Donate what you replace!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shawnvfd View Post
    end of 2009 we have a population of 1007 calls 56 (fire 63% / ems 37%)
    so far this year we have had 43 calls already its at 61/39

in 2005 we had

Population: 885 calls 28 ( fire 48% / ems 52%)
    Your first grant writing priority should be to outfit all members with structural turn out gear head to toe. Can be done for under 30k. Decent cost benefit with great rewards towards protecting your firefighters. Each year plan a small complete package to ask for. Don't go with the shopping cart approach to getting funded.
    With your call numbers and demographics you can be funded if you choose carefully which projects you ask for.

Comment

[QUOTE=shawnvfd;1221980]
      Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
      ShawnVFD - tell us a bit more about your department, location etc. Many of us can help. Saying you need everything is a bit much though, as surely you have SOMETHING. Be specific.

to start ..
      there is 15 members
      we are located in trade,tn
      Station location

all coutry roads
      funding is very limited due to the area. we are currently making a website with a donation/store page to see if this would help with funds-website is done for free
      the trucks run and are ok but have problems with them
      engine is fine (radiator is leaking , were going to try and fix that)
      tanker truck.. Pump seems to be going out (were working on that - just fixed the brakes last month @1200.00 now this)
      our turnout gear most have holes in them. all are over 10 years old except for 2 of them
      we have 4 scba's (we need to get more tho)
      radios/pagers are good
      the main thing we really need is brush gear/turnout gear

on a positive note. We do have a new person that joined and can help with grant writing and we can try for some grants this coming year.

and to us turnout gear/brush gear is everything to us.
      Trade is almost one of those places that it depends on which side of the Moutain your on as to what state you are in .

Comment

true 5 minutes and your in another state

Comment

donations

I don't disagree with donating your old stuff, but in the apparatus portion of the grant don't you need to agree to take old apparatus out of service? Donating it to another department would seem in violation of the program guidance. Second, could this lead to what is perceived as abuse of the grant system. I have an old SCBA that get replace by AFG, then I give that SCBA to another department who then applies for a grant and replaces the SCBA. AFG could end up replacing the same SCBA numerous times? Just something to consider.
          Mark

Comment

[QUOTE=shawnvfd;1221980]
            ShawnVFD - tell us a bit more about your department, location etc. Many of us can help. Saying you need everything is a bit much though, as surely you have SOMETHING. Be specific.

to start ..
            there is 15 members
            Station location

all coutry roads
            funding is very limited due to the area. we are currently making a website with a donation/store page to see if this would help with funds-website is done for free
            tanker truck.. Pump seems to be going out (were working on that - just fixed the brakes last month @1200.00 now this)
            our turnout gear most have holes in them. all are over 10 years old except for 2 of them
            radios/pagers are good

on a positive note. We do have a new person that joined and can help with grant writing and we can try for some grants this coming year.

Check with your state Forestry for Brush gear. They have several Fed grants and while not free the worst case scenario is a 50/50 match

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
              If you get something thru a grant and you are replacing equipment of any kind, share the wealth. Donate what you don't need anymore. Even if you got something different and it freed up money to replace something else, donate it too.

If you need something, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of emails on this one, email me you need, how many of them, and your contact info. I'll post it on a page that I haven't designed yet, for those that want to donate to look through. I will have nothing to do with deciding who gets what donated. I'm just going to be a source of information. Call me Switzerland.

I'll post the URL when I create it.

And for the record, since getting the Rescue Truck grant last year I've convinced our Chief to donate an old ambulance, a brush truck, and some other equipment he doesn't know about yet that I'm going to work on him about donating.

Stay safe.

Brian
              Good Day,
              I’m Stephen Eric P. Chua from the Philippines, me and my group ( 20 persons ). from all walks of life are all volunteer members of our peace & order council in our local community involve in various activities such as, peace keeping, emergency response team ( medical or calamity), and other volunteer works including fire fighting in our local community. We serve as an auxiliary group when needed by our Barangay (Local Community) Captain or Chairman.
              As part of it all, we sometimes responded to fire calls without proper gears, such as turnout gears, helmets, hoods, gloves, and fire boots. Our Barangay only had 5 sets of fire fighting gears for their regular members; we sometimes borrow from them in case the need arises. We love and dedicate our free time in volunteer work and serve our fellowmen for free. But the lack of proper fire gears & equipments are sometimes a hindrance to our group in responding to fire & other emergency calls, it’s because the price of such gears & equipments here in the Philippines are too expensive and much high value for the good branded ones, and we ourselves could not afford to purchase it. And being a volunteer here, one should gear himself with the needed gears & equipments individually.
              A former classmate of mine from the old high school days, a regular volunteer from the Filipino-Chinese Fire Volunteer Brigade once told me to try and ask for help from like you guys in the US. So here I am hoping that some kind hearted ones could render us help in anyway they could, but not financially as we speak but thru donations of used, 2nd hand/ surplus fire & rescue gears and equipments. It would be a great help to us from you guys out there.
              In regarding this matter and in behalf of my group may I respectfully request for your donation or support from your kind hearted ones, used ,2nd hand, or surplus turnout gears, fire helmets, hoods, gloves, fire boots, fire & rescue gears and equipments that are already not in use by your brigades. It would be a great help to us.
              I’m hoping for your kind hearted consideration in regarding this matter. Thank you and keep safe. God Bless you all.
              Best regards;
              Mr. Stephen Eric P. Chua
              c/o Mr. Larry Querubin
              #177 Blas Roque Compound, Brgy. Bagbag,
              Novaliches 1116, Quezon City, Philippines Email Address: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
                As a past resident of fthe Phllipines during my younger days ( Clark AFB) I certianly can relate to the "need". I traveled through the islands and stayed in may Nipa huts in local villages during my time there and witnessed first hand the problems you all face daily. I am sure there are people here, knowing the charitible nature of many of them through past years, that would be willing to help however; there is one problem that I think if you could address it, would assist us in trying to help you. Can you guys cover the shipping costs out to the Islands or arrange for that not to encumber a department which might wish to donate?
                Thank you for your immediate response, may I ask if how much do it cost for shipping? I would discuss it with my group, thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang70501 View Post
                  Good Day,
                  I’m Stephen Eric P. Chua from the Philippines, me and my group ( 20 persons ). from all walks of life are all volunteer members of our peace & order council in our local community involve in various activities such as, peace keeping, emergency response team ( medical or calamity), and other volunteer works including fire fighting in our local community. We serve as an auxiliary group when needed by our Barangay (Local Community) Captain or Chairman.
                  As part of it all, we sometimes responded to fire calls without proper gears, such as turnout gears, helmets, hoods, gloves, and fire boots. Our Barangay only had 5 sets of fire fighting gears for their regular members; we sometimes borrow from them in case the need arises. We love and dedicate our free time in volunteer work and serve our fellowmen for free. But the lack of proper fire gears & equipments are sometimes a hindrance to our group in responding to fire & other emergency calls, it’s because the price of such gears & equipments here in the Philippines are too expensive and much high value for the good branded ones, and we ourselves could not afford to purchase it. And being a volunteer here, one should gear himself with the needed gears & equipments individually.
                  A former classmate of mine from the old high school days, a regular volunteer from the Filipino-Chinese Fire Volunteer Brigade once told me to try and ask for help from like you guys in the US. So here I am hoping that some kind hearted ones could render us help in anyway they could, but not financially as we speak but thru donations of used, 2nd hand/ surplus fire & rescue gears and equipments. It would be a great help to us from you guys out there.
                  In regarding this matter and in behalf of my group may I respectfully request for your donation or support from your kind hearted ones, used ,2nd hand, or surplus turnout gears, fire helmets, hoods, gloves, fire boots, fire & rescue gears and equipments that are already not in use by your brigades. It would be a great help to us.
                  I’m hoping for your kind hearted consideration in regarding this matter. Thank you and keep safe. God Bless you all.
                  Best regards;
                  Mr. Stephen Eric P. Chua
                  c/o Mr. Larry Querubin
                  #177 Blas Roque Compound, Brgy. Bagbag,
                  Novaliches 1116, Quezon City, Philippines Email Address: [email protected]
                  Thank you Brian for whatever support you would extend to us, we gratefully thank you.
                  Keep Safe & God Bless you all.

Comment

Inquiry on Shipping Cost, By Sea or Air?

Thank you for your immediate response, may I ask if how much do it cost for shipping? I would discuss it with my group, thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang70501 View Post
                      Too many variables for me to say other than to mention that fire equipment is heavy, bulky and will present shipping challenges. It would need to be determined on a case by case basis which is why I asked you to find out about shipping costs from your end. I am quite sure that the shipping costs would be too expensive for a department here to absorb that cost.
                      Kurt Bradley
                      Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                      " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

[QUOTE=shawnvfd;1221980]

to start ..
                        there is 15 members
                        Station location

all coutry roads
                        radios/pagers are good

Drop me an email. [email protected] Got some stuff for you.

Comment

Shipping

For shipping out of the country check with the National Guard. They helped us a few years ago ship a bunch of stuff to El Salvador. It may sit for a while until they have a scheduled flight but they may ship it for free.
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mwtetreault View Post
                            I don't disagree with donating your old stuff, but in the apparatus portion of the grant don't you need to agree to take old apparatus out of service? Donating it to another department would seem in violation of the program guidance. Second, could this lead to what is perceived as abuse of the grant system. I have an old SCBA that get replace by AFG, then I give that SCBA to another department who then applies for a grant and replaces the SCBA. AFG could end up replacing the same SCBA numerous times? Just something to consider.
                            Mark
                            Yep, in apparatus you have to get rid of it outside of the fire service.

Equipment however has not been banned from donating, in fact many at the project office suggest or at least condone it.

I just hope people keep the stuff in the US, too many departments still in need.

Comment

We have donated several pieces of our equipment to our mutual aid neighbors. We are currently in need of just a few boots for some of our junior FF. All of our old boots that we replaced are too small. We need some size 11 and 12. If anyone has some that they would be willing to donate to hep support our juniors program the kids would appreciate it. You can email me a [email protected] Thanks

Comment

Not free, but we have a 1977 Ford/E-One pumper that is surplus. Diesel, auto, 1000 pump that passed test this month, 500 tank. The cab has some rust but the fire body is aluminum and in good shape. It runs like a scalded cat.

It could sure use a good home, and it could find its way to one real, real cheap. We are storing it in borrowed space with a very short time frame to vacate.

PM me!
                                “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                                ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X