Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facility modification Vehicle Exhaust removal system question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facility modification Vehicle Exhaust removal system question.

I am currently writing a AFG grant to modify a fire station to put a diesel exhaust removal system in the bays. In the 2017 guidelines it states:
    In recognition of the risks posed by exposure to diesel fumes, Source Capture Exhaust Extraction Systems (SCES) are an AFG High Priority item for vehicle exhaust mitigation under Modification to Facilities. An SCES is a system where exhaust gases from a vehicle are captured directly, via a conduit that attaches to/over the end of the vehicle?s exhaust system at the tailpipe. The captured exhaust gases are expelled through the attached conduit via mechanical/pneumatic means to the exterior of the building.
    My department has been contacting local providers to get a idea of cost. In that process vendors are telling us that the system that does not attach to the tailpipe and simply removes the air in the bay several time per day is eligible in AFG. The statement above is pretty clear to me that it does not cover it. My department in other stations uses the air replacement system and it is preferred by my management to install that type with the grant. I have a good relationship with my regional grant coordinator but unfortunately due to the government shut down I can't get a in-touch with him. Is the air removal system eligible or should I continue with the tailpipe version?

In my humble opinion, you should always match the "High Priority" wording in order to receive the highest probability of funding. When you don't follow their guidelines, and seeking something that is not matching their wording, you are not likely to receive the funding that you need.

Since the guidance specifically states that "is" via conduit that captures the exhaust gases over the end of the tailpipe and expelled via that means - I don't think you'll receive the funding for something that doesn't match their description.

Just as the "Low Priority" items and vehicles are eligible to receive funding - you are also eligible to win the powerball lottery if you play. But, the phrase, "a snowball's chance in ****" keeps coming to mind.

Comment

Source-capture is the highest priority. With regards to "air cleaning systems" - close your bay doors, start your trucks, let me know how you make out.

Comment

That what I figured. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X