Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to grants

Hello all,

I just received a promotion, and have been told that grant writing has fallen to me. If I could get any help from the forum members, it would be appreciated. I have a list started of possible grant opportunities, but was just really unsure of what position to write from. The poor us, begging, or just put the facts in and let them decide. Thanks!

az_emt_911
    Chris
    Willcox Volunteer Fire Department

Make sure you read the NOFO 2 or 3 times when it comes out. Decide on what your need is and check it with the NOFO information and see if its top priority. If your need does not fall in the top priority, do not apply for it and find what you need that falls under the top priority and apply for it. Your Financial Need portion is where you can tell how poor you are and why you need help. Jeff
    If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

I would strongly recommend that you get into a grant writing class. http://www.firstrespondergrants.com. I would echo the previous post, and encourage you to read the AFG NOFO for 2018, so you can become familiar with the AFG grants. Here is the link for that: https://www.fema.gov/media-library-d...8_AFG_NOFO.pdf

Good luck it is very rewarding when you are awarded for your department. $22 million in awards for me!

Comment

Don't confine yourself to AFG. There are grants through USDA, HUD, and many corporations and foundations that are available depending on your location, demographics, and so forth. Keep applying and keep learning, and stay around the forums to pick up information.

“I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
        ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

EastKyFF may I ask what is available through HUD?
          BB

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
            Don't confine yourself to AFG. There are grants through USDA, HUD, and many corporations and foundations that are available depending on your location, demographics, and so forth. Keep applying and keep learning, and stay around the forums to pick up information.
            I most certainatly am not confining myself to just the AFG/FEMA grants. They just seem the most daunting with the information they require, and rules and regs and what not. I feel very confident in my grant writing for the corps and foundations, just really unsure with the AFG/FEMA grants. Thanks for the feedback though. Mirroring what BB3939 asked, what grants are there through HUD and USDA. Haven't seen them. Thanks a million for the feedback all. Also, I am planning on getting into a grant writing class. Thanks again to everyone who read, and/or responded.
            Chris
            Willcox Volunteer Fire Department

Comment

AZ emt 911, I sent you a PM
              If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

az-emt-911 , USDA has the Rural Facilities Grant Program which will fund FD stuff if your demographics fit (generally under 20K pop). Look me up if you are looking to attend a grant training class. www.firstrespondergrants.com
                Kurt Bradley
                Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

HUD is the funding source for Community Development Block Grants, which my department just received for phase I of constructing a new station. You think AFG is daunting, try this thing! ;-)

We have received three grants from the Rural Community Facilities Loans & Grants program through the Rural Development Administration under USDA. There are population & per capita income requirements, but we have met them and been funded for three different trucks over the last 20-odd years. They have gone from providing 75% of the project cost to 55% in that time but always offered to loan us the rest at a very low rate. The shrinking percentage could be a result of their rules or it could be how our per capita income has changed. Still a bargain.
                  Last edited by EastKyFF; 05-30-2019, 09:54 AM.
                  “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                  ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

HUD grants are generally thought of as for Public Housing since that's part of the name of the department handing out the money, but that's not a restriction. Any area with public housing probably qualifies at some level, and like CDBG they're block grants meaning "here's your money, spend it legally" and that's about the end the applications. Since it goes off the Census Data for low-moderate income population, unemployment, poverty rate, etc, that's how eligibility is determined along with the amount of funding available to the municipality. The HUD grants have the purpose of benefiting areas of lower economic status and back in the day it was actual Housing but over the years it's been changed to allow for any benefits since Housing isn't as much of a concern. Rather than repaint or change out carpet every year having improved EMS and Fire hits the impoverished areas just as much so as long as the benefits are within a designated HUD zone it's a valid expense.

Many moons ago when Bill White was Mayor of Houston he authorized HUD money for 47 vehicles for HFD from ladders to medic responders. The only stipulation was placing those vehicles within stations in HUD zones, which is easy enough to do, just have to rearrange the fleet a little. Another city north of here has 1/3rd of the City designated as a HUD zone so it's built and equipped 3 stations within said zone with all equipment and apparatus. It covers everything but personnel costs. The local offices can tell you if you qualify and if so for how much. Thing is like any other free money it turns into a political football so have your helmet and hip boots on for any discussions if you qualify...
                    Brian P. Vickers
                    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                    www.helpmewithgrants.com
                    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Hello all. I have returned from a long hiatus in grant writing and lost touch of things. Seems like this FEMA GO is a new deal and I have noticed from catching up on the boards I am in for a long learning process to get back up to speed. I looked at the AFG site to get an idea on where to start for my new department but it seems just to run me in circles. I guess it is in between cycles and needs to be reset.
                      I am glad to see some of the "old" guard still hanging in there.

Comment

Welcome back WJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X