Funding a boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funding a boat

Our department is currently tryign to find funding to place a fire / rescue boat in service. We have considerable need considering our shorline coverage of one of the dealiest lakes in Texas, however we are hoving difficulty finding Grant programs that can be used for a boat. The AFG can be used but it is considered very low priority. Does any one have any other ideas or possibly some good success stories from a grant program. Thank you for your help.

[email protected]

Contact your state forestry department. We run a 22' Boston Whaler that is actually Forestry owned. Good Luck

www.hickorycreekfire.org

Comment

I hate to sound like an echo; but have you taken your plight to the members of your community?
      What about the local marinas all around the lake; not just in your jurisdiction usually they take boats in on trade and/or if you tell them what you need they too may have a contact.

You have to let people know you have a problem before they can give you help.

Talk with local folks who are in washington, they can make things happen for you if you explain your plight. They also like it when a solution to a problem benefits more than one town/city/area.

I know that serveral of the Personal Watercraft MFG's have programs very similar to the Harley Davidson program; you get use of the product for very low costs if any.

Also the Feds; via the state forestry program; lots to be had if you know howto make it all work.

And when in doubt.... contact Kurt, Brian, or Alana who all know this stuff better than I

Comment

umbro don't foget to check www.govliquidation.com . I see boats in here all the time for less than $2500, complete with engines and trailers. It is like ebay for the government. 17" Boston Whaler Patrol Boat , opening bid $50.00 - http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=942217
        Last edited by ktb9780; 08-02-2006, 10:36 PM.
        Kurt Bradley
        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Some private foundations such as Fireman's Fund don't have restrictions or predetermined priorities like AFG does. Not knocking the AFG priorities, I think they are dead on based on the research done to figure them out.

Anywho, as mentioned already hit up the locals first, it's their butts you are going to save. For something simple to make water rescues in, you're not looking for a brand spanking new Scarab, but you'll definitely need something better than an aluminum rowboat.

Which lake? All are having a pretty bad run of drownings from what I've heard on the news lately.

- Brian
          Brian P. Vickers
          www.vickersconsultingservices.com
          Emergency Services Consulting
          Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
          Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

You might want to watch www.govdeals.com. I've seen some great bargins there.

Comment

The Bear Search and Rescue Foundation
              http://www.bearsearchandrescue.org/

Comment

Your state forester may or may not allow/help you obtain a boat thru FEPP (DOD or GSA surplus). Contact them and make your sales pitch. Iowa forester will not req boats. Not a problem for my FD as Buffalo Creek is only 2' deep and averages 18" deep.

Availability of boats varies from week to week. Right now there seems to be an unusually large # (6-10) of very good/usable boats in the 18-30' range. And most have trailers. Most will be in east or west coast particularily Jacksonville, Fl

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X