Vehicle Rescue and Extrication Tools Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Rescue and Extrication Tools Questions

I value the knowledge of the people of these forums so much, and I've learned so much over the years from you all about grants. I've been successful a few times for our department for scba's, hoses and appliances, PPE, etc but I haven't had any luck the last few years on the extrication tools project I'm working on now. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

We are a busy all volunteer department, just outside a major city in our area. We run 4 stations, 5 engines, 2 rescues, a command suv and other specialty vehicles. We cover a large portion of an Interstate Highway, some heavily traveled state highways, and tons of county roadways. The last 3 years 10-15% of our total yearly call volume are motor vehicle crashes with injuries, and 10-12% of our MVC's require extrication. We run a full set of extrication equipment of both of our rescue trucks, but the newest set of equipment we have is circa 1993, with the other set older than it. It has been repaired to the point our maintenance provider stated the last time he worked on our tools, there was nothing more he could do to them. We've had a couple of instances where they have failed us on scenes, and luckily it was minor rescues where we worked around it and used other tools to make it work. I have attempted several times through AFG and also through Firehouse Subs to get a grant for new extrication equipment, but so far have been unsuccessful. We are in dire need of these tools. So I'm not sure what I'm wording wrong, etc, but any help or insight anyone here could give would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to pm me or answer here, or if you'd rather I can email you or call. Just desperate at this point, as no way we can purchase this equipment on our own with the budget we get. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter! Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Last edited by TrainingChief26; 11-24-2021, 04:42 PM.

I understand your frustration with not being awarded a grant. I looked at FireHouse Subs application and found that they required an extensive amount of information and research for a small amount of return. AFG is very competitive. I hope that you have been able to determine if your application got past the computer review. If it passed the computer, then you have to closely look at your narratives. The best advice I have for AFG is to download all the pertinent "Get Ready" guides and follow them to the letter. In addition, read the NOFO each and every year.

For my department we were able to receive a grant for battery powered extrication equipment and related struts, etc. The request was for equipment to equip a Rescue/Pumper that was also 50% funded from an entirely different state grant. The equipment grant was from the state department of public health as an EMS grant. It only provided 50% of the cost of the equipment, but had a high probability of success as the ratio of grant request money to the actual amount of money was very favorable. In some cases (vehicles), only about 1 in 20 AFG grant applications were successful. Compare this to the state grant application where approximately 65 - 75 % of the applications were successful.

Don't give up. In some cases it has taken 3-5 attempts at an AFG award before we were successful (one Wildland Urban Interface Engine, two brush trucks and a tanker/tender). This in comparison to four state EMS grants, all of which were successful on the first try.

Just remember, "you don't get what you don't ask for"; thus try, try again.

Comment

Trainingchief26, I tried pm you but it says you are not accepting pm’s.
      what is your email address?
      If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X