Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bsfd9301
    replied
    After we seen your truck being built we desided to get the back-up camera as well. Dewey showed us yours and we fell in love with it.

Leave a comment:

• Nebo424
    replied
    Bluegrass was great to work with. I was dealing with Dewey. He was great never had a problem. He would go out of his way to help. Really like working with Bluegrass. This makes the second Bluegrass truck to come into the our county. They have been great even once the truck is here. You should not have one problem with him.

Leave a comment:

• Bsfd9301
    replied
    How did Bluegrass Fire Apparatus treat you all, we ordered ours from them and was down there when they were putting the pump into yours, It is nice, I have seen it first hand.

Good looking.

Leave a comment:

• Nebo424
    replied
    OUr cafs truck is first out in our area and is are main pumper, I agree that if a cafs truck show up that it should be used for the cafs. However this is only the second cafs truck in the area and the rest of the department do not understand that operations of cafs and it benifits. So when they call they want a tanker. They want to use there trucks. So that is what we give them. They are incharge of the fire grounds so we do what they ask. Even if there is a better way. The folding tank is carried and our second engine. Becasue the CAFS truck is our first out. It to can dump water and leave, I am hoping with the cafs and the 1500 gallons of water we will not need to set up a dump tank. It was designed more for a pumper, but has a tanker benfit also for mutual aid calls. I love all the replys I have gotten some great Ideal here. Thanks alot.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    The portatank bowing would make a lot more sense, but still should
    not be an issue if you position properly

Leave a comment:

• sdff1520
    replied
    I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking the bowed tank sides are the sides of the portable drop tank, NOT the tank on the truck? My guess is a light weight construction drop tank and the frame bows from the velocity of the water entering the dump tank .... at least I hope thats what is going on here and the concern was using two dump valves there would be that much more velocity hitting the opposite side of the dump tank, hence more bowing of the porta-tank frame???

Rick

Leave a comment:

• 2Chief
    replied
    Not sure what really defines a tanker...but generally I'd like to see a fold-a-tank included somewhere so it can leave its water load on-scene with a pumper.

Additionally...there is no way I'd dedicate a CAFS pumper to perform tanker shuttle duty. It needs to remain on scene at the fire so the CAFS can be utilized...which means it can't be used as a tanker. You might not need a tanker shuttle if you use CAFS from the beginning.

And if I was asking for mutual aid tankers...and a CAFS pumper/tanker showed up...they would be parked in front of the fire building and CAFS lines would be deployed.

Nice truck!!

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Originally posted by Nelson71
    I'm from a rural only department so we shuttle as religion. If you're having bowed tank issues the answer is not to dump more slowly but to let the air in more quickly. In order to get the water out efficiently it .
    Thats what I figured. We have a manhole on the top of our FEPP tanker,
    and we took the lid off so there would never be an issue from not enough
    air.

Works great. Little slop, but not much.

Leave a comment:

• neiowa
    replied
    Originally posted by Nebo424
    Our Department covers about 55 square miles, we have about 40 fire runs a year, and about 85 medical/rescue per year. Cover a population of about 2200 people.

The reason for having two dump valves is to try and lower our ISO rating. The ISO rates on tanker shults are based on a few things which most of the things have a set time on already. Two of the things that don't have a set time on is Fill time, and Dump time. So we feel that if we could decrease our fill times and our dump time we have a good chance in lowering the ISO rating. By putting two dumps it allows us to unload twice as fast. We also increased our fill line so that we can fill faster. Our old tanker only had a 3inch fill this one has a 5" direct tank fill. The two dump valves allow a much quicker dump time. Also by having a back up camra on the truck if a time comes were we have only one person to handle the tanker efforts this is much better. Cause of the camra and the Elect. Dump he/she never has to leave the cab of the truck to unload. All they have to do is back the truck up using the camra to locate the dump tank and once in place reach down and hit a switch to dump the water. This allows a faster dump time when using one person in that he never has to get out of the truck to pull a valve. Also by watching the camra he can tell when the truck is empty and close the dump and off to reload with never getting out to unload the water. So if there are two people around to help with tanker operations one can be at the back of the truck and pull the manual dump and also he can hit a switch at the rear of the truck to open the elect. dump also. which would allow both dumps to be dumping which would allow the truck to be off twice as fast to reload. I hope this is clear, on why we put two dumps on the truck. I would like to hear what others think about the Ideal. Cause I have only seen one other truck that has two dumps.
    Thanks for the info. Interesting idea. I'm hoping we can just get/afford side dumps on the tanker we are now working on (shade tree project using an FEPP chassis). Or perhaps the 90degree chutes.

Leave a comment:

• Nelson71
    replied
    I'm from a rural only department so we shuttle as religion. If you're having bowed tank issues the answer is not to dump more slowly but to let the air in more quickly. In order to get the water out efficiently it has to be replaced by something-air. Many older (and some newer) rigs just didn't place enough emphasis on adaquate venting.
    As an aside, we remounted/refurbed a tanker last year and as part of the upgrade we installed an automatic direct refill valve on the tank rear. I think that it's called a Fireman's Friend but when I Googled it , no results. Sorry about the lack of link.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefDog
    Won't two newtons dumping at once "stress" the opposite side of the tank until you get enough water in it? We have dumped with one 10" and bowed the supports on the other side of the tank by dumping "too fast".

That is scary. Is it due to air pressure? It should not be doing that.

Leave a comment:

• LVFD301
    replied
    Originally posted by Nebo424
    reload. I hope this is clear, on why we put two dumps on the truck. I would like to hear what others think about the Ideal. Cause I have only seen one other truck that has two dumps.

I think you have a good plan. I still would not let anyone get complacent about the camera - if there is a second person available they MUST spot the truck when backing. The Camera should only be a backup.

The ideal tanker shuttle the drives NEVER get out of the driver seat.

If the tank supports bow you have a tank issue, not a dump valve issue. A properly designed tank and dump should NEVER have an issue like that.

Leave a comment:

• Nebo424
    replied
    dump time is about 40 to 45 seconds with both...

Leave a comment:

• ChiefDog
    replied
    Won't two newtons dumping at once "stress" the opposite side of the tank until you get enough water in it? We have dumped with one 10" and bowed the supports on the other side of the tank by dumping "too fast".

Leave a comment:

• ffemtmjb
    replied
    What is your unload time with both dump valves open instead of just one? Just curious.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X