Organizational Set-up - 501c3 maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organizational Set-up - 501c3 maybe

Looking to create a non-profit to help our local region out in getting needed funding that they cannot apply for due to not having the correct status. Anyone ever do something like this? I would like to visit here or offline to learn some of the growing pains and things to just look out for. Maybe even some examples of by-laws. Not against paying an attorney to create but want to have a baseline to start with. Any info would be appreciated as I just want to help our region here in the Midwest.

1st advice

Contact a few other 501’s in your area

They should show you their write up

And ask then the steps for your area

Maybe even attorney referral

Before you even contact an attorney

Save you billable hours
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

I actually set up the department I retired from with 501-c status. My advice, find a good accountant to set this up, they know the in’s and out’s of the process
      If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

Thanks - Appreciate the info. I'll visit with some of the accountants as I just don't know too many other 501's in the area. They don't hit our line of work too much if there are any here as we just don't hear or see too much out of them. Always accountants and attorneys though...no matter where you go. Thanks again!!!

Comment

Does not have to be a FD, to get info on setting one up...

Look into other organizations
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

If your organization is not a 501C3, you're missing out on a whole bunch on grant/funding opportunities. A Whole Bunch.

We got our 501C3 status almost 10 years ago. A local lawyer filed for us Pro Bono...we asked if they could donate their time and that we were in no hurry.

Definitely worth your time and effort to get 501C3 status.

Comment

Thanks all. Wanting to help out more than just my department as there are more needs out there and figure it would definitely help many of our
              agencies.

Comment

MidwestChief, you won't regret it. It was seriously a game changer for our department with respect to fund raising. And when you do get funding because of your 501c3, it helps out your local taxpayers PLUS it's great to be able to let your AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) know you're looking for funding to supplement your usual budget.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X