No announcement yet.

Grants or funding for a station? Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grants or funding for a station? Ideas?

Brothers, our department is running into some station issues. Our call volume has greatly increased in the last couple of years due to house vacancies and a new highway. So we purchased a much needed new pumper and are selling our old one (which is not stored at the station). We are a small volunteer department with a roster of 23. Funds are low as we have a loan against a new pumper. The pumper is the same length as our old pumper, but It is just a pain their is literally 1/4" between the tailboard and the wall and the same between the bumper and the door, plus we have a total of two pumpers, a tanker, and a brush unit, all fitting in three bays (not so hard to respond, but a real pain to get back into the station). And thats not all, we have a support squad and a light trailer that has to sit outside because their is just no room in the station. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please help!

Have you looked into community development block grants or rural development grants?
    There are not a lot of funding sources for bricks & mortar type projects outside of these.

Comment

Islandfire03, even CDBG would not help as that program funding is rumored to be going bye-bye this year with the budget cuts currently proposed.Atlanta802 I hate to be the harbinger of bad news but, looking for grants for a building is an effort in futility currently. You will definitely not see a recurrence of the Fire Station Construction grant from the ARRA. Truth be told, your best bet at this point is probably going to be a remodel funded through specific fundraising efforts of the department. Utilizing what grants funding is available, in an effective manner, will free up money within your budget to assist you here.
      Kurt Bradley
      Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
      " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

You can try an appropriation with your Senator and or Congressman, but that will probably be futile as well.

Comment

We started saving, budgeting, and acquiring donations for our new station 15 years ago. If it wasn't for the SCG though, we never would have made it. About the closest thing we found that would help before the SCG came along was USDA loans. There just isn't much out there in the way of assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
            Islandfire03, even CDBG would not help as that program funding is rumored to be going bye-bye this year with the budget cuts currently proposed.Atlanta802 I hate to be the harbinger of bad news but, looking for grants for a building is an effort in futility currently. You will definitely not see a recurrence of the Fire Station Construction grant from the ARRA. Truth be told, your best bet at this point is probably going to be a remodel funded through specific fundraising efforts of the department. Utilizing what grants funding is available, in an effective manner, will free up money within your budget to assist you here.
            Kurt,

I, like others I'm sure, are getting calls for grants help for everything under the sun. As city budgets begin to shrink, heads of departments are scrambling for even operational support. I am flattered, but with the reality of NO funding being available in 2012 and 2013, some social centers are going to have a rough time.

(We just don't need our Military servicemen taking the first hit)

Comment

Originally posted by jam24u View Post
              Kurt,

I, like others I'm sure, are getting calls for grants help for everything under the sun. As city budgets begin to shrink, heads of departments are scrambling for even operational support. I am flattered, but with the reality of NO funding being available in 2012 and 2013, some social centers are going to have a rough time.

(We just don't need our Military servicemen taking the first hit)
              Jim: Thats what happens when people find out you know how to be successful at grant writing.
              In the last two weeks I've gotten several e-mails and two phone calls from folks wanting a little help in getting grant funds for several projects.
              One of them could turn into a multi-million dollar comms project that will be very hard to find funding for.

As the reality of economic cuts starts to trickle down and schools are being closed, public employees are being permanently eliminated, and benefits such as grant programs are drying up, it will get harder to make the magic work

Comment

What will begin to show quickly is the difference between those grant writers that have simply been lucky a few times and scored when things were all rosy and pretty and those that took the time to learn the in's and out's of this game well enough to have paid attention to the subtle things that have been taught to many of you in here. Lessons regarding the value of networking, knowing how to properly research and where to look for funding opportunities, how to ask properly and form that nexus between a funding source's priorities and your own, how to properly prepare your agency in advance of a funding opportunity and knowing not to procrastinate till the last second. Money will be tight, as it has been in the past but, it will be there for those that know where and what to look for. Its time, gentleman, to dust off those class notebooks and manuals and revisit some of those slides and chapters that didn't seem so important to you back 2-3 years ago. Jam24u and islandfire03 I know, because I taught you, that you have that knowledge and those skills that will allow you to be able to make a difference when the going gets tough, trust me!
                Kurt Bradley
                Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse