Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mjollnir_k
    replied
    I have had pretty good luck with the local Walmart here. I only ask about once every 2 years but have yet to be turned donw the $1,000 Dollars.

Our local Walmart does not donate items but the good neighbors grant is really strong

Leave a comment:

• Limeforever
    replied
    I worked LP for Lowe's, and saw what was destroyed that could have been donated, and saw what the previous manager was able to pass on to not just the fire dept. but also the local housing alliance, and Hab. for humanity and several other organizations. Several big chain stores have made great strides in their community relations departments, but many have sure missed the wagon when many opportunities have presented themselves.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Sounds like someone just got promoted and isn't remembering some basic management skills. Like marketing the help given to the FD instead of throwing it out. Things that draw in customers and whatnot...

Leave a comment:

• Limeforever
    replied
    Not the store, just the new manager. The old manager would give us wood thatw as damaged or that would have to be discounted to be sold, even some tools and stuff along those lines, new manager says she does not have any funding for grants and cannot give away any of those materials and throws them into the dumpster. My Lowe's stock has been performing pretty good, so I may need to speak to the district manager and see what he says.

Leave a comment:

• blaster668
    replied
    Folks,
    Please keep these "Non Traditional" funding / donation ideas coming.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Lowe's, Home Depot and others tend to include materials when it's an outing that the employees help out at. Like clean/fix up the station day or something like that. Even at cost it's a help.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf8552
    replied
    Originally posted by Limeforever View Post
    Now if I could just crack this new manager at Lowe's and get some goodies from them.
    We haven't received any cash or free stuff from the Lowe's in our area. However, they sell us stuff at cost. This has saved us several hundreds of dollars the last couple of years. I'm sure other retailers would be willing to do the same.

Leave a comment:

• Limeforever
    replied
    Wal Mart has been a very good neighbor to our departments. We usually get a couple thousand a year from them as well as having picked up several items from them that had been display items. Just have to build a good relationship with them. We do our shop with a Firefighter there, and they usually give us 1K just for that as well, since they are getting the money right back. Build the relationship, I know they must gets hundreds of request each quarter. Now if I could just crack this new manager at Lowe's and get some goodies from them.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Go down in uniform with letter in hand detailing some needs, reasons for the needs, reasons for the financial need, and just leave it with a "whatever you can do whenever you can do it" sentiment. Letter allows them to keep it on file or a bulletin board as things come up. That way it probably won't result in being asked about something you don't need, but there isn't much in there that a department couldn't need. They're not going to offer clothes or stuff like that, but I hear of some being offered cases of paper, ink cartridges, file cabinets, etc. And if for some reason there is something offered you don't need just politely say we appreciate the offer but we can't put it to use, maybe the pet shelter or another non-profit in the area could use it. Offer to help find someone that could use it. They'll appreciate the honesty and the help.

Leave a comment:

• blaster668
    replied
    Originally posted by BC79er View Post
    Don't forget the clearance stuff, if they have new models coming in they have to make the other stuff go away. Department in KS came to one of my workshops where I mentioned that, went home, and a couple months later got a real nice 50in flat panel they had no box, remote, or directions for.

Not saying you're going to get this or anything out of any store, but it's worth going down in uniform to the various retailers in your area and make some nice requests for the damaged box, clearance, etc, type stuff. All still works and if it's free why not.
    Can you give me a better idea of how you go about requesting these types of items? What do you do if offered something that you don't need?

Leave a comment:

• blaster668
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianB35 View Post
    We got 3500 from Walmart last year for our web based response system, I am responding, That paid for three years of service plus we bought a 42" flat screen TV and mount, from them. So they gave us a grant and a portion went right back to them.

Was this through an individual store with the community giving grant or was it a larger corporate grant?

Leave a comment:

• BrianB35
    replied
    We got 3500 from Walmart last year for our web based response system, I am responding, That paid for three years of service plus we bought a 42" flat screen TV and mount, from them. So they gave us a grant and a portion went right back to them.

Leave a comment:

• BC79er
    replied
    Don't forget the clearance stuff, if they have new models coming in they have to make the other stuff go away. Department in KS came to one of my workshops where I mentioned that, went home, and a couple months later got a real nice 50in flat panel they had no box, remote, or directions for.

Not saying you're going to get this or anything out of any store, but it's worth going down in uniform to the various retailers in your area and make some nice requests for the damaged box, clearance, etc, type stuff. All still works and if it's free why not.

Leave a comment:

• JNK735
    replied
    Just got $500, took me a year of calling but finally got it. The person I dealt with at the store was great, but the check came from corporate. they got the check in October and I finally got it last week. Time to try again!

Leave a comment:

• JayDudley
    replied
    Grant Money

We have not had any problems with the Walmart in our area. They are very courteous have always been very generous.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X