New guy question. Again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy question. Again!

Brothers and Sisters, I am starting to dive into the world of grants to help out our department. Up untill now our finances have been ok and equipment supply from the County has been great. Our problem is this. We serve 41 square miles with only 13 pressue hydrants and 19 dry hydrants/suction points and have no tanker. Our closest is 21 miles away and we use them all the time. My question is do we fit for going after a FEMA grant for a tanker without having one? If so, can anyone help us out with tips, pointers or verbage for a narrative that would help us. We have statistical data flowing out our ears and have compiled a butt load of financial data. I would go to one of the seminars but, administrator so no funds to go. Our fleet consists of two engines (81 and 04) rescue (83) service/support (93 homemade) and a 07 type 6 wildland engine. If someone can aid or assist please send info my way. I will glady help you somehow to repay. [email protected]

That's one of the few exceptions where not having one doesn't hurt since it's a basic tool that's needed for any fire, especially in a non-hydranted situation.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

One of the things mentioned in all grant writing courses is: Don't leave any questions that might arise when a peer reviewer reads you narrative. You need to write the narrative so that the reviewer doesn't have to search for answers in the few short minutes they have to score your application.

Somethings that comes to mind is why have you been able to survive without a tanker up to now, & why do you need one funded by AFG?
      How often do you call for mutual aid tanker support?
      How many structure fires per year have you relied on that mutual aid tanker?
      How many fires became total losses or incurred loss of lives or injuries due to lack of water?
      How many small room & contents became fully involved due to lack of a tanker or delay waiting for mutual aid?

Don't take these questions as saying you shouldn't try for a grant. Just be aware that these answers will need to be provided in your narrative. I think you should have a tanker and your coverage area requires it.
      they will look at the age of the rest of your vehicle fleet and try to figure out why you haven't bought one before now.

Good luck !

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X