No announcement yet.

Regionals.....................Why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regionals.....................Why not?

When I submitted, the numbers were:
    FO-06057
    FV-02225
    FR-00476

We all know that the higher the cost/benefit ratio, the better. So why are there less than 1/4 the regional applications as vehicles? All it has to be is 2 departments to make a region. Why are we not seeing this more than what we are. When you look at ops grants, it is less than 10% of the applications. We have been successful with rescue tools, hose, and others that there would have been little chance of without the regional option. So I am legitimately curious as to why there are so few of these applications turned in.

Good question. Being relatively new to the grant writing scene, I don't have an answer for you. But I can say that I wrote my first regional grant this year (regional comms grant for portables/mobiles for our dept and 3 other depts) and it was kinda a PITA collecting the Applicant Characteristics I and II data from the other 3 depts, adding them to my dept data, and then typing it into the FEMA portal. Not difficult, but definitely a little time consuming. If we do another regional grant, we'll start a little earlier with the data collection part - lesson learned for us. So maybe others see this work to be too difficult and don?t bother with regional grants?

What I was wondering while I was typing in the call volume: Are regional grants given any more preference than a non-regional grant? Is a portion of the total AFG grant funding dedicated strictly to regionals?

Comment

Like Skojo says, it is a royal PITA getting all the other departments to get their info to you. The more the worse it gets. I do make sure that the memorandum they all sign defines the purchasing process also, very clearly.

Sort of like herding cats.

Comment

I have done regionals for the last 3 years. Of the 4 written, 3 were funded. While there is work involved, it seems like the odds are worth the extra effort.

Comment

Good to know HuntPA. While it did take extra effort to write our regional written, we are already talking with our neighboring districts about a regional for next year. Nothing like pre-planning I suppose... Happy Holidays everyone.

Comment

My only shot at a regional grant was denied. It was a 5 department handheld/truck mounted radio grant. If anyone has been successful on this, I could really use a look at your narrative if possible. Any help.wpuld be greatly appreciated!

Comment

I can tell you that the radios are looked at closer and closer each year. Is it truly an interop situation or just lets get new radios on all the rigs. Tech review gets more intensive. Does it look like you are shopping or just going with the fancy stuff. At least that is what I am seeing.

Comment

Ya know, I just thought of another point of perhaps why there aren't many regional proposals, and it was based on a misperception I had. Until recently, I had always assumed that each department listed on the regional application needed to be registered with Dun & Bradstreet (DnB) and have a (DUNS) number AND also needed to have an ?ACTIVE? System for Award Management (SAM) account. When I called the Grant Programs Directorate Office and asked this question, I was told that only the Host applicant for the regional proposal needed a DnB and SAM account. It had something to do with funding requirements. Blew my mind as I had thought everyone needed DnB and SAM accounts! I went back into our regional application and saw that it didn't ask for our partners DnB or SAM info.

Now, if someone knows something else, I'd like to know.

Not that I'm saying fire depts shouldn't register with DnB or SAM, but it was a PITA and took longer than I thought to register with with DnB and SAM. I would bet that having to register with DnB and SAM might reduce the number of regional proposals.

Comment

This is the statement from the NOFO 2016 "All participants of a Regional applicant must be compliant with AFG requirements, including being current with past grants, closeouts, and other reporting requirements. Upon notification by the AFG Program Office, the host agency shall not distribute grant funded assets or provide grant-funded contractual services to non-compliant partner organizations. The host and the delinquent partners will be notified by the AFG Program Office of their specific deficiency.
                  If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

Jeff's NOFO post above refers only to the requirements related to a grant recipient directly, so everyone has to have their closeouts and stuff done. Anyone with a prior award would have DUNS handled, probably SAM, but it is true only the host needs to have it at submission time or award time. We highly recommend everyone get into SAM regardless, much easier to do when outside a grant period in case there are issues.
                    Brian P. Vickers
                    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                    www.helpmewithgrants.com
                    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by Skojo View Post
                      Ya know, I just thought of another point of perhaps why there aren't many regional proposals, and it was based on a misperception I had.
                      I think your misconception is a bit inaccurate. There has actually been an increase in Regional applications nearly every year.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                      Regional vehicles are a big challenge too. Getting one designed, ordered, stored, maintained, and put on the road for calls has a lot of logistical issues that people may struggle to agree on.
                      I'd consider it almost a futile opportunity to begin with. I believe there were only two Regional vehicle awards in FY15 (and only eight total since they allowed them).

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                        Jeff's NOFO post above refers only to the requirements related to a grant recipient directly, so everyone has to have their closeouts and stuff done. Anyone with a prior award would have DUNS handled, probably SAM, but it is true only the host needs to have it at submission time or award time. We highly recommend everyone get into SAM regardless, much easier to do when outside a grant period in case there are issues.
                        Good to know Brian, and thanks for the clarification.

Originally posted by SLY4420 View Post

I think your misconception is a bit inaccurate. There has actually been an increase in Regional applications nearly every year.
                        Also good to know that more depts are submitting regionals ? thanks Sly. My misconception was that each dept participating in a regional had to register in SAM and Dun & Bradstreet. I can see how registering for either might present a hurdle to depts applying for a FEMA grant (regional or not). If you're writing a regional for 5+ depts and have to wait for each dept to get registered, I think that would cut down on participation.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X