Definition of Brush/Quick attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of Brush/Quick attack

Needing some guidance - I have 3 4x4 pickups that all have 250 gallon tanks with 250 gpm pumps.

The definition of the FEMA website is pumping capacity of less than 750 gpm and water carrying capacity of at least 300 gallons.

I have always listed the 3 as brush trucks since that's what we use them for but am I wrong in doing so?

Should they be listed as additional vehicles?

FEMA Definitions ?

Our department replaced three vehicles with FEMA grants. in one application we classified a locally built one-ton brush truck with 160 gallons as "Other". In another application, we classified two Junior Pumper/Brush Trucks as "Brush/Quick Attack" even though they only held 260 gallons; because they were originally built to NFPA 30 years ago. You may want to call the FEMA AFG Hotline for a clarification.

My personal opinion is that a pickup truck with a skid unit should be considered "Other" as it most likely never complied with NFPA 1901 or 1906.

Comment

Those have been defined as Patrol Units in AFG's well hidden vehicle category definitions, so they're under the brush truck heading.
      Brian P. Vickers
      CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
      FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
      www.helpmewithgrants.com
      www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Not doubting you but where did you find the definitions? I have spent several hours searching to no avail.

Appreciate the help!

Comment

Brush/Quick attack (pumping capacity of less than 750 gpm and water carrying capacity of at least 300 gallons):
          Brush Truck, Patrol Unit (Pickup w/ Skid Unit), Quick Attack Unit, Mini-Pumper, Type III Engine, Type IV Engine, Type V Engine, Type VI Engine, Type VII Engine
          If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

Link to Definition of Brush Truck/Quick Attack

I would appreciate a link to the definition above, as sighted in an AFG document.

Comment

It's right on page 6 of the application (Application Characteristics II).

Comment

I copy and pasted it above if that's what he is looking for. Jeff
                If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

Conflicting definiton

Brush/Quick attack (pumping capacity of less than 750 gpm and water carrying capacity of at least 300 gallons):
                  Brush Truck, Patrol Unit (Pickup w/ Skid Unit), Quick Attack Unit, Mini-Pumper, Type III Engine, Type IV Engine, Type V Engine, Type VI Engine, Type VII Engine

This definition seems to be a little conflicting:

First they state the pump must be less than 750 gpm and must carry 300 gallons of water.

But then it list Type 6 and Type 7 engines - at Type 7 only has to carry 50 gallons of water.

I guess if you built a truck that carried 500 gallons of water but only had a 25 gpm pump UHP pump, you would technically have a Type 7 engine based on the pump size.

So in my case, a 1 ton truck with a 250 gallon skid and a 250 gpm pump would classify as a Type 6 engine but doesn't meet the 300 gallons stated in the definition above.

Similar to the other thread - on Tanker/Tenders
                  I have a tanker that carries 2500 gallons of water and has a 1250 gpm pump - by definition it's a engine because it's pump capacity is greater than 750 gpm.

I have a 2000 gallon tanker with a 250 gpm pump - by definition it's a tanker because it's pump is less than 750 gpm.

Comment

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised there's conflicting information in a government system...

It's called a lack of proofreading coupled with ambiguous NFPA definitions for what apparatus is. The 300gal tank shouldn't even be mentioned in there since they're expecting the other types to be listed. And the 750gpm isn't accurate either since a Type 2 only needs 500gpm and that's under the Pumper category with Type 1.

Pickups with skid units being specifically mentioned makes this the category for all of those vehicles regardless of tank size.
                    Brian P. Vickers
                    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                    www.helpmewithgrants.com
                    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse