No announcement yet.

Do the political leaders know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our department will endorse most any politician that will bring help to our department.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
      You don't send letters to go along with your folks applications? While it is not a big help, it can sway things to a positive end for the applications that might be balanceing on the fence.
      I didn't say we didn't do it! Of course we do it! But it doesn't make a difference.
      "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
      -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780
        I am currently aware of one of my clients who, after being instructed to alert the grants liaison person at his local congressmans office of their plight, is now recieving $5000.00 in funding quarterly from that congressman's input and direction. It never hurts folks! These politicians are experts at fundraising, they know where the money is and how and whom to contact to get it. Don't ignore this vital link ot the grants process.
        Yes, this is possible. But it's also very hard depending on where you are, who your member is, what committees they're on, who they get along with (after all, it is politics), etc. The appropriations process is very complicated. It's not to be confused with the AFG/SAFER programs that are decided off Capitol Hill essentially by your peers.
        "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
        -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

You may lose your Non-Profit Status!!

The way the IRS rules read, I believe that if you do a commercial for a political candidate a fire company could lose their tax exempt status. I'd speak with your tax preparer or a tax lawyer before I would do an endorsement commercial for a politician.

Comment

Originally posted by leewhiz
            The way the IRS rules read, I believe that if you do a commercial for a political candidate a fire company could lose their tax exempt status. I'd speak with your tax preparer or a tax lawyer before I would do an endorsement commercial for a politician.
            People, PLEASE pay attention to this post. leewhiz is 100% correct. If you're a nonprofit, which fits most every vollie department in the US, and you engage in political activity like endorsing candidates you are in severe peril. The plain truth is you're violating IRS rules and can lose your nonprofit status.

Comment

Originally posted by EFD840
              People, PLEASE pay attention to this post. leewhiz is 100% correct. If you're a nonprofit, which fits most every vollie department in the US, and you engage in political activity like endorsing candidates you are in severe peril. The plain truth is you're violating IRS rules and can lose your nonprofit status.

Not doubting you, but can you provide specifics?

There are thousands of non profits out there that come out in support of various candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301
                Not doubting you, but can you provide specifics?

There are thousands of non profits out there that come out in support of various candidates.
                True, but the results can be devestating. Much depends on the targeted field for enforcement. For presidential elections in recent years, the religious community has been an "enforcement zone". Much of what you see as endorsements/contributions from non-profits likely comes through a separate political action committee (PAC) which somehow puts a legal arms-length between the non-profit and the politics and also allows for lobbying efforts.

earl

Comment

This kinda got away from what I asked and I appreciate all of your input and insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenacres2
                    True, but the results can be devestating. Much depends on the targeted field for enforcement. For presidential elections in recent years, the religious community has been an "enforcement zone". Much of what you see as endorsements/contributions from non-profits likely comes through a separate political action committee (PAC) which somehow puts a legal arms-length between the non-profit and the politics and also allows for lobbying efforts.

earl

And understand, I am not argueing that - I just want someplace to go where
                    I can see specifics, and know what we are doing .

Thanks!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X