Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Comm Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comm Question

Can anyone refer me to where it discusses 700 over 800 mhz comm projects in AFG NOFO?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

I don't think it's in the NOFO. You have to follow the link on page 39 for P-25 compliance. After following a series of links, I found this:

Last Updated: 11/25/2018 8:45:20 PM

Previous SEL Number: 06CP-01-PORT

Description: Individual/portable radio transceivers.

ImportantFeatures: Digital or analog capable.
    Encryption capability.
    Supports 12.5KHz channels (6.25KHz channels are becoming available).
    Supports conventional or trunked systems.
    Project 25 compatible (136-512, 800 MHz).
    Project 25 required within 700MHz.
    Optional waterproofing to allow use after complete immersion.
    Can be intrinsically safe.
    Multi-band, GPS/GLONASS, Bluetooth, Over The Air Reprogramming/rekeying (OTAR). TDMA Phase 2, FDMA Phase 1. Wifi (802.11 B/G/N)

Operating Considerations: See 47 CFR 90 FCC for applicable standard.
    Portable radios may not be advisable in EOD operations - consider hard-line or other solutions.

Consider waterproof models for use in water operations/rescue environments, and ruggedized modes such as those built to MILSPEC standards. Further recommend an IP 56 rating under ANSI /IEC 60529.
    Consider power options (rechargeable batteries versus clamshell versus alkaline).
    Consider carrying strategy for individuals - belt holder, clip, etc.
    Consider FIPS compliance if planning to interface with Federal Government resources.
    Check compatibility of encryption features - not all encryption schemes are compatible. Multiple options are available, including ADP, AES, DES, DES-XL, DES-OFB, DVPXL; WIFI security: WPA2 WPA WEP. However, less expensive approaches such as ADP will not meet Federal grant requirements for compliance with the P25/AES standard. Also, DES and its variants are now considered to be insecure for many applications. In recent years, DES has been superseded by the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), and DES has been withdrawn as a standard by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (formerly the National Bureau of Standards). For encrypted interoperability, AES encryption is the only encryption that meets the P25 type 3 encryption standards for interoperability communications.
    When implementing encryption, consider encryption key management, including encryption key generation, management, and rotation.

Training Requirements: Core Training: Per Manufacturer's Specifications
    Initial Training: Minimal (<1 day)
    Sustainment Training: Minimal (<1 day)

Mandatory Standards:

Applicable Standards and References:

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Kurt Bradley

Comment

Kurt, that seems to be contrary to previous is it not? I thought P-25 800 was the only acceptable thing.
        BB

Comment

In past NOFO's it specifically prohibited 700mhz but I believe that's since been changed since FirstNet is more stabilized on what frequencies they're using now.
          Brian P. Vickers
          CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
          FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
          www.helpmewithgrants.com
          www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

700 is P25 only in use, so it is easy to mandate it to P25 by FEMA. Heavy use in metro areas, and totally independent of Firstnet.

Comment

BB3939, don't trust what I posted. Kurt and Brian are way more knowledgeable than I am. I was pointing out Kurt was right, it's not in the NOFO. On top of that you have part of a guessing game to find the right link to the standards. My fire company's thinking about a comm grant and was hoping one of them could point me in the right direction on the standards.

Comment

I thought FirstNet was in 700range hence the blocking of apps for it initially. Too many things spinning at once, trying to remember old NOFOs is a challenge right about now...
                Brian P. Vickers
                CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                www.helpmewithgrants.com
                www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Our county adopted a DTRS (Digital Trunked Radio System) in the early to mid 1990's which was before the P-25 standard. The Motorola DTRS system didn't communicate with the Erickson DTRS system. This brought about the mandated P-25 standards. Originally the tower sites were all 800 band. Since then the State of Colorado adopted DTRS statewide and the two systems were merged. Due to increases in the number of individual radios and users on the system, the 800 spectrum became limited in the number of frequency pairs available for trunking. As the system grew to cover dead spots, the newer towers were of the 700 band as frequency pairs for talk groups were more readily available. All of our radios are DTRS P-25 compatible to operate over both the 700 and 800 bands. The DTRS system seamlessly moves between the 700 and 800 bands and as a end user, you never know whether you are using 700 or 800 unless you determine which tower you are connected to and which band the tower uses. A Net-First Zone has recently been added to our radios.

Comment

The most important thing to remember is that even though the radio is P-25 compatible, your purchase MUST include software (at additional cost) that makes the radio compatible with the DTRS system as provided by the local, regional or state network provider. You can buy used P-25 compatible radios on eBay. But if you don't know what specific radio software is REQUIRED on your local system (Flash Code), you could end up spending hundreds of dollars (or thousands) to purchase the software for that specific radio. Make sure you budget for the necessary software by coordinating with your local radio network system provider. Authorized radio dealer/representatives should also be able to assist you in providing quotes that include appropriate software for your local network features. Just remember that DTRS radios are nothing more than a computer. The P-25 standards provide what might be considered an operating system. But you still have to buy the application software to run the radio on your local network.

Comment

I knew I had seen something in years past about 700 Mhz but it is my understanding now that 700 or 800 are acceptable.
                      Kurt Bradley

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                        I thought FirstNet was in 700range hence the blocking of apps for it initially. Too many things spinning at once, trying to remember old NOFOs is a challenge right about now...
                        https://www.fcc.gov/700-mhz-public-s...wband-spectrum

Firstnet is occupying a portion of the 700 mhz band, but for digital BROADBAND only. No voice, no P25, just data. Of course, if you choose to use VoIP type service, or LTE voice, that is fine, but no narrowband voice like we are all used to.

There are about 960 repeater pairs for P25 operation on the 700 Mhz band, and then the 10 Mhz that is allocated for Firstnet.

No one is using narrowband voice on the Firstnet allocation, and the APX and XTS radios will not tune there.
                        Last edited by LVFD301; 07-05-2019, 08:54 PM. Reason: Because I wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by AsstChief132 View Post
                          A Net-First Zone has recently been added to our radios.
                          What is a Net-First zone?

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                            You are not fooling anyone with that line. You work? (would you like a new battery with that?)

Comment

This information may be a little dated, but it worked for me with my 2016 AFG Grant for 700 MHz radios. The AFG Office was initially going to deny the portion of the grant that dealt with funds for 700 MHz radios in which they were referencing "FEMA Grant Programs Directorate Information Bulletin, No. 386, June 15, 2012". However, with some research, I was able to get clarification on the issue from a previous grantee (who went through the same argument with the Grants Office). He said to specifically reference the second to last paragraph on page 4, which is italicized, that dictates that the constraints placed on grant funding are applicable only to broadband communication projects. The majority of users in the 700 MHz range operate in the narrowbands, not the broadbands. After sending that information to the Grants Office, and that we were going to only be operating in the narrowbands, the project was approved.

As I said earlier, this information is a little dated, and I haven't researched the issue since then, so I don't know if things have changed. If someone has newer information that contradicts this dated information, please let me know so that I'm not giving out bad information.

I have attached the Directorate to this entry - I hope it helps.

FEMA 700 MHz Directorate No 386 June 15 2012.pdf

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X