Regional MDT narrative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regional MDT narrative

I'm working on my first regional grant. I'm looking for a narrative for a regional MDT grant.

If you have one and would like to help me out, please send it to [email protected]

Thanks

Originally posted by volff1170 View Post
    I'm working on my first regional grant. I'm looking for a narrative for a regional MDT grant.

If you have one and would like to help me out, please send it to [email protected]

Thanks
    Would someone enlighten me on what a regional MDT grant is. I am just an old country boy with a simple mind and no one has responded to this post because they probably don’t know what it is ether or I must be the only one dumb enough to ask.

Comment

MDT = Mobile Data Terminals. Talk to each other via computers in the rigs. Download maps, preplans, etc.

Comment

Otherwise known as "interoperable communications to increase situational awareness and coordinated response in support of NIMS and firefighter safety".
        Kurt Bradley
        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
          Otherwise known as "interoperable communications to increase situational awareness and coordinated response in support of NIMS and firefighter safety".
          BUZZWORD phrase noted :-}

I used that same wording in several communications grants.

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post

Great minds think alike!
            Kurt Bradley

Comment

Great minds think alike!
              And you thought we were sleeping during your class. :-}

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post

Got it now!! Thanks. I told you I was simple minded.
                Has anyone heard that AFG will be allowing construction of towers and data links on the 2011 communication grants? Not that I intend to apply again. Got awarded comm. grant two years in a row so not going to press my luck for another one. Some of the other departments close to me could ask and it would benefit all of us.
                Yea Ed I caught phrase too and made a note of it. Kurt is going to give up some of his secrets if you listen closely.

Comment

Originally posted by dfd701 View Post
                  Got it now!! Thanks. I told you I was simple minded.
                  Has anyone heard that AFG will be allowing construction of towers and data links on the 2011 communication grants? Not that I intend to apply again. Got awarded comm. grant two years in a row so not going to press my luck for another one. Some of the other departments close to me could ask and it would benefit all of us.
                  Yea Ed I caught phrase too and made a note of it. Kurt is going to give up some of his secrets if you listen closely.
                  No reason to believe that the "no-go" issue of building towers is going to change. Still has too close a relationship to having to acquire "real estate" for it to be erected upon, so don't see that changing at all.
                  Kurt Bradley

Comment

Something to keep in mind is the data/phone cards that make the MDT's work. This is why we don't go after them as we cannot afford the monthly charges. $60 per unit i think.

Comment

Originally posted by waterboy1 View Post
                      Something to keep in mind is the data/phone cards that make the MDT's work. This is why we don't go after them as we cannot afford the monthly charges. $60 per unit i think.
                      Excellent point waterboy1; this is the part about "sustainability" that many forget to talk about and then their grant goes bye-bye at peer.
                      Kurt Bradley

Comment

"Z-Z-Z-Z-Z" ! "Is class over already?"

Comment

Originally posted by waterboy1 View Post
                          Beer budget solution would plug the MDT into a cell phone when you need internet in route. Thought I'm too cheap, 1/2 the guys on scene seem to be carrying a cell phone with G3 service (pulling up weather radar).

A router/wireless modem on a "command" vehicle on scene would typically allow all MDTs to communicate as needed thru one G3/G4 card (or cell phone).

The internet access is not a critical function for all MDT. At least on the project I'm working on. Main use I see is to store Pictometry data and overlays (LOTS of HD space). In particular bridge/culvert overlays for out of district mutual aid tanker calls. With 55000lb and 62000lb tankers I want to be sure of location of limited bridges/culvert when operating in unfamiliar territory.

Also store hazmat files and preplans. Neither require internet service. Access to realtime weather from command during hazmat would be great application.

Comment

Originally posted by neiowa View Post
                            Beer budget solution would plug the MDT into a cell phone when you need internet in route. Thought I'm too cheap, 1/2 the guys on scene seem to be carrying a cell phone with G3 service (pulling up weather radar).

A router/wireless modem on a "command" vehicle on scene would typically allow all MDTs to communicate as needed thru one G3/G4 card (or cell phone).

The internet access is not a critical function for all MDT. At least on the project I'm working on. Main use I see is to store Pictometry data and overlays (LOTS of HD space). In particular bridge/culvert overlays for out of district mutual aid tanker calls. With 55000lb and 62000lb tankers I want to be sure of location of limited bridges/culvert when operating in unfamiliar territory.

Also store hazmat files and preplans. Neither require internet service. Access to realtime weather from command during hazmat would be great application.
                            Neiowa there are some great situational awareness software solutions out there using this "cloud" computing that would not require the HD space on the laptop.
                            Kurt Bradley

Comment

Neiowa there are some great situational awareness software solutions out there using this "cloud" computing that would not require the HD space on the laptop.
                              Got brandnames? I'm still working thru "whats possible" as writing an RFP.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X