Budget Summary Not Jiving with Excel Calculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Summary Not Jiving with Excel Calculations

Looks like FEMA Go is calculating my district's contribution at less than 5%, and the federal contribution as over 95%, which I've never seen. Breaks down like this:

Total Direct Charges = $118,689

My Excel spreadie calculates 5% of that = $5934, and the Fed's 95% share = $112,755.

However in the Total Federal and Non-federal resources box, the application is automatically calculating the FEMA share at 95.24%, or $113,047, and our share at 4.76%, or $5651.86.

When I enter my 5% calculation number I get an error message that the total federal and non-federal resources don't add up to $118,689, because it automatically enters the application's calculation of the fed share. I have to change our applicant share number in the non-federal resources box for it to add up.

Any ideas why the application would be calculating the shares at anything other than 5% and 95%?

Thanks all.

The calculation is based on the Federal share of the cost. 95% is correct at $5,651.86.

Comment

Rather than taking your % of the total cost, you have to calculate the federal share first. If you are a 95/5 split, take the total cost and divide it by 1.05 to get the federal share. Then substract the federal share from the total to get your local share. I've always hated that FEMA calculates it this way, but it results in a slighter lesser local share than the other method so it's hard to complain!

Comment

Thanks Grits and Sly. Grits your calculation method nails it. I was simply taking the total cost and multiplying it by .95 (95%). I still can't figure out why that's not correct, but clearly it's not! thanks folks

Last edited by nicoyaspa; 02-09-2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X