied for! And we allowed for the increse due to the new emissions standards. Apparently, everything else has gone up too! Hoping to hear back from some more and hope they will be closer to our application amount.
        Last edited by jmkfire; 09-01-2006, 05:58 PM.
        sigpic
        "Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Comment

Pre-award notifications will be coming fast, and they will be working to turn them around even faster. I'll echo LVFD's comments that at least they're coming late.
          Brian P. Vickers
          www.vickersconsultingservices.com
          Emergency Services Consulting
          Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
          Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301
            Some of us remember the bad old days, when these grants were not even a gleam in our eyes. I would rather have them late, and had the foresite to plan on the fact that it may take till December, or even later to get the grant approval, then not to get them at all.

Anyone who is complaining about the cost of the truck going up should have planned beforehand (IMHO) that even if the grants dropped in June, that their approval might still take many months.

Great things are coming folks, griping about the delay ain't going to help, and just increases stress. Aren't we all trying to decrease stress?
            AMEN to that one!!
            "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
            -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

Originally posted by DianeC
              AMEN to that one!!
              And let the games begin
              Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Originally posted by THEFIRENUT
                And let the games begin
                So I'm guessing that theoretically, if things happen as stated in the article, on the 6th the games could begin as soon as the 7th with the first batch of 10Q's going out?
                Just excited to see that the runners are finally in the blocks and the starting pistol is in the air
                Gotta love it!
                Last edited by jmkfire; 09-02-2006, 09:03 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

No point in stressing out on something that no one has control over. Better late (awards) than never. If what they say is true, DHS could have saved alot of heartburn and stress by making a posting on the website with the info that they supplied to Firehouse.com. A little info goes a long way.

There is probably at least 2-3 levels of red tape to get the blanks to fire the starting gun.

Comment

Well, if things are going to possibly be moving by the 6th, or 7th of September. then I better get drinking this weekend away! Ya know as a pre party to our award notification . Besides it will probably be towards the end of the week as all the government staff will be recuperating from the Labor Day festivities. It's a long weekend so stay safe!
                    Last edited by bukstpsear; 09-02-2006, 10:19 AM. Reason: Gramma
                    Always confident, ever vigilant.

Comment

Remember we are dealing with DHS. Be sure to add at least 2 months to any date they quote.

Comment

Nfirs

What ever happened to the lawsuit that was filed by departments that were not reporting to NFIRS???
                        I saw information from the lawyers that they threatened to hold up the grants until the 3 departments who are challenging the mandate were heard.

Comment

Originally posted by k3twpfire
                          Remember we are dealing with DHS. Be sure to add at least 2 months to any date they quote.
                          Let's see if that works! Was to start in June . Then you have July (1), then August (2), Suppose to to get started tomorrow . I believe I can agree with the add 2 months theory
                          sigpic

Comment

Last Hurdle Cleared

The last legislative hurdle, that has been holding up the 2006 AFG Award process, was officially cleared this morning with this posting in the Federal Registry.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...06/E6-14759.htm

This is the "beast" that has been keeeping things tied up for the past month and keeping everyone on pins and needles. 10q's and 1199a updates should start flowing like Niagra Falls duringthe next week for a first round awrad announcement before September 30 ( pessimistically guessing here folks). Start checking your email daily and especialy on Wednesdays adn Fridays, traditionally the days that DHS sends or posts the new requests for more information out. Answer your emails promptly without delay.Let the games officially begin folks. Ready, set, go!
                            Kurt Bradley
                            Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                            " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780
                              The last legislative hurdle, that has been holding up the 2006 AFG Award process, was officially cleared this morning with this posting in the Federal Registry.

This ruins the people who were complaining about the big conspiracies behind the delay.

I honestly believe some of the "names" who have written columns about how terrible DHS is because of the delay actually knew what the delay was, but figured they could claim "their" column helped to break the logjam...... ah, politics.

Me, I just am happy they started, now if only I could get an AFG grant.....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X