AFG Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFG Funding

I heard a rumor that Trumps budget is calling to cut AFG funding. I have not been able find anything on this myself, just wondering if anyone has? Thanks

There have been many suggestions that Trump's budget will be closely modeled on the Heritage Foundation's Blueprint for Balance. That report from the Heritage Foundations specifically calls for the elimination of AFG, SAFER, and FP&S.

The 2017 AFG program has been authorized but not funded yet. Plus, the Fire Grants Reauthorization Act of 2012 has sunset provision as follows "the authority to award assistance and grants shall expire five years after the date of enactment." Therefore, if Congress doesn't reauthorize (and/or if the President doesn't sign the bill), there will definitely be no AFG, SAFER, and FP&S in 2018.
    Last edited by davepa; 02-21-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

RECOMMENDATION Eliminate the fire grant program administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). This proposal saves $612 million in FY 2017.

RATIONALE Fire grants encompass a number of programs. The Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) program subsidizes the routine activities of local fire departments and emergency management organizations. The Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) grants fund projects to improve the safety of firefighters and protect the public from fire and related hazards, while the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grants are intended to increase staffing levels by funding the salaries of career firefighters and paying for recruitment activities for volunteer fire departments.

The Heritage Foundation?s Center for Data Analysis evaluated the effectiveness of fire grants by matching fire grant award data to the National Fire Incident Reporting System, an incident-based database of fire-related emergencies reported by fire departments. Using panel data from 1999 to 2006 for more than 10,000 fire departments, the evaluation assessed the impact of fire grants on four different measures of fire casualties: (1) firefighter deaths, (2) firefighter injuries, (3) civilian deaths, and (4) civilian injuries. The evaluation compared fire departments that received grants to fire departments that did not receive grants. In addition, the evaluation compared the impact of the grants before and after grant-funded fire departments received federal assistance.

The evaluation showed that AFG, FP&S, and SAFER grants failed to reduce firefighter deaths, firefighter injuries, civilian deaths, and civilian injuries. Without receiving fire grants, comparison fire departments were just as successful at preventing fire casualties as grant-funded fire departments.

From Blueprint for Balance: A Federal Budget for 2017

So according to these yahoo's the FIRE Act grant has been a failure.

Comment

Notice they stopped at 2006, which with the 1 year delay in application to approval to awards being handled and equipment/vehicles placed into service, wasn't a really long-term study that was done. And of course in recent years, FF LODDs and injuries have gone down and there's a long list of incidents handled more effectively than before grant awards were given.

Also while 10,000 departments is a pretty sizeable data pool, it depends on which ones you pick since there's over 25,000 FDs. Report showed no breakdown of community classification or department type so random isn't really the way to go when picking datasets.

This is one of the few programs that has widespread bi-partisan support and helps all types of people, so I don't see it being an issue to get renewed.
        Brian P. Vickers
        CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
        FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
        www.helpmewithgrants.com
        www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Folks - in today's political climate, there's no such this as a sure bet. Don't be complacent. Reach out to your US Reps and Senators and make it known that re-authorization of the Fire Act is important!

Comment

In todays climate, one might really start wondering if "sanctuary state" or "sanctuary city" designation may come up and bite you on the arse. It would suck to be in line for a grant only to have that stopped due to that designation.

Of course, using grants is a big hammer they are holding to get cities/states to NOT go to the sanctuary city status, so it could be an argument to keep the grants around.

Yeah, I went there

Comment

Ain't no where the rest of us haven't been discussing in other arenas. IMHO stop giving freebies to illegals and harboring convicted criminals and you'd be surprised how much money gets freed up to do the right thing with. Was reading this morning about how many are suddenly going through the naturalization program which I applaud. After all that's what legal immigrants did, like my ancestors. Didn't get anything for free when they got here, learned the language, became citizens, paid their dues. That's all I expect of anyone. Come here for the opportunity to become something, we're not supposed to be giving it out for free. Insults those that follow the rules, that's why all the legal immigrants don't want the illegals here either since guess who is stealing the legal immigrants' jobs...
              Brian P. Vickers
              www.helpmewithgrants.com
              www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Yep really a shame that I can watch literally billions of dollars a year going to foreign aid to distribute condoms in the Sudan or to Rehab drug addicts in Kosovo prisons but we can't even take care of our own veterans or public safety needs. If they cut that "BS" out of the picture, we could have good solid grant programs.
                Kurt Bradley
                Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

1000% agree, if you really want to get fur rubbed the wrong way, go to grant.gov and sign up for the open grants and this will give you an idea on where our government grants and the different countries that are getting a whole lot of money. Jeff
                  If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

Just got a call from one of my clients, he said AFG just called him wanting a copy of MOUs for a regional SCBA. At least they are working up there. Jeff
                    If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

Did anymore information become available today on the DHS budget, specifically AFG funding suggested by the President?
                      BB

Comment

I was actually encouraged by what I heard the POTUS speak to. I truly believe we have a person in charge who has the public safety and security of the American people first in his heart. His words were encouraging and I believe that we will see an influx of money to better ourselves and continue to protect our cities and way of life.
                        Kurt Bradley

Comment

One of my clients got a request for copy of MOU on a $1M plus regional SCBA grant we did. Keeping those fingers crossed.
                          Kurt Bradley

Comment

Boy am I ready to start some active clicking! The suspense is killing even me!
                            Kurt Bradley

Comment

Has to be getting close, had another MOU request and a year end report needs to get done contact. Hoping next week, probably happen while everyone's on Spring Break.
                              Brian P. Vickers
                              www.helpmewithgrants.com
                              www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse