Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the odds?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • whats the odds?

    hello we are a small dept in northern california. We recieved a grant for a type one in 2006, a grant for a type three in 2009. we currently have a water tender that is 19 years old and is in real bad shape. our town has no water system and relies on water tenders.
    what would be the odds of getting a 3rd grant to replace the water tender
    these are the only pieces of equiptment we have. is it possible? or just super difficult due to the age of our other fleet?
    we run about 150 calls and serve about 5000 people through primary area and auto/mutual aid. we have the only water tender in 3 of our sourunding districts.

  • #2
    Originally posted by joshp707 View Post
    hello we are a small dept in northern california. We recieved a grant for a type one in 2006, a grant for a type three in 2009. we currently have a water tender that is 19 years old and is in real bad shape. our town has no water system and relies on water tenders.
    what would be the odds of getting a 3rd grant to replace the water tender
    these are the only pieces of equiptment we have. is it possible? or just super difficult due to the age of our other fleet?
    we run about 150 calls and serve about 5000 people through primary area and auto/mutual aid. we have the only water tender in 3 of our sourunding districts.
    Your assessment of the project is correct. To replace the tender (tanker) will be a long shot as the average age of the fleet is 9 years and the tender is less than 25 years old (age that AFG is looking at for replacement). Along with a small call volume and population it will be tough.

    Since this has been identified as a need go for it. If you don't apply you definately will not get it replaced. With an increase in AFG funding for 2011 and as others get their vehicles replaced leaves the door open for others to get funded.

    The key is to get past the computer to PR which you have been able to do in the past. If the department has the financial resources to reduce the up front $ request the better the cost-benefit looks increasing the chances of moving to PR.

    Comment


    • #3
      PLAY THE LOTTERY !

      Obviously you had a need in order to get funded for two trucks,
      It's time to step away from the government teat.

      There are many folks applying to replace their 25-35 year old front line trucks & not getting funded.

      Comment


      • #4
        What is "really bad shape" Chassis or tank?

        To replace the tank with new poly is around $7/gal.

        If chassis, DOD surplus has a steady flow decent civlian chassis coming thru Barstow DRMS. Typical right now would be 1990-95 6x6 IH or Frtliner diesel Allison with less than 15000mi. Some 4x4 dump for Forestry/wildland or light tanker. A creative guy certainly can make that work to solve his tanker problem. I've helped several FD in Iowa that found it very worthwhile to bring such chassis clear back to Iowa for tanker construction. You're with easy distance. 10yr from now if finances allow buy a new chassis for your body.

        DOD does have surplus RR equipment from time to time. Not sure about any tenders most/all locomotives diesel.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ne,

          How do you access these online?

          Comment


          • #6
            do we know when 2011 afg will open and how much money is out there?

            Comment


            • #7
              Last word was late may up to mid june. Amount= 408 million
              If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CCCFire09 View Post
                Ne,

                How do you access these online?
                For GSA
                http://gsaxcess.gov/
                You need to get logon from your state surplus office

                For DOD
                https://www.drms.dla.mil/asset/govealpa.html
                not particularily user friendly but LOTS of good kit.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by joshp707 View Post
                  do we know when 2011 afg will open and how much money is out there?
                  Looking like June 13th for the start of the application period, if and that's a big if, the PG is approved.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    thats for the info.. whats the key points to hit on for a tender narrative?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by joshp707 View Post
                      thats for the info.. whats the key points to hit on for a tender narrative?
                      Some things for the existing vehicle:

                      1) Is the tender an actual piece of fire apparatus or a converted vehicle?

                      2) Is it an open cab?

                      3) Does it have seat belts?

                      4) Is the tank baffled?

                      5) What mechanical problems plague the tender?

                      6) How much per year is it (repairs) costing to keep on the road?

                      7) What other safety issues plague the tender?

                      8) Any structural deficiencies?

                      9) Is the tender overwieght based on the GVWR?

                      10) Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

                      11) How much water does the tender carry?

                      12) Is it compliant to NFPA 1901?

                      Just to list a few.

                      Comment

                      300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                      Collapse

                      Upper 300x250

                      Collapse

                      Taboola

                      Collapse

                      Leader

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X