Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm/fire sirens as AFG

Anyone have the info on siren for AFG?

1st priority replace existing siren contoller with NB. On some cheap units this is only a new radio/page receiver.

2nd priority replace controller for electronic siren with DC battery operated with NB page

3rd if possible add NB page receive to mechanical sirens otherwise replace entire siren.

What's possible? - generally commo project. Likely regional I think.

Seems to me that some of the folks down in Indiana , illinois, missouri & Kansas tried this as an AFG and got turned down. I remember a discussion about how to possibly word the app to make it fly.

Comment

Right found one thread.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...warning+sirens

Info I have from the our regional COG is that no grant source for sirens.

I'm wondering if can slide NB controllers in thru AFG. Commo seems to be getting extra look due the the NB mandate. At least fix part of the problem. But perhaps no "direct" benefit to FD.

Comment

Sirens are a definite "no go" on AFG as per PG:

Items NOT eligible for funding under Firefighter Equipment Acquisition include the following:

Construction of facilities, such as buildings, sheds to house communications, towers, or other equipment; Repeaters that will not be installed or attached to existing infrastructure; Sirens or other outdoor warning devices;

In the past I have had to go to USDA Rural Facilities grant program or the NOAA grant for these.
        Kurt Bradley
        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

You might look at funding thru your state OEM mitigation programs. Some states will let you do storm sirens as part of a mitigation project. Alas Tenn is not one of them.

Comment

Our town got a complete unit through USDA rural development last year. The job got finished last fall and had its maiden run this past Saturday eve. as tornadoes were spotted all around here in north west Iowa. Right now we have a request in for a 2,000 gal tender, and the budget arguments are keeping them from doing anything right now. However I am sure that will get ironed out at some point when all the politico's get through fighting each other, then they will have $$$$ to spend. Also USDA seems very flexible, the final siren job did not use all the funds allocated as per the bid. The rep here said that was safety equipment and if we could use bunker clothes or like item they would let use the remaining funds for the purchase of that. The same rules had to be followed, our community qualified for 35% USDA money and 65% our money, but its better than 100% our money.

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
              Sirens are a definite "no go" on AFG as per PG:

Items NOT eligible for funding under Firefighter Equipment Acquisition include the following:

Construction of facilities, such as buildings, sheds to house communications, towers, or other equipment; Repeaters that will not be installed or attached to existing infrastructure; Sirens or other outdoor warning devices;

In the past I have had to go to USDA Rural Facilities grant program or the NOAA grant for these.
              Thanks Kurt

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X