Apparatus Grants for Pumpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparatus Grants for Pumpers

My department is looking to replace a 19 year old pumper and wondering what kind of grants are out there.

The largest grant opportunity for apparatus replacement is the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (AFG). This is a competive grant program. The next opportunity to apply will be in March 2007.

You should familiarize yourself with this program before applying. Start reading the 2006 Program Guidance to understand the process. This will provide you with a good start. Typically, there are very few changes to the document year to year.

The website is www.firegrantsupport.com

Additional grant opportunities can be found at these 2 websites:

www.firegraphics.org

www.chiefgrants.com

If you need any help. just post a question and someone will supply you an answer or point you in the right direction.

Comment

Depending on where you are, how many people you protect, and how much you need to replace the truck there are other programs out there that will fund varying amounts. AFG is the largest single program out there, and it is a 1 in 100 shot to get a vehicle award, dropping to 1 in 100 when the price of the truck breaks $300K.

Drop a line if you need any other info.

- Brian
      Brian P. Vickers
      www.vickersconsultingservices.com
      Emergency Services Consulting
      Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
      Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Comment

Another option

Check out the gov surplus sites.. not a grant but much to be had if you know how to find it.

As for vehicle grant, depending on size of your area / economic make up USDA has program and Rural Fire Asst. also an option.

Brian....is it 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 when over 300K...inquiring minds want to know

Comment

Originally posted by AFD2181
          Check out the gov surplus sites.. not a grant but much to be had if you know how to find it.

As for vehicle grant, depending on size of your area / economic make up USDA has program and Rural Fire Asst. also an option.

Brian....is it 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 when over 300K...inquiring minds want to know
          Yeah I think he left off a "zero" too. It shoud be 1 in 1000 for those over $300K
          Kurt Bradley
          Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
          " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Overall 1 in 10 vehicle apps (all amounts) are awarded versus 1 in 3 for equipment.

To be entirely accurate for all 5 years, 1 in 92 vehicle apps submitted are awarded for over $300K, 1 in 987 submitted are awarded for over $700K. I amused myself with running metrics one day at the office. (Nerd) Same day I ran the state by state comparisons over all 5 years of AFG, found the number of different departments that have been awarded, and other such relevant statistical information. Just like weather and archeology, to understand the future of grants one has to understand the past; where they came from, what they have done so far, etc, etc. Which is why success stories are so important. I've had stuff in the works to get more out there since that 3rd PodCast in March, but we pushed them off so Dr Carter's Road Trip could be properly paid attention to. He and I agreed that we all need to tell them as often as possible, but I think his format is so great and effective it needs to be the lone storyteller right now. So people don't do something stupid like read or listen to my drivel instead of his.
            Brian P. Vickers

Comment

In 2005 it was 1 in 262 vehicle apps was awarded over $300K. There were a lot more in 2003 and 2004 but I don't have all of my info with me, left most of it at home. Traveling for an 8 day vacation with a 6 month old daughter and I'm feeling lucky to have any changes of clothes at all let alone having the laptop with me.
              Brian P. Vickers

Comment

Dr Carters Visit

Our Department was lucky enough to get on the road trip tour... I have to say Dr. Carter and Jack are two of the biggest supporters of the Fire Service and the Road trip is an awsome idea.

I have said it before; we(the grant folks & fire guys) must have our voices heard so this program gets funded at the full 1 Billions Dollars...yes insert the Dr. Evil pose here if you must.

Get on the phone with your Reps and Senators....become best friends with the grants person in their office and if need be; become the squeaky wheel lookin for oil

Comment

I totally agree sharing your success stories with everyone especially your political leaders at every level is a must!! I just received our Engine from the 2005 AFG grant we were very lucky and got awarded in the first round at $238,000. I have invited everyone and I mean everyone to the dedication and in service placement ceremony and every news media outlet that would cover it has done so. I emphasized how important this grant was to our nations fire service as my dept. would've never been able to purchase anything even close to a modern fire engine (we're replacing a 73' Mack CF600 that is in such bad shape I had to take it totally out of service 3 weeks ago and borrow an Engine from a neighboring dept.) I made this clear and I hope and pray it will help to the continuation of this grant so other dept.'s can reap the benefits of it. Just so everyone knows we were able to purchase a KME Commercial International 4400 Series, 4 Door Cab, Top Mount 1250 GPM pump, 1000 gal tank, roll up doors, with a full complement of Power Hawk extrication equipment and all new NFPA 1901 equipment. Some of you are probably saying well thats nothing special we have 3 of those or well I would've gotten this instead of that but those of you who know how far you can go with that kind of money and what its like to go from nothing to something make it needless to say that I along with my entire department are very proud to own such a fine piece of equipment as I can remember just a six years ago when I was appointed Asst. Chief that when we would get a call we left jumper cables on the front bumper of the truck a 1968 Chevrolet front mount pump LOL and you pulled up to that bay opened the door hooked them up to your vehicle and while it was charging the battery you would pour gas into the carbureutor from a Dr. Pepper bottle that we kept under the hood with gas in it to prime the carb, yes it was pathetic and a poor excuse for a fire dept. we were doing all that we could do though with no tax base and very little other funding we couldn't buy newer or even repair the old equipment but with a lot of work and not to mention 6 of us signing our lives away on a note that we personally took out to buy the 73' Mack which was huge improvement things slowly changed but the 73' could only hold out for so long as the sole pumper running 200+ calls a year its in need of repair and rest as a second out this could've never been achieved by our agency without the AFG and since receiving the grant I have had five new firefighters join and complete FF-I & II, 2 just finished Instructor I, as well as another completing her EMT-B everyone of them said that they wanted to join before but did not feel they would be very safe??? with the old junk we were using and when they found out we had better and were about to get brand new they were willing to give it a try and of course I guess the families of these individuals are more willing to accept their choice knowing they are better protected. I believe this is just the beginning though I expect to have more people applying as I have had more people who were not involved with the department walk in my station since Tuesday when the truck arrived than in the last 3 years probably.
                  BOTTOM LINE the FIRE ACT GRANT WORKS IN MANY, MANY WAYS ALL OF WHICH BENEFIT THE Fire Service and the Communities that they Serve. I hope that this can serve as a success story if needed as anyone is more than welcome to use it as such and if needed I will provide additional info. i.e. pictures more detailed descriptions of how the grants have helped not only my department but everyone of my neighboring agencies as well.
                  Brothers I know some of you are still working with unsafe sub-standard equipment just do the best you can and the Lord willing it will get better all the same stay safe wheter your using a ladder and a bucket or a brand new quint its a dangerous day today watch your back and stay low.
                  Last edited by Chief2100; 07-28-2006, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2100
                    I totally agree sharing your success stories with everyone especially your political leaders at every level is a must!! I just received our Engine from the 2005 AFG grant we were very lucky and got awarded in the first round at $238,000. I have invited everyone and I mean everyone to the dedication and in service placement ceremony and every news media outlet that would cover it has done so. I emphasized how important this grant was to our nations fire service as my dept. would've never been able to purchase anything even close to a modern fire engine (we're replacing a 73' Mack CF600 that is in such bad shape I had to take it totally out of service 3 weeks ago and borrow an Engine from a neighboring dept.) I made this clear and I hope and pray it will help to the continuation of this grant so other dept.'s can reap the benefits of it. Just so everyone knows we were able to purchase a KME Commercial International 4400 Series, 4 Door Cab, Top Mount 1250 GPM pump, 1000 gal tank, roll up doors, with a full complement of Power Hawk extrication equipment and all new NFPA 1901 equipment. ...:
                    Well where's the photos???? You gotta provide photos.

Comment

give me a couple of days I'm in North Carolina right now as soon as get back I'll put some up Take Care Guys.

Comment

Inside joke between me an 2100

Chief2100, that sounds like one fine truck. I think you should drive it to work every day. In fact, I will even give you an enclosed place to park it!

Comment

Re: Inside Joke between me and EFD840

"Chief2100, that sounds like one fine truck. I think you should drive it to work every day. In fact, I will even give you an enclosed place to park it!"
                          Boss I think we could arrange it but there best be one heckuva a raise on my next paycheck like about $240,000.00 or so but I would be willing to let you ride in the front seat for $5.00 and blow the air horn for another $2.00 LOL On a serious note I do hope and pray that the powers to be will come through for us in my adopted Town and we willl get to see EFD with a new vehicle just as fine or finer this time next year.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X