Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Program leads for a FD member's 501(c)(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Program leads for a FD member's 501(c)(3)

A little off-topic here, but one of our department's volunteer firefighters runs a small horse farm nonprofit that does equine therapeutic riding programs for special needs children. It's a shoestring operation, of course. He's looking for a grant that would help him get a small farm tractor. Any suggestions? USDA RurDev is only offering loan programs at this point, which is plan B. We have several of the local leads covered already, including Wal-Mart.

Thanks, and apologies if this is too far...er...afield.

If has non profit status established he can go thru his state surplus property office. Every state has one. The surplus property office get their "inventory" for free from Federal agencies (GSA or DOD). Most then transport it to a warehouse where state agencies, cities/counties, or nonprofits can get it. Typically for a fee of that covers the transportation + whatever is possible that will maintain the lifestyle of those that run the surplus office. Many have an online listing of equipment on hand. search on -

"your state" surplus property office

I've got a deal worked out with Iowa office that I tell them exactly what item I want them to request then I go get it. They charge me $100 to process the paperwork.

Tractors, small utility and up as big as they come; dozers, wheel loader, etc come thru DOD and GSA. Condition varies. DOD has lots of dozers and loaders available.

Comment

Originally posted by neiowa View Post
      If has non profit status established he can go thru his state surplus property office. Every state has one. The surplus property office get their "inventory" for free from Federal agencies (GSA or DOD). Most then transport it to a warehouse where state agencies, cities/counties, or nonprofits can get it. Typically for a fee of that covers the transportation + whatever is possible that will maintain the lifestyle of those that run the surplus office. Many have an online listing of equipment on hand. search on -

"your state" surplus property office

I've got a deal worked out with Iowa office that I tell them exactly what item I want them to request then I go get it. They charge me $100 to process the paperwork.

Tractors, small utility and up as big as they come; dozers, wheel loader, etc come thru DOD and GSA. Condition varies. DOD has lots of dozers and loaders available.

Many states will not let "any" non-profit screen. In Missouri, they have guidance from GSA that cuts out most non-profits from federal surplus. As an example, a Fire Department can only get surplus from the state side in Missouri, unless they are tax based, which is only a small portion of what is available. If it came in on the federal side, they cannot touch it.

That is specifically from the federal GSA.

Comment

What state are they in?.....I would also contact the tractor manufacturers/dealers too.....keep an eye on surplus auctions.....

Comment

Ed shoot me an email, saw something recently that might help. on the road to PA so will be later before I can reply.
          Brian P. Vickers
          CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
          FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
          www.helpmewithgrants.com
          www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse