Thanks AFG 2005!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks AFG 2005!!!

This past Friday, the Pattison Area VFD (TX) took delivery of our 3500 gal. tanker funded by the 2005 AFG. I felt like a proud mom when she was backed in for the first time!

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3271132

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3271138

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3271156

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3271147
    Last edited by txfirechick; 08-27-2006, 01:29 PM.

txfirechiick,

Congratulations on the delivery of your new tanker. The pictures show a very sharp looking vehicle. More importantly, it looks like you folks spec'ed out a vehicle that looks efficient and will get the job done. A very well thought out vehicle. Good luck with the vehicle.
    Last edited by onebugle; 08-27-2006, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Congratulations!!! I'm with Onebugle--efficient, built to get the job done. Looks like it has a good center of gravity for a 3,500 gallon tank too. Bet she drives like a dream. Can we ask what it replaces??

earl (hoping to do the same thing with a brush rig SOON!!)

Comment

Greenacres - this tanker replaces the need to mutual-aid a tanker!! We're rural, so only 6 hydrants in 115 sq. miles. Closest mutual-aid tanker is 20 mins away and very unreliable. We are thrilled to have this truck - we finally have a reliable water source!

Thanks for the compliments regarding the specs - we put a lot of thought in to it.

Heather

Comment

Originally posted by txfirechick
          Greenacres - this tanker replaces the need to mutual-aid a tanker!! We're rural, so only 6 hydrants in 115 sq. miles. Closest mutual-aid tanker is 20 mins away and very unreliable. We are thrilled to have this truck - we finally have a reliable water source!

Thanks for the compliments regarding the specs - we put a lot of thought in to it.

Heather

txfirechick--- NICE truck... I've got a grant in for a 3000 gal tanker for the 06 AFG. Same situation as you...Rural, few hydrants, and no tanker. We rely strictly on mutual-aid 15 to 20 min away. Would like to read your narrative and compare to ours. If it is no problem, could you e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank You
          Dwayne

Comment

Heather--who built your truck? Still looks like the weight is set in there real nice.

Dwayne--If you get the narrative, make sure to kind of cross check the computer scoring elements. Plug the call volumes and budgets from the narrative back into the main app. Keep checking!! (by the way--last week's storm missed Hudson Lake, 100 mph winds hit Michigan City & Westville hard though.)

earl

Comment

It is a monster truck, I got to go see her on Saturday. There's more room in those cabs than I expected.

Dwayne, don't lose or gain hope if Heather sends you the narrative, or you read anyone else's for that matter. Previously awarded grant applications mean nothing, especially with trucks. The game has different players every year so just because someone similar to you got awarded/rejected doesn't mean you'll be in the same boat in the next AFG. Around 1800 vehicle applications out of 6600+ got read in 2005, resulting in 905 awards. Those other 900 aren't guaranteed to have been read this year even if they weren't changed because odds are at least 3000 of those vehicle apps for 2006 were new. New competition means new grant program.

That's why reading just awarded applications doesn't give the whole picture, in fact in most cases you get a very skewed view. Every year many well-written and researched grant apps are denied, and some haphazard ones are awarded. Being handed winning narratives has done more harm than good in my experience with people that haven't written a lot, that's why I stopped identifying which narratives were awarded on my web site. It doesn't really matter in the big picture. Proper processes will yield more consistent successful results than any other method.

I'm not saying don't read winning ones, just don't limit yourself to only them.

And keep your fingers crossed for this year, hopefully it dumps on us soon.

- Brian
              Brian P. Vickers
              www.vickersconsultingservices.com
              Emergency Services Consulting
              Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
              Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Originally posted by fireman8611
                txfirechick--- NICE truck... I've got a grant in for a 3000 gal tanker for the 06 AFG. Same situation as you...Rural, few hydrants, and no tanker. We rely strictly on mutual-aid 15 to 20 min away. Would like to read your narrative and compare to ours. If it is no problem, could you e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank You
                Dwayne
                Dwayne oh ye of little faith... patience guy!
                Kurt Bradley
                Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

earl. Brian, Kurt

Thanks guys for trying to keep my head on straight.

earl---talked to my wife's uncle on Hudson Lake. He said they were pretty scared they were going to get hit. Thakfull they didn't.

Comment

Dwayne - check your e-mail . . . but as the wise ones stated above, every situation is different, even when the demographics, etc. are very similar.

Brian - Sorry I wasn't there when you came by to see the tanker, I'm sure Curtis gave you the grand tour!

Earl - the truck was built by US Tanker. Our local rep is a real stand-up guy and really stepped up to the plate for us when one of the other manufacturers we were working with dropped the ball. I agree that they built a solid vehicle. I haven't driven it yet, but all the guys that have say it handles amazingly well for the amount of weight it is carrying.

Heather

Comment

No problem Heather, Carson actually took care of the station tour for us.
                      Brian P. Vickers
                      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
                      Emergency Services Consulting
                      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
                      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse