Mutual Aid Requirements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutual Aid Requirements?

Hello everyone. I am wondering if running mutual aid is a requirment to recieve any grant monies through FEMA? The reason I am asking is because our mayor is wanting to cut out all mutual aid calls, and I am thinking without running mutual aid we are not eligble for grants. Also, I think maybe they can come back and get the equip. you have received off of grant monies if you do not do so....I have searched my state and FEMA's website, but can not find anything relevant to this topic..Any help is appreciated..Thanks and stay safe.

You might ask him who is going to provide you with mutual aid with you need it (in a tone suggesting he is an idiot). Any county/state mutual aid compacts in place (contracts).

Comment

Originally posted by 8truckie3 View Post
      Hello everyone. I am wondering if running mutual aid is a requirment to recieve any grant monies through FEMA? The reason I am asking is because our mayor is wanting to cut out all mutual aid calls, and I am thinking without running mutual aid we are not eligble for grants. Also, I think maybe they can come back and get the equip. you have received off of grant monies if you do not do so....I have searched my state and FEMA's website, but can not find anything relevant to this topic..Any help is appreciated..Thanks and stay safe.
      No requirement to have mutual/automatic aid agreements, but it could hurt in the long run in being awarded a grant. From the PG:

Departments that have formal automatic aid agreements with neighboring departments will receive additional consideration. Departments with formal mutual aid agreements will receive more consideration than departments without formal agreements, but not as much consideration as departments with automatic aid agreements.
      Why is the Mayor looking at cutting out MA calls?

Comment

If you recieve equipment through your conservation department many states require you to have MA agreements in place, at least with your conservation department.

Comment

Originally posted by neiowa View Post
          You might ask him who is going to provide you with mutual aid with you need it (in a tone suggesting he is an idiot). Any county/state mutual aid compacts in place (contracts).
          Yea what Iowa said. Truckie, I see you have one of those too. DON’T HAVE A CLUE WHAT HE IS DOING. Could say more but he signs my payroll checks. Oh God please keep us together for 15 more months. "Election Year"

Comment

Don't go to a gunfight armed with a knife son!Did his City attorney or the City BOC approve that statement? Do some quick checking and I bet you will find some of that Mayor's close relatives and friends living in those mutual aid areas; I wonder how he would explain that call to his daughter or son who gets burned out from lack of mutual aid. Better yet how would he explain to the City about their, and his, personal liability of such a call should it result in a death. Boy I know some very nasty personal injury attorneys that would love to jump on that!
            Kurt Bradley
            Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
            " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Thank you all for your responses..The reasoning is because "it costs too much money." He handed the Chief a letter saying this is what your diong from now on with a bunch of uneducational BS on it. But we are all bought to bring everything up to the public, and the councilmen since they didn't even know what this bozo was doing. It is rediculous. Were breaking the city, BUT he can go by $4,000 road signs for private business'?hmmm..Hopefully we can get it all straightened out.

Comment

I'd suggest in the discussion sticking to the logic, operations, and law pertaining to FD issues. Leave the BS not pertaining to this to the council. Likely they are aware and either approved it or already have a bone to pick on the the subject.

The "power" of a mayor varies widely depending on the laws of a state and the ordinances of the city. And how active his/she is and what the council will allow. Good bet you have a city attorney, may want to discuss the FD issue of reciprical mutual aid. Your County Emergency Mgmt and County attorney should know what mutual aid agreements (contracts) and other obligations exist pertaining to the FD/city.

Comment

Once again thanks everyone...We have brought up every issue there is to bring up about not running mutual aid. The problem is he's a politician so he don't care about anyone or anything besides money..It's all a money game to him...Were at wits end with him right now, but hopefully we can get it changed if we all stick together and let the communities/surrounding departments know how it's going to impact them when were not available for m.a.

Comment

And yet the same person will be wondering where the help is when you have a 2nd run and no one to take it. And people wonder why politicians have bad reputations for not having any common sense.
                    Brian P. Vickers
                    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                    www.helpmewithgrants.com
                    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by 8truckie3 View Post
                      Once again thanks everyone...We have brought up every issue there is to bring up about not running mutual aid. The problem is he's a politician so he don't care about anyone or anything besides money..It's all a money game to him...Were at wits end with him right now, but hopefully we can get it changed if we all stick together and let the communities/surrounding departments know how it's going to impact them when were not available for m.a.
                      8truckie3, Are you sure you’re not one of our members here because it sounds exactly like us. Ours wants to pull back in the city limits because those people don’t pay anything for fire service. Well I can understand that. We do make a lot of runs down to the lake area but why not incorporate that area in the city. It would be a win/win for all of us and most of those people can’t even vote on it because they live out of town. We could collect 5mil more on property tax and 8.5 cents on dollar for every piece of building material dropped off there. Most of them have million dollar homes setting on two million lots. Most are their second homes so they can’t homestead exempt them from taxes. Add that up for 500 or so homes and growning. Oh but that’s not all folks he as well wants to stop mutual aid. Spending too much for fuel. Most of my firefighters live outside the city limits and they all said if we can’t come to put their house out then they are not going to come here. Make sense to me. But he is the boss and city father. Father? I got a mold on my Axx older than him. Opps!! I didn’t say that.
                      Have a great day everyone.
                      Signed: Anonymous

Comment

How much mutual aid are you giving v. receiving.

Depending on the balnace, or the imbalance. the city government may have a very valid point in regards ro mutual aid.

We have a fire district in our parish that is constantly crossing the line to another district in the neighboring parish that can almost get even enough folks for an intial response. This department is constantly being toned out to structure and brush fires, with honestly no hope of ever receieving mutual aid from this department in return.

The question becomes in a situation like that is how fair is it for the taxpayer's of the giving department's district to basically be funding primary fire operations in the receiving departments area with no hope of getting MA in return. At what point do you simply say "no"?

Again I'm not familiar with your situation but a little more information is really needed here as to the volume of aid being given and received.
                        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

It's honestly about even..We run out of our city 4-5 times a month. Sometimes more sometimes less...But we usually call for m.a. 3-4 times a month..So i mean it's even..All the depts. we run mutual aid, run with us also. dfd I swear it's sds about exactly the same as our situation, besides the million dollar homes part..Haha..A lot of our guys live out of the city also and have families that do so. If we're not available for mutual aid the next dept is an addtl 10-15 minutes away from what we would have been in most cases..It's just rediculous he says it takes too much money? We collect more insurance money off of fires outside the city than we do inside, due to the amount of fires being higher..

Comment

Pull out your run sheets where you provided or recieved mutual aid. Using established hourly rates (hazmat, FEMA, or local POYB) for apparatus, vehicles and equipment. Prepare proforma invoices:

1.) From your FD to each outside FD to which you provided mutual.
                            2.) From each FD that provided mutual aid to your city.

Compare tham and see how it balances out. Adjust rates to provide your argument. If necessary to justify your case loose #1.

Explain #2 to council and ask how you're to fund these new budget line item.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X