AFG equipment life span

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFG equipment life span

Does anyone know how long I have to keep equipment and/or vehicles funded by AFG, or better yet where I can find the information at?

Thanks

are you serious

Let me see if I understand what your asking:
    You were lucky enough to be awarded new equipment or apparatus , that you so badly needed, funded by the taxpayers and now you want to know how soon you can sell it.

This smacks of serious fraud and the only person to answer this will be the inspector general when they come to take someone away in bracelets.
    Just so you are aware the folks from AFG do read this forum.

Comment

Really!?!?

Comment

Well it might be a real question. Depending on what equipment it is. Things and money can change. What if a department could upgrade to something alittle better on equipment they got 5 or 6 years ago with AFG??

Comment

Originally posted by volfireman034 View Post
          Well it might be a real question. Depending on what equipment it is. Things and money can change. What if a department could upgrade to something alittle better on equipment they got 5 or 6 years ago with AFG??
          Agreed and also maybe they are working on a strategic plan for the future. Like he said maybe they are better off now than when they applied for AFG and now they can upgrade on their own why would you not want to do that.

Comment

My very point and that would be a good thing and alot of what AFG is there for, to help departments improve.

Comment

IslandFire your reply was completely uncalled for. He spoke nothing about "selling" the equipment and asked a legitimate question. My department received a TIC in 03' and it has been a money pit. It is currently in for repair and not for the first time. We have spent over 3k on it over the years and it is nearing the end of its life. I think rescuetech deserves an apology!
              Last edited by mtrfd2518; 03-11-2011, 09:19 AM.

Comment

You are expected to keep the equipment for its "usable lifetime" which in most cases is the NFPA lifetime or close to it. Vehicles 20, HRTs-hose-SCBA 15, hose-radios 10, etc, etc. Of course if there are maintenance issues preventing it from lasting that long then of course getting rid of it or replacing it is expected. What can't happen is something like selling the truck within a couple years and buying 2 other used ones instead. Which happened prior to the rules being put into the Guidelines, hence the rules change...
                Brian P. Vickers
                CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                www.helpmewithgrants.com
                www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

If its not for money, and just for upgrading equipment for safety of your department then it sounds legit
                  If God be for us, who can be against us. Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the light.

Comment

In some cases, the fire protection needs of the community may have changed.

I know of one community that purchased a new fire pumper. It was designed and built to the needs of the community. Three years later, an energy refiner built a plant in that same community. This brand new pumper was then not big enough for the fire protection needs.

Things can change overnight. New subdivisions, new industry, etc. can be built in a community. What worked today can be undersized tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by BC79er View Post
                      You are expected to keep the equipment for its "usable lifetime" which in most cases is the NFPA lifetime or close to it. Vehicles 20, HRTs-hose-SCBA 15, hose-radios 10, etc, etc. Of course if there are maintenance issues preventing it from lasting that long then of course getting rid of it or replacing it is expected. What can't happen is something like selling the truck within a couple years and buying 2 other used ones instead. Which happened prior to the rules being put into the Guidelines, hence the rules change...
                      Thanks for the reply. Is that information in the guidence or somewhere else? For those that must know it was just a general information question for me and a friend of mines' department. It is equipment from one of the first grants that is becoming maintenance problems, and we just want to make sure we are following all the rules. T's crossed and I's dotted.

Thanks,

Again

Comment

It is either in the last couple of years worth of guidelines or on their web site, can't remember where. It wasn't included in the first few years because they didn't think it was something that needed to be included, then they found it to be a problem. So technically in the older PGs if it isn't there then it isn't a requirement. Depending on what it is if it's pushing 8-10 years old on most things that's about the end of lifespan for most things like TICs and whatnot. If they aren't worth fixing and they aren't working, then that's their usable lifespan as far as I'm concerned. Of course in that sense if it isn't worth you fixing it's not like you're giving it away either, the rule's in place so people don't outright sell the stuff and keep the dough to pay other bills (someone did that too...). So if it's a candidate for the round file, no worries.
                        Brian P. Vickers
                        CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                        FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                        www.helpmewithgrants.com
                        www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse