Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

AFG Statistics as of Round 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFG Statistics as of Round 7

Congrats to all of the winners this week.

Appropriation for 2014:

Total: $304,503,764
    OPS: $219,242,710
    VEH: $76,125,941
    FA: $9,135,113

Awards Round 7:

OPS: 29 awards......$1,756,001
    VEH: 1 awards……$276,191
    FA: 1 awards……...$265,243

Total Awards To Date:

642 awards: $78,481,954

Breakdown:

OPS: 600 awards......$65,291,272
    VEH: 19 awards.......$6,884,159
    FA: 23 awards……..$6,306,523

Funds Remaining:

OPS: $153,951,438 (70%)
    VEH: $69,241,782 (91%)
    FA: $2,828,590 (31%)

Average Award:

OPS: $108,819
    VEH: $362,324
    FA: $274,197

Estimated Awards Remaining:

OPS: 1415
    VEH: 191
    FA: 10

Average Awards/Round:

Estimated Rounds Remaining:

Disappointed

So I was looking over the awards list today and again noticed that there are no awards to any South Dakota fire departments as of yet. We must be sitting pretty good on ppe, equipment, vehicles, and training as a whole since we are nearing 700 awards. That or the other option is that we cannot write a grant to save our own lives...literally. I understand the number of departments in many of the states out number our total departments and we have fewer per capita, but this is really starting to disturb me. Sorry for ranting, now I'm getting down from my soap box. Here is a list of where each state stands as of round 7.

AK = 3 AL = 45 AR = 4 AZ = 7
    CA = 23 CO = 4 CT = 3 DE = 3
    FL = 13 GA = 15 HI = 1 IA = 16
    ID = 3 IL = 25 IN = 11 KS = 7
    KY = 14 LA = 4 MA = 25 MD = 4
    ME = 7 MI = 17 MN = 15 MO = 11
    MS = 15 MT = 1 NC = 31 ND = 1
    NE = 1 NH = 4 NJ = 18 NY = 49
    OH = 36 OK = 9 OR = 10 PA = 86
    PR = 1 RI = 4 SC = 12 TN = 22
    TX = 9 UT = 4 VA = 7 VT = 1
    WA = 20 WI = 15 WV = 9 WY = 1

Only 3 states with no awards yet: South Dakota, Nevada, & New Mexico

Comment

I think the question would be:: how many S.D. departments submitted applications in order to determine why no awards yet.
      Also how many depts are there in the state that could potentially apply?

Comment

Originally posted by MIDWESTCHIEF View Post
        So I was looking over the awards list today and again noticed that there are no awards to any South Dakota fire departments as of yet. We must be sitting pretty good on ppe, equipment, vehicles, and training as a whole since we are nearing 700 awards. That or the other option is that we cannot write a grant to save our own lives...literally. I understand the number of departments in many of the states out number our total departments and we have fewer per capita, but this is really starting to disturb me. Sorry for ranting, now I'm getting down from my soap box. Here is a list of where each state stands as of round 7.

AK = 3 AL = 45 AR = 4 AZ = 7
        CA = 23 CO = 4 CT = 3 DE = 3
        FL = 13 GA = 15 HI = 1 IA = 16
        ID = 3 IL = 25 IN = 11 KS = 7
        KY = 14 LA = 4 MA = 25 MD = 4
        ME = 7 MI = 17 MN = 15 MO = 11
        MS = 15 MT = 1 NC = 31 ND = 1
        NE = 1 NH = 4 NJ = 18 NY = 49
        OH = 36 OK = 9 OR = 10 PA = 86
        PR = 1 RI = 4 SC = 12 TN = 22
        TX = 9 UT = 4 VA = 7 VT = 1
        WA = 20 WI = 15 WV = 9 WY = 1

Only 3 states with no awards yet: South Dakota, Nevada, & New Mexico
        Speaking of training, if you ever want to bring me up there, just give me a shout. I'm not afraid of South Dakota or your winters. I have been to Minot, ND back a few years ago but, don't remember seeing any SD departments in there.Bring me up during pheasant season!
        Kurt Bradley
        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
          I think the question would be:: how many S.D. departments submitted applications in order to determine why no awards yet.
          Also how many depts are there in the state that could potentially apply?
          Not sure how many have applied this year but there are approx. 340 departments, of which only 5 are career. I know this has a lot to do with it, and I did think about the question of how many applied; but not until after I hit send the other day. Thanks for touching on that.

Comment

Kurt,
            Minot is too far north for most of us SD departments to travel too, we tend to stay where it gets above 0 at least once a week during the winter. lol I had Brian down to give a class a few years back and since then I know I have had a little luck with some of the writing that I have done for my dept and a few others; plus a few of the attendees went on to be awarded trucks that same year. I will look into possibly taking you up on your offer during pheasant season. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a refresher and hear some of the ideas that you have compared to what Brian has.
            Thanks,
            Mike

Comment

Midwest maybe you need to ask that question at a State Fire Chiefs Association meeting and discover the reason. I would not be surprised to find out that a lot of the volunteer departments are not knowledgeable regarding the existence of the grant programs and or think that grants are only for the "big boys" and nobody is going to award a small rural South Dakota farming community FD a grant". Just food for thought but, I would be willing to bet that both points I make are valid in your state.
              Kurt Bradley

Comment

We've written for numerous SD departments over the last 3 years, most of which were applying for the first time. On average for as long as I can remember we've done anywhere from 15-30 applications each year for departments that were applying for the first time.

I hadn't seen AFG post the stats recently but they used to run the numbers and show how many apps per state were submitted. Many like AZ, NM, SD, ND were all few and far between on applications. NV was too for a while, the one year between 2 awards we did 95% of the funding that went to NV. It's a simple reason we've all said here numerous times, if you don't ask at all you don't get anything, and if you don't ask competitively you tend not to come out on top.
                Brian P. Vickers
                CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                www.helpmewithgrants.com
                www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll have to ask that question and see what kind of response I get. Unfortunately, it probably won't be the response I would like to hear. We can only preach so much about if you don't apply, you are a guaranteed not to get funded.

thanks again

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll have to ask that question and see what kind of response I get. Unfortunately, it probably won't be the response I would like to hear. We can only preach so much about if you don't apply, you are a guaranteed not to get funded.

thanks again
                    I checked with program office for you midwest chief and there was only 85 applications turned in for SD this year.
                    Kurt Bradley

Comment

Not sure how many have applied this year but there are approx. 340 departments, of which only 5 are career. I know this has a lot to do with it, and I did think about the question of how many applied; but not until after I hit send the other day. Thanks for touching on that.
                      If you have 340 depts and only have 85 total applications turned in this year , that makes for a lot of folks who are not trying for federal funding programs.
                      Figure out of the 85 apps received possibly a third of them were depts that submitted both ops & veh apps and that lowers the numbers even more of depts taking advantage of the program.
                      It's time to get with your fellow chiefs and educate all departments statewide of the possibilities of grant funding helping them modernize their equipment & apparatus.
                      I've worked with many small rural Depts that never figured they could not get a grant due to size of population or low call volumes, but after talking with them and finding out what they needed , you can usually target at least one item that is high priority and fairly easy to write an app for.
                      had one this year ,a first timer who had tried several times in the past without success. They sent me their app , & after a little tweaking of the narratives were successful for air packs to replace their twenty five year old snorkel units.
                      I applied what Kurt taught me years ago to make ordered sense of their narratives and answer the questions that reviewers were going to ask while reading their app.

Money well spent with both Kurt & Brian's classes.

Don't limit your apps to AFG only either. There are many large corporations that have programs to fund activities like fire depts through their charitable trust depts. Someone like ADM or the oil companies doing business up there are probably a good bet for targeted funding requests. it never hurts to spend a little shoe leather or phone call time to find out. I got AED's, cold water rescue gear, a toughbook computer and thermal imaging cameras funded for our department through smaller trusts.
                      Kurt teaches how to look for and find these obscure sources of funding.
                      Thinking outside the box

The upside to this is it increases your odds of getting an award. :-}

Comment

Thanks IslandFire, I would have never guessed the total apps were that low. I would have thought maybe 1/2. I'll definitely have to see if/what I can do to help increase odds of our state getting some additional funding. I guess I should be fairly happy though, I have a dept that is using PPE that has a newest set (1) of approx. 15yrs old, rest are probably creeping up on near 25. Most of them are older than the guys on the department. With the stuff I learned from sitting in Brian's class a few years back, hopefully they will be getting their notice any week now.

Thanks for helping me keep my head on straight, it tends to wander when waiting for 1199s and awards to drop.

Comment

We've all been there.
                          Thats what makes this a great place to throw ideas out for others to share their knowledge based on prior experiences.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X