Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok I need some help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ok I need some help

    I hate asking this but I am looking for some examples of a successful vehicle grant for a tanker for a rural fire department. A small tanker ~2000 gallons with a 500 GPM pump. I have been very successful on grants over the years but this one keeps alluding me. If anyone is willing to share please forward a copy to [email protected].

    I much appreciate any assistance anyone has to offer. Thank you in advance. And if you collect FD patches I am willing to send out our FD patch in return for a copy of a winning app. But I will be limited to the first ten. I think my Chief would kill me if I sent out more than that. Be sure to include a mailing address.

  • #2
    What is the average age of your vehicles? What is the age of the tanker you are trying to replace? Do you make it past the computer review? If you are not making it past the computer then even the best narrative won't help because no one will see it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by BSFD9302 View Post
      I hate asking this but I am looking for some examples of a successful vehicle grant for a tanker for a rural fire department. A small tanker ~2000 gallons with a 500 GPM pump. I have been very successful on grants over the years but this one keeps alluding me. If anyone is willing to share please forward a copy to [email protected].

      I much appreciate any assistance anyone has to offer. Thank you in advance. And if you collect FD patches I am willing to send out our FD patch in return for a copy of a winning app. But I will be limited to the first ten. I think my Chief would kill me if I sent out more than that. Be sure to include a mailing address.
      On its way. Can't remember if I sent one before?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Red712 View Post
        What is the average age of your vehicles? What is the age of the tanker you are trying to replace? Do you make it past the computer review? If you are not making it past the computer then even the best narrative won't help because no one will see it.
        84 Tanker (which is what we want to replace, we built this new back in 83/84)
        06 Tanker
        89 Engine
        09 Engine
        06 F350 (We call it Rescue but it is for Med runs and utility)
        97 GMC 5500 Rescue

        No I did not make it past the computer last year. I am hoping that with an extra year on the fleet I might make it past the average age of fleet.

        I forgot to add something on my question and listing these vehicles made me remember it. Since the F350 is not used in fire suppression, extrication or anything other than med runs and utility does it need to be listed?

        Also, I have received some narratives and the the patches will be on the way. Thanks guys

        Comment


        • #5
          I think since your newest tanker is an 06 is what may be holding you back. I thought there was a 10 year rule in the guidence that stated you can not replace an older truck unless your newest one is at least 10 years old. I might be wrong on this but anyone else with info please share.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by admpaul View Post
            I think since your newest tanker is an 06 is what may be holding you back. I thought there was a 10 year rule in the guidence that stated you can not replace an older truck unless your newest one is at least 10 years old. I might be wrong on this but anyone else with info please share.
            Well, Let me ask this. Since this was purchased, actually back in 05, we have added another discharge to it which brings it up to 750 GPM (I think the new plate says 762 GPM). would this be classified as an Engine now or still a tanker?

            For those that are wondering, we had to cut one discharge out with some other things because of budget and orders but still kept the same pump in it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nothing in the official guidance indicates that they will not replace vehicles under a certain age, but historically an average fleet age of 20 years is generally the rule. If you have an older specialized piece (i.e. Aerial) with newer Engines, sometimes that is not always the case. The category you are replacing is also a key component.

              Your 750GPM+ unit would be classified as an Engine by AFG terms.

              As always, can't win if you don't play.

              Comment


              • #8
                As I see it your fleet age and the 05/06 tanker are the reasons you did not get by the computer scoring.
                Remember that you are competing against departments that have one tanker & it's a 1980 model, or older. Being competitive will put you in competition against all the apps for tankers, and your scoring is compared against them.

                The fact that you added a discharge to make it a 752 gpm is not enough to change the classification from tanker to pumper.

                Yes : you need to list your 06 utility truck as it is a responding piece of apparatus.

                Comment


                • #9
                  To add on what Sly said, it depends on how many stations you have too. That fleet with 1 station means that you have already replaced the old ones with new ones since only 1 vehicle of each type is considered "front line". You have a 2 year old pumper and 5 year old tanker, so technically you already replaced the 84 tanker and 89 pumper with these two. Yes all trucks need maintenance so when they're out the older ones take the first-out position for a day, but like island said you're up against people that have those vintage trucks and older as their first-out.

                  But also as Sly said, might as well keep playing. The odds are against but sometimes the dice land on your number. Like I do with other clients that call in the same situation I'd say keep applying but don't waste any money hiring anyone.
                  Brian P. Vickers
                  CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                  FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                  www.helpmewithgrants.com
                  www.facebook.com/vcsinc

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for all who have replied and those that wanted the patches they will be sent out tomorrow.

                    I actually did have a brain fart not thinking that I was kicked at the computer level. Also, Kurt I know you didn't post here but thanks for the info and I will be giving you a call.

                    I know this is a hard sell to get past the computer and there is a lot of FDs out there that probably need it worse than we do. But I will keep playing. If nothing else to show the politicians out there that there is still needs not just wants being asked for.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hopefully I don't get forgotten on that patch for the one I emailed, never heard a response, not even a thanks....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We are in the same boat as you, small town limited water sources, need a new tanker.
                        We have good engines but our tankers are:
                        1989 Freightliner (converted out of a tractor trailer cab) 2300 gallon
                        1975 GMC 1000 Gallon 300 gpm pump

                        If there is anyone willing to share a tanker narrative i would really appreciate it too. I only have a winning cascade system and plymovent exhaust removal system narrative to offer.
                        Thanks
                        and good luck to everyone who is trying to better their situations.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Blazing212 View Post
                          We are in the same boat as you, small town limited water sources, need a new tanker.
                          We have good engines but our tankers are:
                          1989 Freightliner (converted out of a tractor trailer cab) 2300 gallon
                          1975 GMC 1000 Gallon 300 gpm pump

                          If there is anyone willing to share a tanker narrative i would really appreciate it too. I only have a winning cascade system and plymovent exhaust removal system narrative to offer.
                          Thanks
                          and good luck to everyone who is trying to better their situations.
                          And your email addy is?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Sorry im new at this forum thing so bear with me. My email is [email protected]

                            Comment

                            300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                            Collapse

                            Upper 300x250

                            Collapse

                            Taboola

                            Collapse

                            Leader

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X