Vehicle grants for 2011?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle grants for 2011?

I have a rep telling there will be no or hardly any vehicle grants next year.
    He heard it at FDIC. Anyone else pick up on this?

They will still have them, but with less funding for 2011, this will equal to fewer vehicle awards. They are going to be tighting the requirements for vehicle awards. The last meeting that I was at, we were told that the vehicle that you want to replace has to be 25 years or older. Maybe Kurt can weigh in on this since he was at FDIC also.

Comment

Originally posted by Clutchcargo1 View Post
      I have a rep telling there will be no or hardly any vehicle grants next year.
      He heard it at FDIC. Anyone else pick up on this?
      Your FEMA rep heard it at FDIC? Who heard it?

Every year there is less funding it stands to reason there will be less, but I have heard nothing about none.

Comment

Originally posted by rands1 View Post
        They will still have them, but with less funding for 2011, this will equal to fewer vehicle awards. They are going to be tighting the requirements for vehicle awards. The last meeting that I was at, we were told that the vehicle that you want to replace has to be 25 years or older. Maybe Kurt can weigh in on this since he was at FDIC also.
        The AFG is probably following the recommendations set forth in NFPA 1901 which states, "Apparatus that were not manufactured to the apllicable NFPA fire apparatus standards or that are over 25 years old should be replaced" (NFPA, 209, 1901-D-1).

Comment

Originally posted by onebugle View Post
          The AFG is probably following the recommendations set forth in NFPA 1901 which states, "Apparatus that were not manufactured to the apllicable NFPA fire apparatus standards or that are over 25 years old should be replaced" (NFPA, 209, 1901-D-1).
          So our 1962 or!972 federal surplus tankers should have been replaced. Where's our grant!!lol
          Ed

Comment

Originally posted by penman View Post
            So our 1962 or!972 federal surplus tankers should have been replaced. Where's our grant!!lol
            Ed
            Now would be a good time for you I believe

Comment

What if your truck is only 22 years old but has over 800k miles on it because it was a converted long haul tractor trailer truck? It seems like the 25 year old limit is a little sensless especially if there are trucks like ours out there that are not over 25 but still just as dangerous. "not that i am biased"

Comment

Originally posted by Blazing212 View Post
                What if your truck is only 22 years old but has over 800k miles on it because it was a converted long haul tractor trailer truck? It seems like the 25 year old limit is a little sensless especially if there are trucks like ours out there that are not over 25 but still just as dangerous. "not that i am biased"
                Thats where you need to sell it hard in your narrative, Provided all the other scoring criteria gets you past the computer to peer review.
                There are many variables in the scoring process.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazing212 View Post
                  Age is just one factor that plays into the matrix. Just because a vehicle isn't over 25 years old doesn't mean that the department cannot be awarded for something less than that. Call volume, population served etc. have a factor in it as well. There is a question in the application that asks how many times during the year the vehicle to be replaced was used. Converted vehicles get higher consideration, but does not guarantee an award.

From the PG:

As with other eligible AFG activities, the primary goal in the Firefighting Vehicle Acquisition program is firefighter safety. Applicants seeking to replace unsafe vehicles (i.e., open cab engines or converted tankers) will receive higher consideration than applicants seeking to replace vehicles that have these safety features. The highest consideration is provided to applicants wanting to replace vehicles that have been converted for use as firefighting vehicles, but were not originally designed for firefighting. However, replacement of an unsafe vehicle will still have to be justified in the narrative. Converted vehicles not originally used, nor intended to be used, in emergency operations will not be favorably reviewed merely because they are converted. We will give high consideration to applicants with firefighting vehicles that had an “open-cab” configuration in their original design.

Comment

news from FDIC

I was at both classes put on by the Program office. They plan on funding vehicles but as stated earlier lower funding levels also lowers how many of anything they can award. They also EMPHASIZED about 20 times that nothing was certain until the PG was published. It is apparently written but until the final OK, anything they said at the classes was subject to change.

Comment

Sounded fishy to me that there would be NO grants for apparatus. But given the budget cut I would understand less vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Clutchcargo1 View Post
                        Sounded fishy to me that there would be NO grants for apparatus. But given the budget cut I would understand less vehicles.
                        I believe what lfdmichael was referring to was that lacking a budget, anything that they were saying was subject to change and not cast in stone. I don't think what was being said ( and I was present when this was discussed) was indicative that there would be NO Vehicle acquisition programmatic area in 2011 AFG.
                        Kurt Bradley
                        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

FEMA 2012 Budget request

For those of you that may have missed it, FEMA Director Craig Fugate appeared in front of the House Appropriations comittee, Subcommittee for Homeland Security yesterday and made his pitch for the 2012 FEMA budget which includes the Fire Act Grants. Key comments were:

"The FY 2012 request includes $670 million for these programs. Included in this amount are $420 million for SAFER Grants to rehire laid off firefighters and retain veteran first responders – totaling 2,300 firefighter positions – and $250 million for AFG and FP&S, in order to fund equipment, training, vehicles, and related materials. The amount requested for SAFER in FY 2012 reflects the reality that effective fire safety programs require both equipment and personnel. While the $5 billion we have provided over the past several years through AFG has furnished fire departments with equipment, vehicles and other necessities, we must ensure that states and localities have the necessary personnel to perform the task at hand. This means rehiring laid-off firefighters, increasing fire department staffing to be consistent with nationally recognized consensus standards, supporting veteran first responders, and providing our state and local partners with the tools they need to keep our country safe."

Now read carefully here, this is for 2012 not 2011 AFG.
                          Kurt Bradley

Comment

Hmmmm, wonder what they are proposing for 2011. Or are they just going to skip it all together?

Comment

Originally posted by utfd701 View Post
                              Hmmmm, wonder what they are proposing for 2011. Or are they just going to skip it all together?
                              A whole lot will depend upon what happens on Capitol Hill in next 24 hour. Stay tuned!
                              Kurt Bradley

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse