• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disposition question

For a department somewhat close by,

Names and items are changed to protect the innocent, in hopes
    that they stay that way....

XXXX Department gets a grant in say, 2003, for a 50K vehicle. New.

Their city fathers decide in 2006 that the department no longer needs the item (although the need that it was purchased for continues on) and tells the Fire Department to sell it.

Now, another department wants to buy it. They are going to apply for a FP&S grant to buy it. Remember, a vehicle is not always a vehicle, as in perhaps a trailer?

How long does that first department need to hang on to that piece of equipment, and can another AFG grant be used to purchase it, effectively
    buying the same piece of equipment twice?

I believe the short and sweet answer is NO! If I remember right, there is something about keeping items purchased with grant funds for the duration of their servicable life. I believe there was something else about disposing of it or donating it, not selling it. This may be stated in the guidance documents somewhere.
    sigpic
    "Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Comment

Department #1 must keep all equipment for a minimum of 3 years.

Department #2 can purchase the 'used' item with a grant.

I just happen to have my amateur Sherlock Holmes hat on, and I'm guessing that someone in city hall is telling the FD to sell their Fire Safety house, after all it is the lone vehicle that can be bought with FP funds.

If the FD paid the matching and the city has no ownership of it, I'd tell them to stuff it. And make the citizens aware that a highly beneficial tool to prevent their kids from getting hurt or dying is being forced from their community.

Just another stupid city hall move. Like those I've had to fight with to pay the 5% match on a new truck or PPE. It was practically free why get rid of it? Idiots.
      Brian P. Vickers
      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
      Emergency Services Consulting
      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

I found this little tid-bit in our '04 close out letter: "It is understood that XXXX Fire Department will maintain all equipment/supplies purchased through the Assistance to
        Firefighter grant for the entire life cycle of the equipment/supplies."
        sigpic
        "Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Comment

The Final Rule and 2003 PG hold no secrets. They have tightened up on this sort of thing since the beginning. Paperwork has to be held for at least 3 years, equipment was assumed to be the same. I guess that's why the 2004 closeout letter read that way, people were starting to think about selling the goods.
          Brian P. Vickers
          www.vickersconsultingservices.com
          Emergency Services Consulting
          Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
          Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse