Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAFER Help

Hello everyone,

Looking into writing a SAFER grant for R & R. Volunteer department in rural area of North Carolina. Thinking of tuition reimbursement and stripened. Any help/guidance is appreciated. Any past awarded application would be amazing! First-time applicant on SAFER.

What ground work have you already done?

Comment

Originally posted by treycash View Post
      Hello everyone,

Looking into writing a SAFER grant for R & R. Volunteer department in rural area of North Carolina. Thinking of tuition reimbursement and stripened. Any help/guidance is appreciated. Any past awarded application would be amazing! First-time applicant on SAFER.
      We are a small rural volunteer department entering our final year of a 4 year R & R grant. We did a marketing, training tuition, and stipend grant and have seen our numbers grow by 30%. The key to these grants for us was doing your homework. You need to poll your membership and see what they want. You need to send out a questionnaire to your service area and ask what would make people want to join. You need to be able to give good reasons why you HAVE to have this money in order to survive. Most importantly, once you do recruit new members, you have to be able to train them to a level of which they can help, which means instituting a new recruit training program that is is both strict and a little time intensive. The program works but just throwing money around doesn't. These are just a few things we learned along the way.
      I hope this helps, my email is [email protected] if you have questions. Guys like Kurt, LVFD, and others do this stuff in thier sleep and really are worth the $$.

Comment

Now that I tried to pass on what little knowledge I have, i am in need of some myself.

As stated above we are entering the 4th year of our 4 year SAFER R&R grant. Our program has been nothing short of a miracle that has turned my department around. We averaged 5.5 members per call in 2013 and now we are at 11.7 per call. We are compliant with 2 in/ 2 out rule during most calls (daytime-weekday's are still sketchy).

My questions are as follows: What are my chances for continuing my program since I can prove without a doubt that it is successful? Do I have to go an entire year without an award since my period of performance will finish after the application period for next year will start? I would like to make minor adjustments to the scope of the grant (i.e. Lower tuition from 10k/yr to 5k/yr and add in 5k/yr of NFPA Physicals and new recruit gear), however, since our program works very well now, will that hurt my chances asking for a change? Finally, how many SAFER R&R's are audited. I have been very diligent in keeping track of finances, reports on time, amendments, receipts etc, however and audit still scares the crap out of me. We depend on grant money and I wouldn't ever want to put that in jeopardy. I just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row if its something I can expect. Thank you for all your help! -Dan

Comment

Dan, I just sent you an email.

Comment

Originally posted by treycash View Post
            Hello everyone,

The reason I asked about what ground work have you done, if you have done nothing to ascertain WHY you need assistance, WHY firefighters leave your department and WHAT will help to recruit them and retain them, you simply are not going to be able to get an effective application together this late in the game.

And simply point to pre-concieved notions as to the answers of above does not work. You have to put down HOW you know these things.

WVFDCapt322 put it really well with this "The key to these grants for us was doing your homework. You need to poll your membership and see what they want. You need to send out a questionnaire to your service area and ask what would make people want to join. You need to be able to give good reasons why you HAVE to have this money in order to survive. Most importantly, once you do recruit new members, you have to be able to train them to a level of which they can help, which means instituting a new recruit training program that is is both strict and a little time intensive. The program works but just throwing money around doesn't."

The guys reading your app really want to help, but they know that just tossing money is not helping.

Comment

Off topic.. but was anyone else taken back w/r/t the question on the 2001, 2002 and 2003 budget numbers?.?... wow.. talk about ancient history.
              I wonder what the reason is...

Comment

It had to do with rules that were always in place for SAFER but never checked.
                Kurt Bradley
                Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse