Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding the Correction Notice to the NOFO

In regards to the Correction Notice to the NOFO that I received today -

Turn-Out Gear will be a High Priority if it's within its first NFPA life-cycle and it's inoperable due to being broken, damaged, or otherwise unusable. I get that part.

However, what happens if it's older than the first NFPA life-cycle and damaged? Is the computer going to bounce my application and not forward it to peer review if I mark it as "Replace damaged/broken/inoperable equipment to current standard"?

The "Medium Priority" (which usually means "No Priority") really doesn't apply because it states that the gear is still usable, it's just old.

Any suggestions from the guru's as to how to properly proceed is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Welcome to the world of gray....

Technically once a set of PPE is flagged at a training center as being too old for participating then it's pulled from service since that puts you in a liable position if someone goes into a live fire situation and gets hurt. Same as if it goes to the vendor to fix a hole and they say no, can't use that set anymore. What do we call structural PPE that can't be worn into a live fire? A halloween costume or trash, meaning by definition those who can't wear it anymore are now FFs without PPE. You're not replacing theirs because it doesn't exist anymore.

So if you have sets that are too damaged to be used, throw them out if they can't be certified for interior use. 5 year old gear with holes in the knees isn't structural PPE anymore so it shouldn't get put in your app as such. All comes down to NFPA, so it's not me making it up, NFPA says it's no good under certain conditions so if those conditions exist it's not PPE anymore.

This "clarification" is meant to make people think about why they're replacing the PPE, and if it's just old maybe that shouldn't be the first thing you think of applying for.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
      Welcome to the world of gray....
      With a change to the notice and funding priority... would those that had already clicked "submit", having cited their turnouts as simply being old, be allowed to go back in and change their application?

Comment

Don't know, would be a Helpdesk question. thinking not knowing it is the feds...but worth asking.
        Brian P. Vickers
        www.helpmewithgrants.com
        www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Brian - I forgot to send a "Thank you" your way for the way that your answer clarified a gray area.

Comment

No problem, like Lego Batman I work in dark gray...
            Brian P. Vickers
            www.helpmewithgrants.com
            www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse