AFG Portable Radio Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFG Portable Radio Question

Has anyone been awarded a grant for portable radios that were 14 years old and younger?

Also, what's the max amount FEMA will give you for portables?

Thanks!
    Jeff

We just got a full replacement of all of our radios via a FEMA grant - but our county is changing over to a trunked system so as of the changeover date next year, everything currently in use will be obsolete.

I'm pretty sure we got enough money to buy the radios we needed, price not being a major factor. Usually if you are buying in quantity, you can get a discount.

Are you buying radios as an in-kind replacement for existing equipment, or are you moving to a new technology? Will the new radios enhance your operations? How so? include that in your application.

Remember that new radios must be P25 capable, even if you're not using P25.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Would you have access to and be willing to share the narrative for the radio grant y'all got?

Comment

Your choice of radios dictates the cost. If you need 700/800/VHF radios, you need to figure 7k each, and justify why you need that much. Remember that your radio grant goes to the state for review, then peer review, then technical review to make sure that it complies with your state SCIP.

If you only need 2k radios, then just ask for the 2k radios. All three levels know what the costs are

Comment

All good points! I don't know what (if any) FEMA has in mind with respect to a maximum $$ amount it will pay out. Let me add to this thread (but please correct me if I am wrong). You have to be cautious about your $$ request per radio and what FEMA $$ will actually pay out. It seems that if your $$ request per radio is too high, your grant proposal might be outright rejected. On the other hand, if your $$ request is lower, you will have to pay the difference between what the vendor price and what you receive from FEMA.

For example, if the vendor quotes you $4000 per radio and you request $3000 per radio to perhaps score better in your grant application and FEMA offers you $3000 per radio, you will have to provide the cost match PLUS the $1000 difference. Multiply this by the quantity of radios you are buying and this final number can add up quickly and maybe unexpectedly.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
            We just got a full replacement of all of our radios via a FEMA grant - but our county is changing over to a trunked system so as of the changeover date next year, everything currently in use will be obsolete.

I'm pretty sure we got enough money to buy the radios we needed, price not being a major factor. Usually if you are buying in quantity, you can get a discount.

Are you buying radios as an in-kind replacement for existing equipment, or are you moving to a new technology? Will the new radios enhance your operations? How so? include that in your application.

Remember that new radios must be P25 capable, even if you're not using P25.
            What is the model number of the radios that you have? Sometimes radio reps are less than honest about how easy it is to upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Skojo View Post
              All good points! I don't know what (if any) FEMA has in mind with respect to a maximum $$ amount it will pay out. Let me add to this thread (but please correct me if I am wrong). You have to be cautious about your $$ request per radio and what FEMA $$ will actually pay out. It seems that if your $$ request per radio is too high, your grant proposal might be outright rejected. On the other hand, if your $$ request is lower, you will have to pay the difference between what the vendor price and what you receive from FEMA.

For example, if the vendor quotes you $4000 per radio and you request $3000 per radio to perhaps score better in your grant application and FEMA offers you $3000 per radio, you will have to provide the cost match PLUS the $1000 difference. Multiply this by the quantity of radios you are buying and this final number can add up quickly and maybe unexpectedly.
              Again, ask for what you need, explain it in the narrative, make sure it aligns with your state SCIP plan. Don't ask for 8k each for the latest and greatest dual band massage you radio if all you need is an 800 mhz trunking radio. Let the person over your state plan, tech review, and peer review do their jobs, and you will do fine.

You folks are putting way too much thought into this.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post

What is the model number of the radios that you have? Sometimes radio reps are less than honest about how easy it is to upgrade
                No upgrade to the radios is involved - we are currently on VHF-Low and will be switching over to the UHF trunked system. This is a wholesale replacement. Much of the old low band stuff may well end up in the dumpster.

I don't have any of the new portables available right now - they're still in storage. I think the mobiles are Moto APX7000(?).

Comment

Originally posted by jballew3500 View Post
                  Would you have access to and be willing to share the narrative for the radio grant y'all got?
                  I'll have to check with the person who handles the grants for the board of commissioners. We may have paid to have the grant written, in which case the answer may be no. Justification was easy - we need all new radios as the old ones simply won't work on the new system. What helps a great deal is if you can include several agencies in your request. They love to see that kind of cooperation. We had two fire departments and an ambulance service.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post

No upgrade to the radios is involved - we are currently on VHF-Low and will be switching over to the UHF trunked system. This is a wholesale replacement. Much of the old low band stuff may well end up in the dumpster.

I don't have any of the new portables available right now - they're still in storage. I think the mobiles are Moto APX7000(?).
                    There is still a limited market for that old low band gear. Let me know when the time comes and I will help you find a buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post

There is still a limited market for that old low band gear. Let me know when the time comes and I will help you find a buyer.
                      Great! I'll keep that in mind. We run at 46.18 and environs. With 44 departments, there will be substantial equipment available.

We've considered trying to get hams interested, as some of the newer radios are capable of working at 6 meters (50 MHz), but so far no bites.

Comment

98% of Hams now a days are not interested in anything other than ready to run gear on 2 meters. I have a customer in Haiti however that has a low band system covering the entire country from one site.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X