Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neiowa
    replied
    Heard back from DHS regional contact. As long as the phone system and T-1/fiber link etc are used for Fire then "should qualify". Suggest if heavily used by cops (as obviously the case at a 911 center) they likely should (expected to be) buy into the project with their $. Not required but "suggested"
    Last edited by neiowa; 03-04-2011, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    Originally posted by jam24u View Post
    I don't think I understood a thing you posted.

I decided that from now on I am going to be comm dumb. Ignorance is bliss now. LOL
    Jim
    After bagging your regional Comm grant, you can't even pretend ignorance.
    You did a great job with yours and managed to herd a whole bunch of cats ito agreeing into one solution,
    Nice try.
    Ed

Leave a comment:

• jam24u
    replied
    Originally posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Anyone that has been down this road. Working on plan for 2nd regional commo (Narrowbanding) and general update/upgrade.

1.) Allow update of phone switching system at PSAP?

2.) Allow installation of fiber branch/T-1 to PSAP from nearest loop (approx 2 blocks)? Don't have cost but no change in building footprint.

3.) How deal with software that is not a purchase but a yearly user charge (Iamresponding)? Countywide license. I think not allowed.
    I don't think I understood a thing you posted.

I decided that from now on I am going to be comm dumb. Ignorance is bliss now. LOL

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    Neiowa: Not sure what phone company you're dealing with , but here the phone company provides the dedicated line in exchange for an annual lease fee.

We decided against going with a T-1 line due to the ongoing cost, and the ability of an accident taking out a phone pole & taking the line out, We went with a 4.9 ghz microwave link. The cost for these has really dropped in the last few years and it's a really simple way of moving comms/data from point to point.
    Was able to get funding for this from the state as part of our communications upgrade to get ready for narrowbanding.

Leave a comment:

• neiowa
    replied
    Same in Iowa the cops/state suck the interop teet dry for State "backbone" nothing trickles down.

FG also have funded microwave link etc to allow commo from PSAP to retrans tower sites. So shared use is possible.

T-1 typically have equipment/install cost. Then monthly fee. Looking for source to fund the install.

Part of County PSAP/911 funding problem is just bought new console to replace old DOS unit as part of new jail project in 2010. Had to borrow/now broke.

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    The problem there is that unless it's a dedicated Fire system then it's not truly eligible under AFG. There have been a few cases where dispatch consoles got funded to allow the new Fire equipment to work properly.

Every state has gotten separate federal funding for interoperable communications programs. How the individual states spent this is another question.
    Our states used 97% of it to build out state infrastructure ie [state police, wardens , marine patrol] so none of it really trickled down to the end users.
    They did vote in a phone line surcharge to pay for the 911e PSAP centers and started the consolidation process towards regionalized dispatch centers.

If you need the T-1 line then it's a monthly / annual fee from the phone company. not eligible

Leave a comment:

• neiowa
    replied
    1. PSAP is out of $ trying to update for NB. About 80% there. Phone system is 23yr old.

2. Need T-1 install for upgrade of PSAP to current standard. T-1 would allow link to a regional Viper which apparently is the hardware/system option of choice.

Current regional FG (have rcvd questions/etc waiting for announcement) funds repeaters/retrans/antenna/genset at new distributed locations as required to make NB commo work. A regional 2nd grant is funding replacement base/portables/pagers.

Funding of equipment to go in the PSAP or PSAP tower not doable?
    Many regional commo grants been given out the last couple years. Anyone gotten equipment/software to upgrade the PSAP end of the system. The receive end is not much good without the transmit end.

Leave a comment:

• ktb9780
    replied
    Gotta agree with islandfire on those three points here. Not going to fly I don't believe.

Leave a comment:

• islandfire03
    replied
    Gotta say that it would seem a long stretch in getting AFG funding for these items.
    #1 should be paid for by the PSAP funding mechanism
    #2 seems to me that your not purchasing equipment , just paying the phone company for service /installation.
    and #3 no way.

Leave a comment:

• fireinfo10
    started a topic Commo regional

Commo regional

Anyone that has been down this road. Working on plan for 2nd regional commo (Narrowbanding) and general update/upgrade.

1.) Allow update of phone switching system at PSAP?

2.) Allow installation of fiber branch/T-1 to PSAP from nearest loop (approx 2 blocks)? Don't have cost but no change in building footprint.

3.) How deal with software that is not a purchase but a yearly user charge (Iamresponding)? Countywide license. I think not allowed.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X