Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Turn out AFG grant question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn out AFG grant question.

I am working with a small rural fire department in Scott Co. Ark. They have a huge problem. Arkansas Fire Academy last week cam down with a new policy that all firefighters attending the fire Academy have to follow NFPA and only have turnouts less the 10 yrs old. Problem.... All their turnouts are 20plus years old.
    Becuase of low budget (less then $12,000) per year that can't afford the 5% match to replace turnouts for all firefighters.
    Question---- would AFG approve and fund to ask for new turnout pants and coats but not helmets, gloves,hood, and boots? The extra cost would be hard to fund by the department. Plus most of there hoods, gloves and boots are newer as they have been slowly replacing these items becuase of there low cost per item. So basically they just need new coats and pants to meet NFPA. Would this at least be considered or would it be a non starter from the start?
    Last edited by volfireman034; 08-16-2015, 09:18 PM.

volfireman034 exactly how many active FFs do you all have?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Do they not think they can have a fundraiser to raise the 5% match? Anything opportunity they have at match like that, they should be asking for everything they can get. I've found that fundraisers for our department generally work a lot better if we have something we are raising money for, where people can see what their money is going for.

A 5% cost share is only $5K for every $100K spent, or stated another way, every dollar the department spends will purchase 20x what it would without the cost share. $100K will outfit a department with a lot of turnouts and some SCBA to boot. I'm guessing with the budget and the lack of new turnouts that the SCBA is also in need of updating?

Comment

We only have ten active and another five auxiliary. We have one firefighter that was supposed to go to the fire Academy this week but can't go now till we get turnouts that are less then 10yrs old. And no other department in the county has any we can borrow. So all FFI certifications are on hold till we can grant.
        Last edited by volfireman034; 08-17-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I know its hard for many fire departments around the country to understand and poor's this area is. Yes we have fund raisers we have a hunted house in October. But that will only maybe raise $400-500. That money usually help pay the fuel bill through the end of the year. We receive no tax money, no financial help at all from the county. We're are not a town so no business. All we have is "fire dues" from home owners that pay $35.00 per year but only about 30% percent pay. We have a large portion of our community that are disabled or below poverty line. That's normal for this area. We run two stations, 120-140 calls per year. 50 sq miles. We have a 76' Mack pumper on its last leg, 80' Chevy pickup brush truck, and a 70' military dues brush truck. Our 2nd station does even have a bathroom. We have a great group of firefighters that work hard and spend personal money to help out at times.

Comment

Originally posted by volfireman034 View Post
            I know its hard for many fire departments around the country to understand and poor's this area is. Yes we have fund raisers we have a hunted house in October. But that will only maybe raise $400-500. That money usually help pay the fuel bill through the end of the year. We receive no tax money, no financial help at all from the county. We're are not a town so no business. All we have is "fire dues" from home owners that pay $35.00 per year but only about 30% percent pay. We have a large portion of our community that are disabled or below poverty line. That's normal for this area. We run two stations, 120-140 calls per year. 50 sq miles. We have a 76' Mack pumper on its last leg, 80' Chevy pickup brush truck, and a 70' military dues brush truck. Our 2nd station does even have a bathroom. We have a great group of firefighters that work hard and spend personal money to help out at times.
            You are not alone here in what you are describing. It effects many VFDs across the country. Your matching funds for 15 sets of STOs at $2500 per set would only be $1875. Just 3 fundraisers at $600 each over next 12 months would give you guys enough to make your match as if you started now you will conceivably have almost 24 months in which to pay your matching funds. It sounds to me like you need to be more creative in the fundraising that you are doing. My goodness, you are also in the home state of Wal-Mart and any number of other community foundations ( if you are a non-profit 501c3 VFD) that might be available to assist with your matching funds here. Listen, I'll be glad to speak with you, at no charge, about possibly doing some "better" fundraisers or how to go about getting enough money to do your matching funds if you want to give me a call. I have helped quite few departments around in your area of Fort Smith. Call me at 863-551-9598 and I'll be glad to discuss this further with you.
            Kurt Bradley

Comment

how about your 833 money ?
              ?

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
                You are not alone here in what you are describing. It effects many VFDs across the country. Your matching funds for 15 sets of STOs at $2500 per set would only be $1875. Just 3 fundraisers at $600 each over next 12 months would give you guys enough to make your match as if you started now you will conceivably have almost 24 months in which to pay your matching funds. It sounds to me like you need to be more creative in the fundraising that you are doing. My goodness, you are also in the home state of Wal-Mart and any number of other community foundations ( if you are a non-profit 501c3 VFD) that might be available to assist with your matching funds here. Listen, I'll be glad to speak with you, at no charge, about possibly doing some "better" fundraisers or how to go about getting enough money to do your matching funds if you want to give me a call. I have helped quite few departments around in your area of Fort Smith. Call me at 863-551-9598 and I'll be glad to discuss this further with you.
                agreed -- you will never grow and prosper with a defeatist attitude.
                ?

Comment

We only have ten active and another five auxiliary. We have one firefighter that was supposed to go to the fire Academy this week but can't go now till we get turnouts that are less then 10yrs old. And no other department in the county has any we can borrow. So all FFI certifications are on hold till we can grant.

I'm going through the same process. We have 16 firefighters, and the county provides us about $6000 per year in an annual budget. We serve a town of around 250 people. The county has 1600 people. Our call area is 921 square miles. We have a lower household income than the poorest towns of most other states. Lots of elderly people, and lots living on very fixed incomes. We are always in need of turnouts, SCBA, and pretty much everything else, including firefighters. That's not unique to us, you, or most other volunteer fire departments. I send in an AFG grant every year. Also have apps out for all the state grants, and keep apps out for all the state grants. Then the local grants. There is a community foundation in a larger city about 90 miles away that is always good about trying to give us something. They love doing cost shares on AFG awards, or grants for around $5K per year. That alone nearly doubles our budget.

We used to do a 4th of July brisket BBQ. It was a lot of work, and we might clear $600 to $800. We would have all been better offer working somewhere for the weekend at minimum wage and then donating that to the department. We've experimented with all kinds of things. The best we've found is direct mail. We come up with a priority list of what we need, get the tax rolls for our area, and send out mailers detailing what we need and what it costs to everyone that owns property in our area. We don't do this every year, as it seems to be the most cost effective about every three years. The last time we did this, we brought in right at $30,000. Another great idea was a gun raffle. We got a good price on a custom rifle from a local gunsmith. He made us a good deal. It was much nicer than the average shooter could probably swing for. We sold tickets for $5 each, or 5 for $20. We cleared a little over $10,000, and local merchants sold most of the tickets for us in their businesses. And when I say local, I mean neighboring towns. A lot of our ticket sales were to people that were not local in business that were not in our primary call area. So don't look just in your primary call area. Look to areas where you perform mutual aid.

Another thing to consider, if you are going to do "fire dues", then if only 30% pay, only 30% are protected. If you make everyone pay for service, you triple your budget. No pay, no service. Otherwise, 30% of your population is getting less fire protection than they are paying for, and 70% are free riders getting far more.

It isn't a grant, but something else I've found that has gotten me by in a pinch. Look at the grant awards list, and see who is getting what. If you see a neighboring department getting an award, see what they are awarded. Chances are it is to replace something. And sometimes, that something they are replacing is a lot nicer than what you may possess currently. There are a few lucky departments out there, paid or volunteer, that serve areas where they are relatively well-funded. They may have a much better replacement schedule than yours. Be at the right place and the right time, and some good used gear might come your way.

Have you requested anything through the FFP program lately? That's something that has had a lot of equipment go through it in the last couple of years. You should be able to get something much newer, low mileage, automatic transmission, and power steering.

Don't let what you have currently be your vision for the department. Picture what you want the department to be, and then work to get it there. You'll never get there, but the key is progress. If you aren't upgrading, your equipment is getting older and your capabilities are declining.

Comment

I think the guy abandoned the thread. Hello, are you there guy?
                    Kurt Bradley

Comment

No I'm here sorry I been busy with work and family. I appreciate all the input. I'm certainly not a defeatist was just explaining out situation. I'm sure there are many fire departments in the same boat in rural areas. Their $12,000 budget includes Act 833 money, dues money, and the three fund raisers they have per year. They have three main priorities as far as updating. New turnouts, new SCBA's, A fire truck for there 2nd station. ( At present it only has a military dues brush truck) and a tanker. Were just trying to brain storm ideas. We have several grants in mind and were trying to ask for the best equipment that fits each grant. When would be a good time to contact you ktb9780? Thank you to the others for all your ideas.

Comment

You should be able to call kurt anytime. 863-551-9598
                        If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

OK well I just got done with a nice long chat with the guy form Arkansas and I am pretty sure he walked away with several key ideas on how to get his match money together so they can apply. Hopefully they have some success there and we can get them taken care of on the upcoming AFG.
                          Kurt Bradley

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse