X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FP&S

AFG E-MAIL ALERT 04.10.2017

IN THIS E-MAIL:
    *APPLICATION PERIOD DATES ANNOUNCED FOR THE FY 2016 FIRE PREVENTION AND SAFETY (FP&S) GRANTS

*FY 2016 FIRE PREVENTION AND SAFETY APPLICATION ASSISTANCE TOOLS

THE FY 2016 FIRE PREVENTION & SAFETY (FP&S) APPLICATION PERIOD WILL OPEN ON MONDAY, APRIL 17, 2017 AT 8 AM ET AND WILL CLOSE ON FRIDAY, MAY 19, 2017 AT 5 PM ET

Begin preparing your application now by reviewing the Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) and the technical assistance tools that are now available. It is important to read the NOFO thoroughly as it contains the key programmatic updates and application requirements for all eligible applicants.

FY 2016 Fire Prevention & Safety Application Assistance Tools

* Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)

* Research & Development (R&D) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) ? New for R&D applicants

* FP&S Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

*Application Checklist ? FP&S Applicants, this checklist will help you prepare to answer
    general administrative questions in your FP&S grant application.

*Self-Evaluation Guide ? FP&S Applicants, asses your readiness to apply. This tool will help you prepare information needed to answer the evaluation criteria within the application.

*FY 2016 FP&S Cost Share Calculator

*FP&S Grants Help Desk: If you have questions about the NOFO or technical assistance tools listed, call or e-mail the FP&S Grants Help Desk. The toll-free number is 1-866-274-0960; the e-mail address for questions is [email protected].

AFG Home Page: www.fema.gov/firegrants
    AFG Regional Representatives: http://www.fema.gov/fire-grant-contact-information
    AFG Help Desk: E-mail: [email protected]
    Telephone Toll-Free: 1-866-274-0960

If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

SAFER being read next week.
    If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

For those who don't know, can we shout out any projects or programs covered under this grant for volunteer departments that have been awarded. I know of some smoke detector programs, CO detector programs, and Fire Education.
      With that said, now is not the time to start preparing a new application, however I think there would be some projects covered by this grant that most people don't realize.
      I know that you should recognize the need in the community and your department first, for outside assistance, then look for the grant. However, I think this grant in particular is confusing for volunteer departments and all the potential projects that can be covered. Any information from the Guru's would be super helpful.
      The application is so stretched out and intense, that for you professional grant writers out there, hopefully this will conjure up some business. Please sound off and get the word out for some worthwhile projects.

Comment

OK WVFDCapt32 challenge accepted. So here are a few ideas for you to banter around:

1.) Change over from manual fire plans in milk crates, to computerized plans with micro-second response vs. 8-10 minutes to find specific , critical information needed to properly stage and initiate attack plan.

2.) Smoke/CO detector program specifically targeting hard of hearing, deaf or the blind in your community. We all have these folks in our communities and they are especially high risk. Myself included as prior to getting my hearing aids (which are not worn at night) if it had not been for my dog barking at me furiously in my office, my kitchen would have been destroyed. Yes, even I had to recognize that I was in that high risk group now. Great thing is these projects receive additional consideration and high priority if these high risk groups are addressed.

3.) Yes, you still can get " fire awareness and education" trailers; if the project is done right and that requires some pre-award work on your part that usually takes longer than the 30 day application period to complete successfully. No they can't have severe weather equipment in them , no they can't be converted to mobile command posts but, if you are addressing the targeted risk groups ( those under 14 yoa and those over 65 yoa) they can and are awarded still.

4.) How about a "formal" fire risk assessment of your community? Too many people don't do this and it guides you in future years to identify, prioritize and develop programs to address same.

These are just a few ideas.I hope they might get your creative juices flowing. Folks there is $35 million here for the taking. Yes, the big boys get big grants; they have for years and will continue to do so but, plenty of money for those smaller type projects as well if you are willing to do the work and the follow-up needed to get funded.
        Last edited by ktb9780; 04-11-2017, 09:08 AM.
        Kurt Bradley
        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

This is outstanding information. The money is out there for the taking. Thanks Kurt!

Comment

Address signs

Comment

No severe weather packages is debatable, got that in every trailer we've hit in the last 7 years. Overall trailers still a long shot, has to be nothing within 100 miles and lots of evidence that you're doing everything else FP&S related that's eligible in the program so the trailer is the last item possible to ask for. Or replacing a 15-20+ year old one that's used extensively now, if it only comes out for October then you don't need the one you have let alone a new one.

Preplanning is also eligible in AFG, odds are better over there. Going by stats that $35mil is more like $15-16mil at best for FDs, the national orgs and research entities will suck up at least half if not more. Smaller projects would be better in an insurance company's program or other state/local grant programs.
              Brian P. Vickers
              CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
              FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
              www.helpmewithgrants.com
              www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Tell me more about this "formal" risk assessment. We completed one ourselves a few years back to get some ISO credits and get a better feel for what our high impact areas needs addressed.

Also, when applying for a community risk assesment, would it be applicable to lump in some public education funding to educate the public on the areas found to be high risk?

Comment

Formal risk assessment is a "stand alone" type item. You only ask for it. You use the rsults fomr that risk assessment in following years to justify your projects.
                  Kurt Bradley

Comment

Deleted as it was a duplicate post
                    Kurt Bradley

Comment

Formal risk assessment is a "stand alone" type item, you ask for it alone this year, nothing else.You use the results from that risk assessment in following years to justify your projects.
                      Kurt Bradley

Comment

One of the major issues I have with trailers, is the number of used trailers I see come up on government auction sites. They appear to be a big item that departments get, hang onto for a few years, then sell.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X