GRANTS? help me get started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRANTS? help me get started?

I need assistance in obtaining grants for my local vol. FD, they are as broke as it gets, and need a lot of assistance. Where do I start?

Thanks Shawn

The best grant opportunity for the fire service is the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (AFG). The AFG can be found at www.firegrantsupport.com

Start reading the 2006 Program Guidance to famialarize yourself with the process and eligible projects. The next opportunity to apply for the AFG is March 2007.

You will have to conduct a needs assessment to determine your priorities such as turnout gear, SCBA, apparatus etc.

If you are looking for people to help you with writing grants Brian, Kurt and Alana will be great resources. Their websites are:

Brian: www.firegraphics.org
    Kurt: www.chiefgrants.com
    Alana: http://yourgrantwriter.com/
    Last edited by onebugle; 07-23-2006, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by onebugle
      The best grant opportunity for the fire service is the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (AFG). The AFG can be found at www.firegrantsupport.com

Start reading the 2006 Program Guidance to famialarize yourself with the process and eligible projects. The next opportunity to apply for the AFG is March 2007.

You will have to conduct a needs assessment to determine your priorities such as turnout gear, SCBA, apparatus etc.

If you are looking for people to help you with writing grants Brian, Kurt and Alana will be great resources. Their websites are:

Thanks for the vote of confidence onebugle. Buddy you can reach me at 800-992-0272 if you need to discuss the grants ballgame. Glad to help you out.
      Kurt Bradley
      Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
      " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

There is more than just the AFG funding out there. The AFG is by far the most popular and heaviest funded however, local grants are available also. My department has received in the past 8 years over 300,000 from local sources such as the State Fire Marshal's Office, county commissioners office, and other state and local funding...drop me an email and I can let you in on who to talk with. email [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by onebugle

Thanks, bugle, I have been in Baltimore the better part of the last week, not much time for checking things online, so I appreciate the show of support. I too will say that while AFG is the most popular, it is a Spring application (for equipment). There are however several others coming up that shouldn't be over-looked. And while my website remains as over-looked as my inbox from time to time, here are a few coming up in the next few weeks and months:

CEDAP - for a single piece of equipment or package (depending on the list) - http://www.rkb.mipt.org/
          and to see what others obtained last cycle, do a search here in the forums of CEDAP.

Fire Prevention & Safety - a branch of the AFG, administrated by DHS, originally one big grant, typically has somewhere in the neighborhood of $25-$30 Million in funding for Fire Prevention. One of the most under-utilized grants by fire departments in my professional opinion. Go to www.firegrantsupport.com for more info, Program Guidelines, previous winners, etc. Usually a Sept/early Oct. application. This will allow your department to pursue a fire prevention program, expand on one you already have, obtain fire prevention materials (handouts, coloring books, videos, etc). Did I mention this is one not too many departments get behind and spend the necessary time and energy to apply (correctly)?

These are the next two big ones...so, you have some place to start. And it really isn't too early to think (project and data-wise) for the Spring AFG or summer SAFER (Staffing of firefighters (career/combo departments) and/or Recruit/Retention of volunteers - for combo & volly departments)...

There are also probably several local foundations and maybe a state level grant or two in your neck of the woods. Start talking to other departments at your conventions or call your state office and start asking those good folks. Here in NC we do have quite a bit of local support and grants available through our SFMO for various programs.

Hope this helps!
          Alana Tomlin Denton
          Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse