Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Station Generator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Station Generator

Looking for information on whole station generator via AFG. I cannot find it listed under equipment or station modifications. Is it allowed and if so, what priority does it fall under? Thanks for any help!

Medium priority under station modifications. You will not get it funded on AFG. Try State Homeland Security Grant Program for your state.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
      Medium priority under station modifications. You will not get it funded on AFG. Try State Homeland Security Grant Program for your state.
      Kurt, I was just passed that info on the Homeland Grant. How successful is that?

Comment

They will fund it if the need is there, especially if your station is designated an emergency shelter or warming station and if you get the project vetted by local and State EMA office.
        Kurt Bradley
        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

SHGP is the political football of the grants, they aren't open applications unless you work your way up your county food chain. The State Administrative Agency just has to verify that the project meets DHS and AEL guidelines, otherwise the decisions on who gets the money happens below that level. UASI is the same way in the urban areas, not real application process since the ones who have already been deemed the recipients of the funding are the only ones allowed to submit apps. Some programs are opening up since past years' money has handled the communications infrastructure and other projects that needed completion for major regional improvements, and they're moving on to some open processes but it's still handled at the county or multi-county level.

In other words, before you get all wound up over it, found out how it works in your area otherwise you'll be doing a lot of paperwork that's just going into the round file upon receipt.

Other option in rural areas is USDA, and a lot of people have been picking up federal surplus. They're mostly diesel gensets but I've seen a lot come across the TX FEPP system for sale with at best a few hundred hours on them and anywhere from 20kW up through 200kW and some even trailer mounted. I know a lot of folks want natural gas or propane, but when some of these can be had for just a few grand versus buying a whole new one at $50k or more, something beats nothing. Check around your own states also, TX just has such a large military presence that most of what the surplus system has is military. Some DOT and other sources, but mostly military. They had a couple of ARFF trucks on last week's email.

Since they're for sale it's open to anyone that wants to come get it, not just TX agencies. And not just agencies, since the stuff is for sale any private citizen can stop on down and pick up some stuff. Almost tempted to make a road trip myself for some of the power tools they had, large capacity bandsaws for woodworking, and other fun things.
          Brian P. Vickers
          CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
          FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
          www.helpmewithgrants.com
          www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post

Other option in rural areas is USDA, and a lot of people have been picking up federal surplus. They're mostly diesel gensets but I've seen a lot come across the TX FEPP system for sale with at best a few hundred hours on them and anywhere from 20kW up through 200kW and some even trailer mounted. I know a lot of folks want natural gas or propane, but when some of these can be had for just a few grand versus buying a whole new one at $50k or more, something beats nothing. Check around your own states also, TX just has such a large military presence that most of what the surplus system has is military. Some DOT and other sources, but mostly military. They had a couple of ARFF trucks on last week's email.

I'll second the government freebie suggestion. We're able to acquire federal excess through the IL DNR and we've done amazingly well with it, probably received close to $75K of stuff by now. You have to be willing to work for it, to scan the sites you can get things through, and do the work to go get it, but it is worth it.

A lot of stuff that we've received isn't absolutely mission critical, but it enables us to do our jobs better. I've received snow blowers for all three stations, an inflatable "ice skiff" and outboard motor, absolutely beautiful rolling chairs and desks for one of our classrooms, overhead projectors, office furniture for our admin offices, a motorized projector screen, new in the box dryers, used by very nice refrigerators for the stations, etc. If you can justify it for firefighting use, from the standpoint it will be used in your facilities reasonably, you can get some great stuff.

I've seen LPG gensets on some of the lists, you just have to look and be patient and you'll find them. And we willing to drive a few hundred miles or more depending on how bad you want the item you're looking for. The LPG stuff can usually be very easily converted to natural gas.

Check out this site for more info: https://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/fepp/
            "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

That still running through the State Forestry to make the requests? That's usually the hang-up people have is that they can't get their local Forestry folks to sit down long enough to get the paperwork done to make the request.

I heard that they might be streamlining that but since it's a state by state thing I wasn't sure if anyone had changed. Also that's when the items are at the donation level still, the one I posted about is when no one requests it through the donation system so it goes up for general sale including the public. This is where people buy the LMTVs and Hummers off surplus.
              Brian P. Vickers
              www.helpmewithgrants.com
              www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                That still running through the State Forestry to make the requests? That's usually the hang-up people have is that they can't get their local Forestry folks to sit down long enough to get the paperwork done to make the request.

I heard that they might be streamlining that but since it's a state by state thing I wasn't sure if anyone had changed. Also that's when the items are at the donation level still, the one I posted about is when no one requests it through the donation system so it goes up for general sale including the public. This is where people buy the LMTVs and Hummers off surplus.
                Our contact here in IL is amazing, and we're blessed to have him. He's usually on top of our requests same day. He's through our state DNR.

There's two channels to get things through, essentially military and GSA. I see a lot of the military stuff end up on GSA after it's gone through the time period it needs to be on their system. Then everything on GSA, if not taken, appears to end up on the GSA auction site where anyone can bid on them.

For example, there's a Kohler 75kW LP fired genset on GSA (not the auction site) with 132 hours on it. It's the style that isn't in an exterior enclosure, but the right folks could probably build something to protect it. And it is already spoken for or "requested" before someone gets all in a rush to try to get it.

"Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

DNR/Forestry, same difference. Tree people. Good to know IL is on top of it, bunch of other states you can't hold a gun to someone's head and get them to put the request in even if you do all the paperwork for them. Lots of viable stuff on these sites, something always beats nothing especially if it can be had for no money and some elbow grease.
                  Brian P. Vickers
                  www.helpmewithgrants.com
                  www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

The FEPP and FFP programs run through your state forester/DNR/Tree people. (Some states like TX those Tree people do so many other things) Some states are much more invested in them than others. In Missouri you can request just about anything, and they have a "store" where you grab a shopping cart and wander the aisles, finding things like new gloves, boots, cold weather gear, 5 gallon bucks of motor oil, lights, replacement parts for military vehicles, medical supplies and equipment, ammo boxes, hardig boxes (How I carry my radio cache, 10 large hardig boxes) refrigerators, and much more. Just toss it in your cart, or tag it, and it is issued to your department. Keep that stuff for one year, then you can dispose of it. Vehicles, for the most part, keep for 4 years and you get the title. We have even gotten some towers and tower shelters for our counties new 911 radio system, and high angle rescue training.

Each State normally has an outlet for federal and state items, offered to agencies first, then to the public. (Not sure about TX)

GSA has items for "donation" which are normally done through the state surplus agencies - or offered for sale. An agency can expect first dibs over public sale or auction, BUT, there is normally a handling fee attached to these items by the state.

Naturally, Law enforcement has a totally separate system they can use, through the DEA. You have probably heard of it, many agencies are not using it anymore, and the items received are limited now. I know of one police agency that got a 5k tanker, publishing equipment, fully loaded patrol cars, (with VHF radios) and much more. They gave a former Asst Chief the job of just milkin... I mean using that system. it was his full-time job.

Another deep southern LE agency got a snowmobile.

LMTV and Hummers are normally sold to the public through www.Govplanet.com They have a contract for almost all government vehicle sales to the public from the military.

Hummers are available to your local department through the FEPP program - they must at this point be returned when no longer needed, as the FEPP program requires your state contact to return them to the military for disposal. FFP is the program where you keep it after 4 years.

Normally the military vehicles listed on the GSA Auction site are ones that have been issued out by the FEPP program and then returned. (Except hummers) https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/ This is open to the public, but some great deals are found from time to time.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90