Biding the AFG time with JAG/Byrne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biding the AFG time with JAG/Byrne

Not exactly fire service, but I found out today that my local county sheriff received enough from a JAG/Byrne application I developed to fund a couple of new patrol cars...Dodge Chargers, really hot-looking beasts with whole galaxies of flashers and top speeds in excess of 145.

I bring this up because I brought skills I learned from this board and the people on it to that process, and I wanted to thank you all. Brian especially. Grantwriting skills are eminently transferable, something I finally caught onto and have been putting to work for the last couple of years.

So don't despair if you know you've got the right stuff and yet the AFG's not coming through for you; there's always another program -- and even another agency.

Nice deal Ed, do are they going to let you do a test drive on one? Fiscal 2010 award? Haven't seen squat on Fiscal 2011 anything from DHS or DOJ yet. Everyone's slow in an election year.
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

If they are similar to the SRT Chargers...drive one. Even if they don't give you permission!!

earl

Comment

I asked if I could drive and the answer sadly was "No." They know my road-habits around here…which, truth be told, was probably a reason I started volunteering to write grants for the SO in the first place. Detente, you understand.

But I did climb into the driver's seat and play with the lights & so forth, and I noticed a few things. First, powerful weaponry within easy reach in every direction -- a shotgun, a nightstick, a big pistol-grip pepper spray bomb, etc. Then a bunch of monitoring hardware: a laser speed sensor, a dash cam with indestructible "black box" storage, an LED spotlight on a chrome swivel stick, a PA system, and more radios than I knew we worked with.

These cars are like rolling high-tech light tanks; I assume they carry special glass and maybe some door plating. If we ever get to that whole peak oil/TEOTWAWKI scenario where Mad Max takes over the highways, I'm making straight for the county auto yard and liberating one of these babies.

Brian: I'm waiting on a copy of the award letter so I can see the specifics for myself -- what I was told today was second-hand. Basically the way this worked is that I developed generic narratives (vehicles, equipment, staffing) for the SO to use on all their applications…they used these for USDA rural and for the Tennessee Governor's Highway Safety Office grants, for instance. I then tweak the narratives depending on specifics, and let them handle the detail-oriented app sections (budget, staffing, calls, etc.) And since I just got back from a two-month road trip I'm a little behind the curve. I don't always know right away when they file an application or get an award.

Green: I don't know if it's the V6 or the V8, but it's definitely the police package -- the performance steering, the severe-duty cooling, etc.
        Last edited by GratefulEd; 12-19-2010, 05:04 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X