Water Supply/Attack Lines grant help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Supply/Attack Lines grant help

Looking to submit 2011 AFG grant for LDH and appliances for two engines. We have just gotten our first hydranted area in our district and am new to the LDH game. Not looking for 2000' on each truck but enough to get from furthest hydrant to closest structures. Also looking to replace attack hose on one 30+ engine(2.5" & 1.75") with one blitzfire monitor or similar. Could use any advice on what afg is looking for on these hose grants, not looking for narratives per say but if you want to send them I would appreciate that also.

[email protected]

OK! new to posting on the site, but have monitored it for years. Let me explain our situation a little more in detail. Rural Dept. that serve 22 townships that covers 828 square miles. We have been very fortunate in the past to get afg grants for '06 pumper,'08 turnout gear,scba,wildland gear,'08 regional com. Now what i have found is alot of research in prep for grants has taken us the extra mile to be successful, but we have a new mission dropped in our lap that has kinda thrown me a curve that not alot of rural midwest depts have to face. We have a large grain facility that has been in our dist for 25 years and has the only "hydrant" 2.5" standpipe in our fire district. Now we have a Coal/Steam energy facility built in the Industrial Park that has actual fire hydrants that fed from ruarl water supply lines. Next up on this site is a Ethanol facility is slated to be built next year.

Comment

Ok new to the postings but have monitored the site for years, so please be kind.
      A little more background on this topic for all to digest. Our dept serves 22 townships that cover about 828 square miles. We have been fortunate to land grants in '06 pumper, '08 turnout gear,scba,wildland, '08 regional comm. But we have recently been exposed to a new mission that has me searching for a little insite. We have had a very large grain malting facility in our district for about 25 years and this is the only site that has a "hydrant" 2.5" standpipe that we have. Now in comes a coal/steam energy plant next to this that has actual fire hydrants supplied around this site, with an ethanol plant slated to start constuction next year in the same industrial park using the same hydrant facilities.
      My question is do I take the midwestern conservative approach to this and only ask for bare minimum of what i think we might need on each truck to hook up to the hydrants or do I go whole hog and ask for nfpa? which in my opinion might be a little overkill for a rural dept. Now mind you we are new to the LDH game so any advice would be awesome. I would like to also include new attack lines for our '87 pumper,(most of them came off of a '49 pumper years ago). Our big ticket items our dept is trying to save for is to replace two outdated non-any nfpa compliant 30+ milk trucks, That has nothing to do with this thread but this where priority for our dept is focused and really is the heart of our operations.
      Any comments would be appreciated, these facilities are about 10 miles from our fd out in the middle of now where.

Comment

Originally posted by NDRural FF View Post
        Ok new to the postings but have monitored the site for years, so please be kind.
        A little more background on this topic for all to digest. Our dept serves 22 townships that cover about 828 square miles. We have been fortunate to land grants in '06 pumper, '08 turnout gear,scba,wildland, '08 regional comm. But we have recently been exposed to a new mission that has me searching for a little insite. We have had a very large grain malting facility in our district for about 25 years and this is the only site that has a "hydrant" 2.5" standpipe that we have. Now in comes a coal/steam energy plant next to this that has actual fire hydrants supplied around this site, with an ethanol plant slated to start constuction next year in the same industrial park using the same hydrant facilities.
        My question is do I take the midwestern conservative approach to this and only ask for bare minimum of what i think we might need on each truck to hook up to the hydrants or do I go whole hog and ask for nfpa? which in my opinion might be a little overkill for a rural dept. Now mind you we are new to the LDH game so any advice would be awesome. I would like to also include new attack lines for our '87 pumper,(most of them came off of a '49 pumper years ago). Our big ticket items our dept is trying to save for is to replace two outdated non-any nfpa compliant 30+ milk trucks, That has nothing to do with this thread but this where priority for our dept is focused and really is the heart of our operations.
        Any comments would be appreciated, these facilities are about 10 miles from our fd out in the middle of now where.
        I would be glad to discuss your proper approach to this grant with you if you care to give me a call, no charge. 863-551-9598. Going to be out of town Wednesday through Sunday so call today at 863-551-9598.
        Kurt Bradley
        Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
        " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

Thanks, spoke to you in the past on a smokeless tabbaco grant, in which we received thanks to your help! Sorry for the double post fellas pecking with the left hand and holding 8 month old in the right. She can type faster than me, busy little hands.

Comment

Thanks, spoke to you in the past on a smokeless tabbaco grant, in which we received thanks to your help! Sorry for the double post fellas pecking with the left hand and holding 8 month old in the right. She can type faster than me, busy little hands.
            No problem fella, I am in office call now, not busy at moment!
            Kurt Bradley

Comment

That is so true. lol

Comment

We have ZERO hydrants. Built a 350000gal fire pond/reservoir in my yard in town a couple years ago so we have a water source (draft at present). Have a rural pond with dry hydrant at N end of fire district and a Slurrystore at S end converted to water storage tank.

What I did (have questions/1099) for pending 2010 grant. Req. hose to meet NFPA/ISO standards and replacing all outdated hose. 1-3/4" and 2-1/2" Attack line on our 1st out pumper (replace 20-35yr old assortment of misc hose). Plus 5" Supply line for 1500ft each on 1st out pumper and our new tanker/pumper. As station is in center of town this will allow the pumper to forward lay and the tanker/pumper to reverse lay to fire pond. can reach anywhere in town. Yep 3000' will reach anywhere in our "city". Right now we have 1000ft of 25yr old 5" Navy Surplus LDH loaded on a hosewagon. Get called for mutual aid for "Big ones" in the area.

Requested 5000' 6" for hose wagon (will be unique in the area so call it a regional asset). The combo of new 6" and 5" will allow us to lay LDH from S. water site to our largest structure (50000ft2). Also appliances for relay pumping, siamese for supply end, and manifold for distribution end, with misc fittings/adapters. Plus Turbodraft for supply and hose maintenace equipment. Decided to go with 6" as won't need to relay pump until you get to really big volume or long distance and it's not much heavier than 5". With 5" @1500gpm will need a relay pumper somewhere between 2000-3500' (depending on friction loss in your hose). Apparently explained the logic sufficiently in our app.

Perhaps a bit outside of the book. But have a plan, identified a need, and made application to support it. Convienced our peers at review that we had a plan and a need we could not fund. I think mutual aid aspect is a signficant "sell" point. At least would be to me if I was on peer review. We typically can turn out a minimum of 7-8 FF, any time, which is pretty good for a rural FD (at least in our area). And we'll roll mutual aid to anyone that asks. To my mind LDH/relay pumping beats tanker shuttle all to heck for GPM to the scene. Safer that running multi tankers (on rural roads in ______ weather). Typically have plenty of "modern" pumpers available that can relay pump. Not the so for tankers. Way short of what is required to hit 1000gpm + for the rural "big one".

Comment

Kurt
                  Got a "lifes" curveball thrown at me this week and will probably need your help! Let me know when your are available to talk. Thanks everyone for all your gracious responses, This is truly a brotherhood that everyone can depend on when help is needed! Trust me not everyone has the guts to put their own depts situation out there but they are looking at this website for advice or guidance for those that are willing to give it.

Comment

Kurt
                    Got a "lifes" curveball thrown at me this week and will probably need your help! Let me know when your are available to talk. Thanks everyone for all your gracious responses, This is truly a brotherhood that everyone can depend on when help is needed! Trust me not everyone has the guts to put their own depts situation out there but they are looking at this website for advice or guidance for those that are willing to give it.
                    I am in office all day today and through Thursday. Out on road Friday to Kiowa, CO for last grant class of this season. 863-551-9598 anytime after 7:00AM EST till 7:00PM EST.
                    Kurt Bradley

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse