Mini Pumper for a Rural Department

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Pumper for a Rural Department

Has anyone ever had success getting a mini pumper for a department considered rural in the AFG system? Our department is considered rural because the amount of undeveloped land within our territory. However, we surround the largest university in Mississippi on 3 sides and with that comes student housing developments and game day traffic (SEC School). We received a tanker this year, as that was our highest priority, but now our highest priority becomes a 4x4 mini pumper that can get around traffic, and handle MVA's, Vehicle fires, brush calls, etc.. I would really like to put CAFS on this truck to stretch the water out. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by ADC120 View Post
    Has anyone ever had success getting a mini pumper for a department considered rural in the AFG system? Our department is considered rural because the amount of undeveloped land within our territory. However, we surround the largest university in Mississippi on 3 sides and with that comes student housing developments and game day traffic (SEC School). We received a tanker this year, as that was our highest priority, but now our highest priority becomes a 4x4 mini pumper that can get around traffic, and handle MVA's, Vehicle fires, brush calls, etc.. I would really like to put CAFS on this truck to stretch the water out. Any thoughts?
    I believe this is a project you can be successful with. If you have an old unsafe brush truck that needs replaced, you could always apply for a quick attack that can serve many purposes.

Comment

About a half dozen or so of the ones we do get funded every year. It's really the only way to get something with rescue/EMS capabilities in rural areas since the only Priority 1 vehicles in the Rural category have pumps and water on them. Ideally replacement of existing is the strongest way to chase it but as long as you have a solid argument for need it's a relatively inexpensive vehicle that helps keep the wear off the big ones.
      Brian P. Vickers
      CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
      FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
      www.helpmewithgrants.com
      www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Are you talking a mini-pumper with a PTO pump, or a quick attack that has a rescue-style body with a skid unit?

We recieved a quick attack in '07, and numerous other rural departments have recieved them. Sounds about like it'd do what you're wanting.

Comment

While we do have 2 "home made" brush trucks, they are on a 1999 & 2001 Dodge 3500 chassis, and I really can't lose them. They are both placed in outlying stations in the more rural areas of our district. I do have a 1996 panel van that we run as a rescue, that we bought used from a medical supply co. We run it from the station I would place the Mini Pumper if awarded.

Comment

Quick attack. Crew Cab with the rescue body and a CAFS skid would be the dream!

Comment

My guess is you would like something like this

http://www.blanchatmfg.com/minuteman...21b0600e3958ff

I have seen Blanchat at the fire shows and demos and have been real impressed.

Comment

There's a lot of different rigs out there that'd fit the bill. If you go to www.unruhfire.com you can see ours on their delivery page, along with some a variety of others. Wynn, Weis, Fouts Bros. and some other manufacturers have several examples, as well.

The unfortunate thing is that they've done away with the GMC/Chevy 5500 chassis, which is what ours is built on. Regardless, I've seen several on the Ford and Dodge chassis that look like nice rigs.

We have ours to be able to run brush calls (not in the woods, but grass fires) with the skid and front bumper turret. We also have the majority of our rescue, traffic control, and medical equipment on there. We're still working that way, but it'll eventually have all the ISO service company equipment on it that's not on our engines (pike poles, 6 spare SCBA, etc.).

One thing you'll want to do is to make sure that's where your priority will be and that's truly what you need. If it's not, ask for what you need on the apparatus application (if you're good on engines and tankers, it may be exactly what you need).

If you get down to it and that's what you're going to shoot for, let me know and I'll share the narrative on ours with you. Ours came in at $127K, and add probably $30K to that for CAFS.

Comment

Well we're good on pumpers, they are on a 15 year schedule and the next one doesn't expire until 2013. We were awarded a new tanker this year, and while I still have two other converted trucks, I can't see us getting another replaced with AFG. At this point the Quick Attack would be our biggest need. 1. To get rid of the panel van, & 2. Have something to take the load off our pumpers for the small stuff. Here's a link to something I found. http://www.freedomfireequipment.com/10ft__mini

Comment

Bumping this back to the top, will the fact we were awarded a tanker this year, hurt our chances of geting a quick attack in AFG '11?

Comment

Really only in terms of peer review, they may not take as much sympathy on your needs compared to someone that hasn't gotten any truck awards yet. But it would be a subconcious thing if they did it, there's nothing in the rules saying you will score lower automatically, save for the fact you'll have a 1 y/o truck in the fleet since you have to count the tanker as part of the fleet once you're awarded.
                      Brian P. Vickers
                      CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                      FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                      www.helpmewithgrants.com
                      www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Guess I'll have to make them fall in love with us, before they read the section on past awards!!! :-)

Comment

So does anyone have a winning quick attack narrative they would like to share or trade? I've got a Tanker, brush truck, and some equipment narratives if interested.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X