Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Comm grant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comm grant

I'm new at this.....so any help, information, guidance, or a successful narrative would really be appreciated.
    We are county volunteer fire department in a very rural area. We have 23 departments in the county--all are 100% volunteer.

Our county went to the 800 system several years ago. The county purchased radios for each department Motorala XTS 2500 hand-held radio for each officer.....about 4-5 per department. We have been informed that after the 1st of the year---the model 2500 will not be repairable and will need to be replaced. Would a regional grant work for this? Four radios for 23 departments would be almost a million dollars. What's my chances????

thanks for any help.

Portables are like SCBA, 1 per seat on pumpers, aerials, and rescues (any type) with a minimum of 4 per apparatus

All other vehicles get 1 portable.

It's also a minimum of 12 portables per department, same as SCBA since that's the only way you can comply with 2in/2out and proper NIMS/ICS. So even if you have 1 2-seat pumper and a brush truck, you still get 12 portables do put wherever you can fit them.

Also for those that don't have a command vehicle assigned to the Chief you can request 1 mobile and 1 portable for the Chief's POV, but just the Chief, not Assistants, Deputies, or Battalions.
    Below is in the NOFO (Notice of Funding opportunity)
    RADIOS
    IMPORTANT: Recipients that do not have authority to operate in the 700 MHz public safety broadband spectrum (e.g., via FCC regulatory action and/or agreement with FirstNet) should not submit requests for, and will not be permitted to use, FEMA AFG funding for broadband-related acquisition and deployment until they have such authority to operate in the spectrum. Any 700 MHz narrow band items purchased with AFG funds needs to have the ability to be used in broadband as well. Information regarding 700MHz broadband may be found at, https://www.dhs.gov/publication/funding-documents
    • The only eligible AFG activity for interoperable communications equipment is the acquisition of P-25 compliant equipment.
    • P-25 compliant interoperable communications equipment has a digital platform that is programmable, scalable, and can communicate in analog mode with legacy radios, and in both analog and digital mode with other P-25 equipment. P-25 compliance enhances interoperability, allowing first responders to communicate with each other to coordinate their response to and mitigate all hazards.
    • The procurement of interoperable communications equipment that does not meet P-25 compliance is unallowable.
    • There are no waivers for P-25 waivers compliance. All recipients awarded activities with emergency communication equipment and its related activities must comply with the SAFECOM Guidance for Emergency Communication Grants, including provisions on technical standards that ensure and enhance interoperable communications. The technical specifications for FY 2017 SAFECOM Guidance on Emergency Communications Grants is available at: https://www.dhs.gov/safecom/blog/201...rvey-target-id It is the recipient’s responsibility to obtain documented evidence that the equipment to be acquired has been tested and passed all the applicable P-25 requirements and the recipient shall be able to produce such documentation to the FEMA upon request.
    • AFG applicants are not required to identify a specific P-25-compliant product in their application narrative, but they must affirm that the interoperable communications equipment requested or acquired will be P-25 compliant.
    If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

AFG loves regional grants - it shows that folks are working together.

All the info in the previous post is very important.

Consider hiring a grant writer with experience in AFG. They know the right words to use.

Disclaimer - I'm not a grant writer, and I don't even know any.
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by carlthompson View Post
        I'm new at this.....so any help, information, guidance, or a successful narrative would really be appreciated.
        We are county volunteer fire department in a very rural area. We have 23 departments in the county--all are 100% volunteer.

Our county went to the 800 system several years ago. The county purchased radios for each department Motorala XTS 2500 hand-held radio for each officer.....about 4-5 per department. We have been informed that after the 1st of the year---the model 2500 will not be repairable and will need to be replaced. Would a regional grant work for this? Four radios for 23 departments would be almost a million dollars. What's my chances????

thanks for any help.
        You should probably recheck your math and/or find out an approximate price. $10,000 per portable is a little on the high side. The replacement for the XTS 2500 is the APX 4000. They are very comparable in size (actually a little smaller) and still cost approximately $2500. The APX 6000 is a more robust version like the XTS5000 was and those run approximately $3200.
        Lots of unnecessary options for most volunteer departments.
        These prices include P25 compliancy and SmartZone so if I recall the software is a bit higher with SmartZone. I'm not trying to deter you from applying because I have been considering the same for the 7 volunteer departments in my county but want you to be correct on your cost estimates. Also, just because new parts won't be available from Motorola does not mean that parts are not out there to keep these functioning in case this grant falls through. Good justification, just want to ensure you have all your facts.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by carlthompson View Post

thanks for any help.
          First off, your math is wrong. Capable radios can be had for as little as $1500, for your 800 Mhz system. Even less at times. If you bought the latest and greatest Motorola APX radios, it would still be under 5k per radio, so the cost would be more like 500k. BUT, with having to get at least 12 radios, it puts you at a 60k amount per department, or nearly 1,400.000 for the county. FEMA is going to want you to show where you are going to come up with your 10% cost share, at 140k of course.

Yes, regional grants, well written are looked favorably upon, and subscriber units (radios) are certainly eligible.

Now, the XTS2500 radios are out there in such quantity that there will be parts available for many many years, and dealers will continue to support them.

You could also consider bridging your existing paging channel to the 800 Mhz system

Comment

As an FY2018 comms recipient I can tell you that your pricing will drastically vary by vendors.
            You must also pay special attention to radios that are designed for the fire service and those who are for public service. After extensive fair market research i can tell you that some of the above pricing is accurate and some if off a little based on my previous statement. For example, we reached out to 4 vendors. We fully expected Motorola to come back away higher than all other but actually beat 2 of them. As I read thought their documentation i noticed the prices portables were designed for public service. I called the vendor and asked if they are fire rates. His reply was that yes, but only if worn in a holster under a coat. He sells a lot of smaller volunteer departments these radios. Point being, if you all are hard on radios, make sure you're paying attention to the service in which they are designed.

The above guys are right, you can get a quality radio for about 2500 per portable. When we asked the Motorola guy price the fire service (APX 6000) radio, it added 30k for 25 portables. We ultimately chose another vendor with a quality radio.

I cannot stress enough needs vs wants and proper justification for a comms grant.

When you're pricing these make sure you're using your brain and not just requesting the best of the best because they look cool or you have seen it on Chicago Fire. Find a quality radio and better yet, a quality service/programmer guy who will be there to help with the little things without much hassle. Pay attention to warranties and replacement battery costs as well. Remember, you're getting funded now, but are expected to make this equipment last its entire service life. That usually means some mic and battery replacements along the way.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X