Taxes vs. Fee for Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes vs. Fee for Service

Have a department that charges a $35.00 yearly fee that is placed on the property owners property tax bill. The owner of the property does have the opportunity to opt out and not pay this fee. This accounts for 90% of our budget. Should this be listed under Taxes or Fees for service?

Taxes- its basically a fire fee collected through property tax billing just like school and garbage fees are collected; as you said they cannot opt out so its a tax. It all counts into the property tax bill which you don't collect, the city or county collects it and then distributed the money to you.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

I think what he saying is that the owner has the option to opt out. Jeff
      If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
        Taxes- its basically a fire fee collected through property tax billing just like school and garbage fees are collected; as you said they cannot opt out so its a tax. It all counts into the property tax bill which you don't collect, the city or county collects it and then distributed the money to you.
        The property owner CAN opt out. There is a 45 day window that they can opt out and not have the dues on the property tax bill.

Comment

Originally posted by madfirelieutenant View Post
          The property owner CAN opt out. There is a 45 day window that they can opt out and not have the dues on the property tax bill.
          Oops my bad, that's what I get for reading before 2nd pot of coffee. In that case I might just call it a fee for service then.
          Kurt Bradley
          Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
          " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

That's one of the signs of getting old. lol
            Jeff
            If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X