Posted without comment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posted without comment...

...for your entertainment and edification. And as a reminder of what we have to deal with, sometimes.

http://theunionleader.com/article.as...0-ee3b040f6b82

In some cases....not all, but some....I agree with "intent" of the article.

There are some frivolous AFG awards.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Pathetically mis-informed article. Should probably expect more of this as all federal spending will be under scrutiny for some time.

Comment

Wow

Out of that big list of awards my department gets named specifically, I don't know if I should upset or honored!! Would sending a thank you card be appropriate?

Comment

I actually agree with this article. Where does the federal government get the authority to distribute funds to local fire departments? Granted, if it's being offered, I will take all the money we can get.

Comment

As I've said before, we write and fund the bejesus out of a few hundred AFG awards every year, but I'd be just as happy if they nixed the program and cut our income taxes just the same.

SO overall less government spending is nice if they cut how much they take from us at the same time. But since that's never going to happen, might as well keep the program running instead of cutting AFG and spending it on overseas grant programs. Just check grants.gov for that list of frustration...
            Brian P. Vickers
            CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
            FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
            www.helpmewithgrants.com
            www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefSTN20 View Post
              Out of that big list of awards my department gets named specifically, I don't know if I should upset or honored!! Would sending a thank you card be appropriate?
              You should at least send a box of chocolates and some flowers. :-}

As usual a half baked research job done by the Union Leader writing staff.

Comment

AFG didn't have anything to do with 9/11. Yes it's port but is at least and "efficient" program by Fed standards. Actuall very very very efficient by Fed standards.

Just think of it as Chicom investment in the economy. They're practically forcing us to take our money.

Comment

Typical reporter that does not have the whole story. Someone needs to invite him to a "learn how to be a firefighter day"?

Comment

And with the invitation, make sure they get to use old gear and equipment like some of what is trying to be replaced. Give them the true effect of why AFG is doing this.

Comment

Obviously the author knows not, of what they speak! Poor research and total ignorance of the Federal grant system.

What is even more appalling though is the "ignorance" of those thinking that the politician had anything to do with the award but in reality, was only announcing the award. To claim it was an earmark, is nothing short of total ignorance on the part of the author. I would point out to those that did not receive a Congressional notification call that this is the reason many Congressional types do not make the calls, as they get raked over the coals by a liberal, uniformed and biased editorial staff of some "mullet wrapper".

Is it not just also totally ignorant that many who posted comments at the end of that article do not have a clue that the money awarded to the department was only the recovery of their own Federal tax dollars that they had paid and that in essence, they got everybody who pays taxes in the US to give a little to their community!
                      Kurt Bradley
                      Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                      " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

While I obviously don't agree with the Union Leader on this, I don't think "liberal" is the right way to describe the editorial staff of the Union Leader. It is actually one of the most conservative papers in the country.

During the Stonewall protests in New York in 1969, the headline of the Boston Globe read something like, "Homosexuals march to demand rights."

The headline of the Union Leader read, "Sodommites Riot."

Just to give you a general idea of the ideological bent of the paper.

Comment

Originally posted by NewHampshireFF View Post
                          While I obviously don't agree with the Union Leader on this, I don't think "liberal" is the right way to describe the editorial staff of the Union Leader. It is actually one of the most conservative papers in the country.

During the Stonewall protests in New York in 1969, the headline of the Boston Globe read something like, "Homosexuals march to demand rights."

The headline of the Union Leader read, "Sodommites Riot."

Just to give you a general idea of the ideological bent of the paper.
                          Point taken and noted; strike the word liberal!
                          Kurt Bradley
                          Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
                          " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

I am one of the most active persons on these boards fighting the abuse in the grant system. The fire service is one area that has proved the worthiness of the fire grant system as it pertains to what is expected out of them.

When out of control governemt continues to create new agencies intent upon impressing all around them of their worthiness to exist, and ends up dumping its results on the lowly fire departments, then the government must help those departments meet those government demands.

They forget all the other agencies creating more resolutions and regulations that all end up at one spot. The local fire department.

Think of it. NIMS, NFIRS, NFPA, HHS. Forestry, Interior Department, SFM, Dept. of Health, and on and on and on. Add Local and County to the mix. It's mind numbing. They seem unware of the other guys and keep creating more and more items that the departments must answer to.

So if they want us to keep up, then they gotta help.

its not like some silly grant for silly signs for a pathway or a museum to dolls in some back water town that has around a hundered visitors a year. That's a big part of the waste.

We're the ones jumping and their the ones begging for social support. We're held accountable.

I spent 8 hours in front of a senate committee Monday arguing these out of control spending habits. I have problem with particular unions collective bargaining, but the AFG and fire service grants are needed to meet the demands placed on them by the government itself. That's a huge difference when your trying to stay.... compliant. As Brian pointed out, that is one way, but this out of control overregulation is a monster of which we are not to blame.

btw, this was all Kurts doing.

sorry for getting carried away.

Comment

btw,

BARK BARK BARK, BOW WOW WOW WOW WOWO, BARK BARK BARK, GROWL GROWL GROWL, GRR GRR GRR, BARK BARK BARK.... ALL DAY LONG.

I have to let go a problem person today and I am trying to get to Nashville.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X