Excess Funds for Regional Grant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excess Funds for Regional Grant

I have a couple of questions about excess funds, I received a regional award for mobile and portable radios for six departments. I based the cost on contract pricing +/- accessories per radio and I received that amount, which was a decent discount from the MSRP. After the application was submitted I was made aware that the county that these departments serve received funding of their own to offset costs and will offer for purchase a set amount of radios to each department in the county at a very steep reduction in price. Now given this turn of events I’m sure each department will take advantage of this deal, and after the remaining radios are purchased at the requested amount received to cover the needs of each department, I will have a massive amount of excess funds, over $200k to be exact.

My first question, if the departments do purchase the equipment at the reduced price FEMA will be aware of this drastic change, and when so will I be required to do an amendment and have my federal share reduced? Next question is when I have to do an amendment will I need one for each agency or can I do a blanket one to cover all equipment purchased? Also is there anything I can’t purchase with these funds should I be allowed to keep the remainder?

One other question, is this something that FEMA should have caught and modified seeing that requests made for this type of award are verified through several channels at multiple levels(both state and federal) before it is awarded or rejected? The departments are not under obligation to purchase any equipment being offered by the county and the amount of radios being offered for purchase through the county will not cover all of their needs.

First of all I think that you should be acknowledged and thanked for the many hours that you must have put in to apply for the grant that was awarded.

I find it hard to believe that no one from the various departments involved wasn't aware of the parallel effort to fund the radios, and neglected to inform you of that effort. If I understand your explanation of the situation, the various departments might still use the AFG award to purchase radios even if they make purchases under the County purchasing agreement, although in fewer numbers. Purchases under the County purchasing agreement obviously would change the information and data that you used in your application budget and associated narratives.

I don't have answers to your questions. But I might suggest that you gain a clear understanding of the number of radios that are expected to be purchased under the County purchasing agreement by each department in your regional award. And the number of radios that each department might then purchase under the AFG regional award. With this information, I would then arrange a meeting (ZOOM if necessary) with your FEMA Regional Manager and ask guidance as to how to proceed.

After putting forth the effort in the original application, it is unfortunate that you are put in this situation which is not of your doing.

Comment

Originally posted by AsstChief132 View Post
      First of all I think that you should be acknowledged and thanked for the many hours that you must have put in to apply for the grant that was awarded.

I find it hard to believe that no one from the various departments involved wasn't aware of the parallel effort to fund the radios, and neglected to inform you of that effort. If I understand your explanation of the situation, the various departments might still use the AFG award to purchase radios even if they make purchases under the County purchasing agreement, although in fewer numbers. Purchases under the County purchasing agreement obviously would change the information and data that you used in your application budget and associated narratives.

I don't have answers to your questions. But I might suggest that you gain a clear understanding of the number of radios that are expected to be purchased under the County purchasing agreement by each department in your regional award. And the number of radios that each department might then purchase under the AFG regional award. With this information, I would then arrange a meeting (ZOOM if necessary) with your FEMA Regional Manager and ask guidance as to how to proceed.

After putting forth the effort in the original application, it is unfortunate that you are put in this situation which is not of your doing.
      Luckily the number is limited, it’s a set amount and only certain apparatus will qualify under the reduced price point, still a lot of units to purchase at the higher cost. TheThere was talk that it may be completed but wasn’t confirmed at the the time of submission. I’m hoping that’s enough to justify being able to keep all of the funds. I don’t blame anyone for it it was just dumb luck

Comment

After the application was submitted I was made aware that the county that these departments serve received funding of their own to offset costs and will offer for purchase a set amount of radios to each department in the county at a very steep reduction in price.
        Just to clarify, this "funding" is also from AFG award? i.e., a separate AFG application submitted by the county? But for a much lesser quantity of radios than the regional application you submitted?

Comment

Originally posted by mooseman1325 View Post

Just to clarify, this "funding" is also from AFG award? i.e., a separate AFG application submitted by the county? But for a much lesser quantity of radios than the regional application you submitted?
          No, they received their funding through a different source. It wasn’t a federal application. I believe it was allocated through tax dollars, but it wasn’t a done deal at the time of submission so we didn’t bank on it being there. It’s been labeled as a “county contribution”. They did not physically purchase any of the radios, they are only offering a portion of the cost for a set number of units for first line pieces such as engines and trucks. Most departments are only eligible to receive 5-10 radios total at the reduced cost. The remainder are priced at the contract cost, which is 70-80% of the total number of units required to meet NFPA standards in most instances.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X