X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• islandfire03
    replied
    Originally posted by HuntPA View Post
    That is why I thought it may be better to go for just the chassis as the bed is obviously still good. My chief brought up the fact that the bed was put on and outfitted to meet NFPA for the year of the truck ('85) and that their may be issues with NFPA compliance if we update the chassis without also upgrading the equipment.
    OUCH !
    I don't know if I would even go down that road with the govt. Could bring about more problems that are best left in the back of the engine bay if you get my drift.

On a different thought. Have you looked into a chassis thats coming in off lease.
    I bought a 3 year old one ton 15 passenger ford van last spring with 26 k on the clock for under 21k.
    New price for one was over 40 k loaded.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Going to have more of an issue on answering why if it's only 3 years old was it only built to meet the 1985 version of NFPA 1906? After all, newer version of that was in place in 2008 so it begs the question since all refurbs have to meet the current NFPA version at the time of the refurb, why was NFPA violated then? Probably better to not get into those minute details and just worry about why the chassis needs replacing since you managed to make a step forward with the rest on your own.

Leave a comment:

• HuntPA
    replied
    Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
    A little confused here.{but thats normal}
    Did you get a 15k grant from AFg for the bed on the brush truck 3 years ago?
    If so then that would lower your score in the overall picture unless you can reuse it on a new chassis. Reviewers would wonder why you spent 15 k on the bed to only get three more years life out of the vehicle.
    That is why I thought it may be better to go for just the chassis as the bed is obviously still good. My chief brought up the fact that the bed was put on and outfitted to meet NFPA for the year of the truck ('85) and that their may be issues with NFPA compliance if we update the chassis without also upgrading the equipment.

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    Originally posted by HuntPA View Post
    Yes we are liscensed, and $10,000 will help, especially after getting the news about our chances of AFG funding.

Since I started the thread, I might as well continue on similar lines:

Seeing as the rescue is a futile expense of energy, would we be better off going for a refurb grant for a chassis under our '85 brush truck, or should we go for the whole thing? Seeing as how we are only 3 years removed from getting $15,000 for the bed on the brush truck, would we be precluded from replacing the entire vehicle? One thought on this being that we could modify our current design so that the "brush" unit would also carry our extrication tools, cribbing, and other stuff. This would make it into our defacto rescue and we could then replace our current rescue unit with an SUV for purely medical purposes. This would greatly reduce our expense on replacing the current rescue both now and in the future.

Thoughts?

And again, I would like to thank you all for the help in getting this figured out.
    A little confused here.{but thats normal}
    Did you get a 15k grant from AFg for the bed on the brush truck 3 years ago?
    If so then that would lower your score in the overall picture unless you can reuse it on a new chassis. Reviewers would wonder why you spent 15 k on the bed to only get three more years life out of the vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• MedicDVG
    replied
    never mind..
    Last edited by MedicDVG; 03-31-2011, 12:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    You mean like I mentioned in Post #2?

Leave a comment:

• HuntPA
    replied
    Yes we are liscensed, and $10,000 will help, especially after getting the news about our chances of AFG funding.

Since I started the thread, I might as well continue on similar lines:

Seeing as the rescue is a futile expense of energy, would we be better off going for a refurb grant for a chassis under our '85 brush truck, or should we go for the whole thing? Seeing as how we are only 3 years removed from getting $15,000 for the bed on the brush truck, would we be precluded from replacing the entire vehicle? One thought on this being that we could modify our current design so that the "brush" unit would also carry our extrication tools, cribbing, and other stuff. This would make it into our defacto rescue and we could then replace our current rescue unit with an SUV for purely medical purposes. This would greatly reduce our expense on replacing the current rescue both now and in the future.

Thoughts?

And again, I would like to thank you all for the help in getting this figured out.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Quick Response Service, EMS first-response. Yankee/PA thing.

Leave a comment:

• WJVaughn
    replied
    ok I give, what is a qrs vehicle? must be a regional thing.

Leave a comment:

• xchief23
    replied
    HuntPA, are you a licensed QRS service? If so, EMSOP funding can get you up to $10,000 towards a QRS vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• dfd701
    replied
    Thanks Onebugle. Don’t see the City ever coming up that kind of money for us. Have to buy new police cars every year. I try not to say never because we have a City election next year and one day they will get their priorities right. Our brush truck is used more than any other truck we have. Making that statement about the PD is going to upset some that post here so just to stop that in its tracks here it is. The police department budget: $535,000 and the fire department budget: $107,000 enough said.
    Ed there is a lot of larger companies taking over smaller ones lately. I guess the smaller ones don’t have the capital to make it any more with all the tax breaks the larger ones get from the fed’s. I got a letter from our internet account provider were they are going to start charging extra if you send out a certain amount of data through their network. That opens up a can of worms as far as the internet being free. Looking for the fed to start taxing you for using the internet next. It is coming. They see some revenue and they are going to get it. My opinion only.
    Have a great day you all.
    dfd701

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    Classic fire was just purchased by Crimson/spartan this month.
    They were producing brush trucks , tankers and small engines for E-One dealers.

Leave a comment:

• onebugle
    replied
    Originally posted by dfd701 View Post
    Hey bugle that is a sharp unit. Is that foam system an injection or induction? Not familiar with that foam system. We are looking at adding one of some kind to our brush unit. Class A on brush and wood fires really makes a big deference. You can knock it down once and usually you don’t have to go back and hit the flare up’s. I have added dishwashing soap to the tank but it’s a pain when you fill back up. If you don’t mind tell me what that truck cost.
    Thanks dfd701
    dfd701,

The foam system is an injection style very easy to operate. The award was for $135K with the truck costing $133,458. The excess funds were used to purchase radios for the vehicle; in the end we spent $136,208.

Leave a comment:

• dfd701
    replied
    Originally posted by onebugle View Post
    As the guys pointed out there is no chance of being awarded a rescue. The only way to accomplish this is through a multi-use vehicle. A brush or quick attack vehicle with a rescue style body would be a possible solution to the problem.

We were awarded in 2005 for a brush truck. It's primary focus is brush fires, but can be used for multiple uses such as a tow vehicle and rescue. The vehicle is equipped with a rescue style body with rollup doors. During the winter months the pump and tank are drained and equipment such as hose, floating pump etc. stored in the compartments are removed and the vehicle is used to carry the department's ice water rescue equipment.

Here's a link to the company that we purchased from and the type of vehicle that was purchased.

http://www.classicfirellc.com/frfu.asp
    Hey bugle that is a sharp unit. Is that foam system an injection or induction? Not familiar with that foam system. We are looking at adding one of some kind to our brush unit. Class A on brush and wood fires really makes a big deference. You can knock it down once and usually you don’t have to go back and hit the flare up’s. I have added dishwashing soap to the tank but it’s a pain when you fill back up. If you don’t mind tell me what that truck cost.
    Thanks dfd701

Leave a comment:

• onebugle
    replied
    As the guys pointed out there is no chance of being awarded a rescue. The only way to accomplish this is through a multi-use vehicle. A brush or quick attack vehicle with a rescue style body would be a possible solution to the problem.

We were awarded in 2005 for a brush truck. It's primary focus is brush fires, but can be used for multiple uses such as a tow vehicle and rescue. The vehicle is equipped with a rescue style body with rollup doors. During the winter months the pump and tank are drained and equipment such as hose, floating pump etc. stored in the compartments are removed and the vehicle is used to carry the department's ice water rescue equipment.

Here's a link to the company that we purchased from and the type of vehicle that was purchased.

http://www.classicfirellc.com/frfu.asp

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X