Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tanker Narrative

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tanker Narrative

    Hey everyone i am new to these forums and so far have seen some great helpful information. I am looking to submit a tanker grant to the AFG program this year. We are in Maine and looking to replace our converted tanker. Does anyone have a winning narrative they would be willing to share. I have a winning grant for a cascade and a plymovent vehicle exhaust system. We have not been sucessful so far in getting a new vehicle for a few years now and we dont know why. Im not sure if i am putting down the wrong information for them or just not enough. Anyway, thanks for your help
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Blazing212; 03-25-2011, 09:29 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Blazing212 View Post
    Hey everyone i am new to these forums and so far have seen some great helpful information. I am looking to submit a tanker grant to the AFG program this year. We are in Maine and looking to replace our converted tanker. Does anyone have a winning narrative they would be willing to share. I have a winning grant for a cascade and a plymovent vehicle exhaust system. We have not been sucessful so far in getting a new vehicle for a few years now and we dont know why. Im not sure if i am putting down the wrong information for them or just not enough. Anyway, thanks for your help
    What type of DJ's have you recieved on the vehicle grants; computer or peer DJ's?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally 2 years we were after a brush truck which were peer review denials. Then we went after a pumper tanker and didnt make peer review. This past year we went for strictly a tanker to replace our converted tanker built from a tractor trailer truck chasis and motor we are still waiting on that one.

      Comment


      • #4
        what's your e-mail address?

        Comment


        • #5
          Its now in my original post
          Last edited by Blazing212; 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Blazing212 View Post
            Originally 2 years we were after a brush truck which were peer review denials. Then we went after a pumper tanker and didnt make peer review. This past year we went for strictly a tanker to replace our converted tanker built from a tractor trailer truck chasis and motor we are still waiting on that one.
            Typically, PRDJ's come in 2 forms; 1) lack compelling arguments in one or more areas of the narrative or 2) scored well, but not making it to the funding level. The first provides info, but it's subtle. Whether one or more areas lack a compelling argument tells you that there was not enough info to convince the PR of your need. Basically, need to expand on those areas that are an issue.

            The computer DJ on the pumper/tanker was most likely caused for a few reasons. 1) The pumper/tanker is classified as a pumper. 2) The average age of the fleet espcially for pumpers is less than 20 years. 3) The overall cost as that type of vehicle will be more expensive than a tanker hence the cost/benefit is out of whack.

            Have you checked to see if there is a reference to the 2010 application with the 1199A?

            Comment


            • #7
              How important is it to state the cost of a new tanker per person in your town IE
              5%Town match is 12,000
              do you divide $12,000 by number of people in your town or all the people in your mutual aid area. (or by number of runs you expect to take the truck on)

              How important is it to divide out the dollar amount your asking for by number or runs it will possibly go on?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Blazing212 View Post
                How important is it to state the cost of a new tanker per person in your town IE
                5%Town match is 12,000
                do you divide $12,000 by number of people in your town or all the people in your mutual aid area. (or by number of runs you expect to take the truck on)

                How important is it to divide out the dollar amount your asking for by number or runs it will possibly go on?
                For the most part it's a personal preference by the writer whether they include such a figure or not. I for one always do to show the PR the cost per person or run. It gives them some perspective on how inexpensive the project would be to fund.

                I base my figures using the population only. The reason being that the population is for the most higher than the call volume; this produces a lower per unit cost.

                Cost of the project divided by the useful service life divided by the population.

                ex. 200,000/25/2000=$4/person

                If need be I would provide a second calculation that includes the mutual aid population as well, because they would be benefiting as well if you are awarded.

                ex. 200,000/25/(2000+3000)=$1.6/person

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by onebugle View Post
                  For the most part it's a personal preference by the writer whether they include such a figure or not. I for one always do to show the PR the cost per person or run. It gives them some perspective on how inexpensive the project would be to fund.

                  I base my figures using the population only. The reason being that the population is for the most higher than the call volume; this produces a lower per unit cost.

                  Cost of the project divided by the useful service life divided by the population.

                  ex. 200,000/25/2000=$4/person

                  If need be I would provide a second calculation that includes the mutual aid population as well, because they would be benefiting as well if you are awarded.

                  ex. 200,000/25/(2000+3000)=$1.6/person
                  Just to be clear...your calculation represents $4 per person per year. Not $4/person one time cost.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    212 On your tanker app, the question "How many structures are covered by hydrants" What did you put down there? When I started writing our grants I had no experience at it. So when I asked for a new tanker to replace our 1967 converted J4 tanker I was turned down twice. I helped another department with theirs I pretty much copied mine but where I had 90% of our homes covered by hydrants they didn’t have any. They got their grant. That’s when it hit me. The cost of learning by mistakes is expensive. You can learn a lot just by reading the forums here but going to grant writing class is well worth the money.
                    dfd701

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by davepa View Post
                      Just to be clear...your calculation represents $4 per person per year. Not $4/person one time cost.
                      That is correct.

                      Comment

                      300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                      Collapse

                      Upper 300x250

                      Collapse

                      Taboola

                      Collapse

                      Leader

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X