SAFER Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAFER Help

Hello, We were lucky enough to get a 2009 SAFER Grant for R&R. A major part of our program is going to be reimbursment to employers who let their employees attend calls and / or training during regular work hours. This is a uncharted area for us. Is there any one else doing this that might be willing to share SOPs, Policies, Form templetes. lessons learned, Etc.??? Thanks in advance. [email protected]

We are using a Recruitment and Retention Enhancement Program, which reimburse the firefighters for there out of pocket expenses that they incur while training, answering calls, and all the other items that go into making the fire service operate. They are required to meet certain training and call criteria before being reimbursed. Our department is not fortunate enough to have members working within our jurisdiction, so the call portion would not work for us, but I am interested on the training side of your program to see if this would be another avenue for us to pursue. I would greatly appreciate any info that you could pass to me. Thank you and good luck with your program.
    Pea****[email protected]

Comment

Mike
      sorry about the email, try [email protected]

Comment

Also might want to check with an accountant on that since the businesses will have to report the payments to them. And if you don't mind post their response here since it would be something that others could probably do in their areas if the businesses were willing and they won't get nailed at tax time.
        Brian P. Vickers
        CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
        FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
        www.helpmewithgrants.com
        www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

Safer help

Your application & narrative should have contained an outline of how you proposed doing so. Build from there - and maintain that theme and you should not have a problem. The prior reply about working with the businesses is correct - especially around the end of each firm's fiscal year. i woudl recommend that be your first step - find out their fiscal calendars; it will help you plan out your work load. (hopefully they are not all on the same schedule)

Comment

Thanks for the hepl. We are planning to meet with local employers starting next month. Our SAFER Apllication has a good outline and that will be the starting point. I was hoping maybe someone else was already doing this and I could use their polices as part of the starting point. I always like to borrow others hardwork where I can!

Comment

You just might be the pioneer.

Comment

My question involves the hiring side. I understand that overtime costs are not included but my question involves benefit time. I included the cost of benefit time in my application (vacation, sick, personal) for the positions. Being that I must maintain the four firefighter standard, and obviously fill in the position during the use of the benefit time, can I include the cost of that day at the rate of the SAFER awarded firefighter. Basically, if the SAFER awarded firefigher makes $20 an hour, and I fill his shift with a firefighter that makes $30 an hour, can I submit the cost of the day at the rate of the awarded firefighter ($20) and pay the difference out of pocket? In my eyes it isn't paying overtime, it is paying for the benefit time that the SAFER firefighter uses. I'm not looking to circumvent the system, just one of those questions that pops up. If I can't use the money this way than there is no reason to budget for benefit time in the grant app.

Comment

Anyone have any insight on the question below. I am sure I can call and just ask but I was curious if anyone ever dealt with this issue. The second thing is now that we have been awarded when I look under the manage grant area there basically is nothing there. The only thing it will allow you to do is make an amendment. You can't place any payment requests. Has anyone ever managed one of these before? How does the process go? I understand that you place requests for funds on a quarterly basis, basically to recoup the costs from the prior quarter.

Originally posted by wtfd2940 View Post
                  My question involves the hiring side. I understand that overtime costs are not included but my question involves benefit time. I included the cost of benefit time in my application (vacation, sick, personal) for the positions. Being that I must maintain the four firefighter standard, and obviously fill in the position during the use of the benefit time, can I include the cost of that day at the rate of the SAFER awarded firefighter. Basically, if the SAFER awarded firefigher makes $20 an hour, and I fill his shift with a firefighter that makes $30 an hour, can I submit the cost of the day at the rate of the awarded firefighter ($20) and pay the difference out of pocket? In my eyes it isn't paying overtime, it is paying for the benefit time that the SAFER firefighter uses. I'm not looking to circumvent the system, just one of those questions that pops up. If I can't use the money this way than there is no reason to budget for benefit time in the grant app.

Comment

Since you can't do anything until the 1st day of the next quarter after you're awarded I'm not surprised nothing is there. Then again maybe they are too, they ran some upgrades to the award management application before Xmas. Could be some "undocumented features" as we liked to call them in the software world.

As far as I'm concerned, you were awarded enough money to put people on at their rate at the staffing level specified. If you put someone on that's supposed to collect OT for said shift to maintain the 4 (or whatever your number is) then yes you get to count $20 of the $30 paid to them as a SAFER cost since the spirit of the application is being held to. But if you said 4 and want to bring in a 5th then that cost is on you. All IMHO, but last I checked with anyone the partial billing of SAFER is what everyone else was doing when bringing in an OT person to cover a SAFER regular pay shift.
                    Brian P. Vickers
                    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
                    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
                    www.helpmewithgrants.com
                    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse