Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean diesel grant

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/diesel/grantfund.htm

This is a grant that International is stating is designed to get the older diesel engines off the street. Comes through both the federal and the states. States seem to be primarily using them for the larger city areas.

I was told it could pay for up to 25 percent of the truck, I suspect that may be chassis, but I am not by any means sure.

When I have time I will research if someone else does not do it first.

I looked it over a few months ago when it came out and really didn't see much that most departments could do with it. My first thought was hey, this might be worthwhile but, after reading up on it, I was not really impressed.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Comment

We've taken two cracks at this one, trying to replace the five, pre-emission-standard diesel engines on a 1927-era fireboat. The engines are so old - 1972 vintage - that they're not available on the EPA's Diesel Emissions Quantifier table.

The first attempt, we tried to figure out what questions meant and what information they wanted, and struggled to complete the necessary formulas. We listened carefully to the rejection de-brief (they called us and explained, step by step, what we did well and where we scored poorly!).

Our second attempt, we wrote the best danged application we could. When we submitted, the logistics chief and I agreed that we'd given it our very best shot. We failed again.

In the second de-brief, we learned that we'd done much better! This time we'd been awarded 25% of the total possible points... for our very best shot.

The logistics chief suggested that I spend time writing applications for grants where we actually have a chance of succeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdFloor View Post
        We've taken two cracks at this one, trying to replace the five, pre-emission-standard diesel engines on a 1927-era fireboat. The engines are so old - 1972 vintage - that they're not available on the EPA's Diesel Emissions Quantifier table.

The first attempt, we tried to figure out what questions meant and what information they wanted, and struggled to complete the necessary formulas. We listened carefully to the rejection de-brief (they called us and explained, step by step, what we did well and where we scored poorly!).

Our second attempt, we wrote the best danged application we could. When we submitted, the logistics chief and I agreed that we'd given it our very best shot. We failed again.

In the second de-brief, we learned that we'd done much better! This time we'd been awarded 25% of the total possible points... for our very best shot.

The logistics chief suggested that I spend time writing applications for grants where we actually have a chance of succeeding.
        Tough one to learn on guy, been there, done that many times. All part of the process brother ;you learn by doing and also by having a good solid basic understanding of how to tear those RFPs apart and give them what they want, to get what you need.Very simple rule in most grnats: take away all their reasons to say no and they are left with no choice but to say yes! Better luck next time!
        Kurt Bradley

Comment

Originally posted by ktb9780 View Post
          Tough one to learn on guy, been there, done that many times. All part of the process brother ;you learn by doing and also by having a good solid basic understanding of how to tear those RFPs apart and give them what they want, to get what you need.Very simple rule in most grnats: take away all their reasons to say no and they are left with no choice but to say yes! Better luck next time!
          That's exactly what we did the second time. (I paid attention in your class, Kurt!) Explicitly answered questions, demonstrated need, used appropriate jargon, the whole deal.

Fact is, there's just not a lot of EPA money available in this region, we were asking for all of it, and they really want to replace rolling stock that's on the road every day and not fireboat engines that get used a couple of times a week.

Gotta pick your battles, y'know?

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdFloor View Post
            That's exactly what we did the second time. (I paid attention in your class, Kurt!) Explicitly answered questions, demonstrated need, used appropriate jargon, the whole deal.

Fact is, there's just not a lot of EPA money available in this region, we were asking for all of it, and they really want to replace rolling stock that's on the road every day and not fireboat engines that get used a couple of times a week.

Gotta pick your battles, y'know?
            Yes and that was kind of my point, if you gave it your best shot but you saw that "priority" they had that "they really want to replace rolling stock that's on the road every day and not fireboat engines that get used a couple of times a week. " It was a long shot, but you gave it your best effort and it was not enough; you never know till you try but when I saw that same thing I thought it would also be really hard to even get a fire truck engine replaced also.
            Kurt Bradley

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse