Nofa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nofa

I guess the waiting will continue for a while. I just got off the phone with my Congressman's office, and at this point it appears that the NOFA may not be signed until after the August recess! There is some sort of budget isssue that needs to be resolved and they were not able to get it sorted out and signed before the recess. They seemed very dissappointed that the process has not started yet. They were expecting it to be in full swing by now too. I was informed that they now believe that notifications may not start until September sometime. There is a slight chance the NOFA may be signed before the August recess ends but at this point they don't expect it to be.
    sigpic
    "Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Originally posted by jmkfire
    I guess the waiting will continue for a while. I just got off the phone with my Congressman's office, and at this point it appears that the NOFA may not be signed until after the August recess! There is some sort of budget isssue that needs to be resolved and they were not able to get it sorted out and signed before the recess. They seemed very dissappointed that the process has not started yet. They were expecting it to be in full swing by now too. I was informed that they now believe that notifications may not start until September sometime. There is a slight chance the NOFA may be signed before the August recess ends but at this point they don't expect it to be.
    jmkfire it appears what you have been told is partially true. Although I have word from my sources that yet another delay is occurring, it is not an issue of the "budget" per se but, more an issue with administrative and legislative issues. Just to be clear with everyone here and not start a panic, the money for AFG is there, they just still cannot release it for some reason which they will not exactly clarify at this point.

I can certainly understand everyone's frustration level at this point but, we have seen this before and no doubt we will see it again. I really wish they would get on with it also but, this is the Feds and the governement is not a PT boat that turns or stops on a dime; it is an Aircarft Carrier that takes 10 miles to stop or turn to port. So we will simply have to wait them out.

I wish the Feds would treat us more like adults, than children, and understand that this process would cause them far less problems if they would just simply communicate clearly with us, instead of keeping this information like it is a "Top Secret".I mean by their own statements they would like to "increase interoperable communications". Well, that should start at the top and communictaing with everyone that has a need to know, would seem appropriate.

Funny how when I was in the military they always taught us to "dispel rumors by going straight to the source and quashing misinformation". It sure would help me and themselves if they would simply follow their own advice.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 08-01-2006, 12:53 PM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

I guess budget was the wrong word I was looking for. You are correct with the legislative issue. I just couldn't find the right word. The funds are there but there is something that needs to be done before NOFA. The congressman's office also said that there is some issues (In their office anyway) with DHS's handling of AFG this year (and last) and there "maybe" some steamlining of how it is handled for next year. But he stressed Maybe! And his office does not like the "Top Secret" way it is being handled. They are even having difficulties finding anything out about the process and where it is now. He gave me all the info he had and said he wished he even knew more but they can't find anything else out right now, but are working on it.
      Good luck to all!
      Last edited by jmkfire; 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

What frustrates me in this whole process is the fact that the longer the delay the more it will cost our department in the long run.

I'm going to be overly optomistic that we will be one of the chosen few to recieve funding for a new pumper this year, however even at this point our bid is now over 4 months old. If any of you have done some window shopping you realize what the cost of trucks has done over this summer. And now we might be waiting another month or even two?

I'm fearful that I'll have to have the "what if we can't afford it" talk with the Chief soon as we didn't leave much wiggle room in our request or in the specs of the truck in order to make it more competitive.

I know folks, I'm harping to the chior here, but there needs to be some very serious effort to get all the ducks lined up before a bunch of us go off the deep end.

Comment

I hear ya! Same boat here. The cost of our apparatus application has gone up a minimum of $17K since 4 months ago already and they haven't even started the process. You're suppose to complete the scope of the project but we may not be able to. The Congressman's office has had many concerns expressed to them already about this same issue, but unfortunately nothing can be done for this year. They suggested that if we run into that problem to not strip the truck but complete the project and go to USDA rural development for the rest of the funds and that his office would assist with that process. They believe that they may need to do that with some departments this year if they get a grant for a new truck.
          Last edited by jmkfire; 08-01-2006, 04:32 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

[/QUOTE] originally posted by: ktb9780

I wish the Feds would treat us more like adults, than children, and understand that this process would cause them far less problems if they would just simply communicate clearly with us, instead of keeping this information like it is a "Top Secret".I mean by their own statements they would like to "increase interoperable communications". Well, that should start at the top and communictaing with everyone that has a need to know, would seem appropriate.

Funny how when I was in the military they always taught us to "dispel rumors by going straight to the source and quashing misinformation". It sure would help me and themselves if they would simply follow their own advice. [/QUOTE]

Kurt,

You said it all right there! All it would take is some communication. Some advance preparation wouldn't hurt either!! The DHS and FEMA seem to be in turmoil right now due to the change in leadership and last years' debacles.

I have a friend that applied for a job with FEMA back in March. There has not been any communication about where the application process is at nor can a person that is even responsible for filling that position be located or identified!!
            Last edited by scottm207; 08-01-2006, 04:47 PM.
            Stay Safe!

Scott
            Bellona Vol. Fire Co.

"There are three kinds of people, those that learn by reading; the few that learn by observation and the ones that have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - anon.

Comment

Pricing changes are the reason we all say to add 3% to any bids received for the application pricing. It's not enough to knock anyone out of contention, and if you have an excellent case then even if Peer Review doesn't like the price they can recommend reduced funding.

And don't forget, after the award you are cash customers. Take advantage of that power. You can receive discounts for prepayment, especially on apparatus, you just have to declare them and ensure that when it is all paid for you put in at least your matching. If you pay 6% and were supposed to match 5%, you're fine. Discounts count as Federal Funds, not local.

You can also finance your matching funds it doesn't have to be cash in hand, so hit the local banks, start up a media blitz to ask for donations from the public and businesses. Apparatus can lower ISO ratings so you won't be lying by mentioning that having the truck will eventually lower insurance rates for the citizens you serve. The only thing you can't use for matching is other federal funds from other assistance programs, meaning HUD, SHSGP, etc, etc.

Don't ever toss away an award because you think you'll be a little short. You don't have to have your matching until the final payment, so you can use your build time to work those phones and fundraisers to get the rest if you can't finance it. Where there is a will, there is a way, especially when the trophy is 95% paid for by the feds.

- Brian
              Brian P. Vickers
              www.vickersconsultingservices.com
              Emergency Services Consulting
              Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
              Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Brian don't forget that CDBG funding CAN be used as matching dollars. It is the only one I am aware of that will in fact allow that. Ihad toi eat my words last year over that one with a department that I thought for sure wa fixing to go to the big house if they did it and FP director (TH) corrected me on it after research.
                Kurt Bradley

Comment

Nofa?????????????

Comment

NOFA = No Other Funds Available

Comment

k3, too funny but, lets make sure we give him the real meaning too,

NOFA stands for = Notice Of Funding Availability
                      Kurt Bradley

Comment

What NOFA means to me...

Nothing
                        Official
                        For
                        Awhile

earl

Comment