Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Midwest drought

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest drought

The drought in the midwest continues... both rain and grant!

Is there still a volly/paid split? I noticed of the whopping 5 grants awarded to Kansas fire departments, all 5 are paid department.

Yes, still the 25% for each type with the last being a free for all.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Poor Nebraska hasn't scored a award yet this year.

Comment

Well Nebraska finally got on the score board this week. We finally got some rain (but came in a flood) but still experiencing a grant drought

Comment

Originally posted by mitchkrat View Post
          Well Nebraska finally got on the score board this week. We finally got some rain (but came in a flood) but still experiencing a grant drought
          I'd be curious to know how many departments actually applied form those two states. I think that would be the tale of the tape.
          Kurt Bradley
          Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
          " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Probably been close to 10 years but at one point I worked on 98% of the money awarded to Nevada that year, which sounds nice until one knows it was only 5 total awards in the state out of the maybe 25-30 applications that were submitted. It's understandable that after many attempts and getting canned that some stop applying, but it happens even with those who are going after the top priorities. We hit a bunch of money in NE & KS over the years and several we're out of high priorities to ask for, some don't even have low priorities they can ask for since pretty much everything was handled either through grants or budget. I had at least 1 each in NE and KS who needed structural PPE but at least once they had no structure fires on the call volume report because there wasn't one from that 3 year period so they got bounced by the computer. Once they had at least 1 across the 3 years they were funded quickly. That's the extreme end of things, but not rare when it comes to very rural areas.

It's somewhere around here but someone in SD finally hit their tanker in 2016 AFG after 10+ years of applying, first time they beat the computer. If you can't afford to buy it, no reason you shouldn't keep applying. It's minimal effort to run a resubmit, so other than updates it should be less than an hour to get ready for the next cycle to stick something back in. Congressional folks can't lobby for the program to get more money if the request counts don't go up.
            Brian P. Vickers
            www.helpmewithgrants.com
            www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Well said Brian. I encourage all departments to keep applying, there has to be a positive need shown or the program will eventually die out. My clients always ask what are our chances? And I tell them, "Zero, if you don't apply". It is simple. You cant Win if you don't Play. So anyone feeling discouraged because you were denied, it is not personal, do some research for any possible improvements to your applications, and apply again. A Denial does not mean you don't have a need for what you are asking for. This program is very competitive and it can sometimes take many attempts to get what you are requesting.

Comment

Every department I know of in our area of Kansas applied, none were awarded. I'm starting to resent some of the comments on the board that hint that maybe those of us in the midwest aren't "smart enough" to write competitive grants. I'm a data guy and work with some really smart data scientist and this is driving me nuts. Enough of my Friday rants....

Comment

Maybe I missed something but with only 8 comments here I'm not finding where anyone brought up anything about a lack of intelligence as a reason for the denials. A lot of our midwest apps didn't make it either, and I'd like to think we know what we're doing too, but overall it's the numbers most times especially when it's computer denials it's only the numbers. Hence the changes to 2018 where 12 year old PPE doesn't get the same initial scoring as 20 year old gear, now the ages are on their own merits. Still comes down to the ratios, which is the same in the regular non-profit world and what I tell that group of clients that we work with. If one homeless shelter will feed 500 people for $10k and the other can do 1000 for the same $10k, guess who's getting the money? The one with twice the effect per dollar. Doesn't mean the other one isn't doing good work, but all grant programs receive 8-10 times the amount of funding available so once the ratios are fleshed out it's the argument side of things.

For anyone that's heard me talk about the argument part you've heard my brain teaser on grants: It's not about answering the questions you're asked. It's about answering the questions those who will read your application haven't asked in their heads yet because they haven't read what you haven't written.

More on that next month in Nashville, bright and early on Saturday at my presentation for anyone that's going to be there. Think it's 8-9:30am. Getting in Thursday, missed my run to Lynchburg 2 years ago when I presented there, not missing this time hence the 6am flight from here. I need me more tourist trap stuff.
                  Brian P. Vickers
                  www.helpmewithgrants.com
                  www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                    It's somewhere around here but someone in SD finally hit their tanker in 2016 AFG after 10+ years of applying, first time they beat the computer. If you can't afford to buy it, no reason you shouldn't keep applying. It's minimal effort to run a resubmit, so other than updates it should be less than an hour to get ready for the next cycle to stick something back in. Congressional folks can't lobby for the program to get more money if the request counts don't go up.
                    Nicely put everyone about trying over and over. I'm the one in SD that hit the tanker after many many many years of trying. Persistence is a key to even having a chance. I feel that if departments don't want to apply, they must be sitting pretty well on their budgets and/or equipment; although I really doubt there are volunteer departments out there that are sitting that good, maybe a few but not many. IMO these departments don't look forward into the future too far; they are content where they are at and don't feel the need to better themselves. Complacency is what causes accidents many times...

mitchkrat - keep your head up and keep trying. Sometimes just getting past the computer is a huge accomplishment in itself after many years.

Comment

Got to with Brian on this one, I have not seen any remarks that suggest that people in the mid-west are not smart enough to write a grant. If people wrote as many grants as some of us do on here and got offended, gave up trying by Dear john letters, folks, Grants are just not for you. Reach out to people on this forum and I guarantee that help will be on the way. We all have some knowledge of this process and we try to reach to people that need help. Don't give up, PM folks on here for advice. This is just my opinion. Jeff
                      If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

I have writen grants for 15 year - have hit on 6 over those years. It used to a every other year and the years we didn't succeed our neighbors did. Things have dramatically slowed down since 2012. Attached report is a good read.... https://fas.org/sgp/crs/homesec/RL32341.pdf

The report basically shows a shift of FIRE Act $$ from volunteer to paid, coupled with the general shift of $$ from the FIRE Act to SAFER. It does note that the distribution is a concern to Congress - so have to contact my delegation and give them my 2 cents.

Comment

Didn't read the whole thing (yet) but not surprising about the shift because career used to be the smallest award totals since so few had high priority needs. The 25% minimum to each department type helped that so now some not so needed projects get funded in career and combination because of that, leaving high priority volunteer requests unfunded.

Now of course when you go to the numbers a career department in a busy area requesting technical rescue and runs a few calls a month for those types of incidents might very well be handling more rescues than some departments handle in total fires per year between structure, vehicle, and wildland. That's why the whole thing isn't just apples and oranges comparisons, we got mangoes, pineapples, and kumquats in the mix now.

Biggest thing is look how the money has dropped since 2008, and considering both the dot-com and real estate market bust it's not surprising per se, but spending in other areas went up. I'm all for reducing the deficit so not giving free money to countries that hate us has been cut down a lot but still we need to get back to at least $500mil in AFG. $750mil would be a pipe dream but also nice if we get there.
                          Brian P. Vickers
                          www.helpmewithgrants.com
                          www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse